Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?

Go down 
+16
sidmaximus
Witchfinder
chewie
DeathCult
Lurideath
Andy
jstate
exact33
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
adrian
Speedmetalfreak
brokentulsa
James B.
EmoElmo
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Empty
PostSubject: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't know if I'm in the proper forum but It is a question that baffled me for Ages, There are numerous articles in the Web written about this, and based upon the suggestions and deliberations from others, Japanese pressing sound better, hence the heftier price tag...so far I only have 2 CDs in my shelf that I can Compare with, Exodus' "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" (Jap & US) and Helloween's "Rabbit Don't Come easy" (Jap & Germany)...I don't know if this is just an effing sonic illusion or something but they DO sound better (at least to my auditory perception), any thoughts on this one specially to those who own dual pressings?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 am

I don't know......but 1/2 hour after listening you're hungry again.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 am

I don't know if they sound better but they usually have some bonus tracks on them.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 am

I'm not sure about the sound, but i like japanese records because they always have some extra material.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 5:02 am

I think you're referring to the SHM CD?

Quote :
The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players.

I doubt there's much difference but it would be interesting to compare
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 am

I don't think they sound better - it all comes down to the production of the album not how it was pressed imo. Digital is digital no matter where it was pressed in the world.

The only difference in quality, if at all, is that Japanese CDs may be more durable and longer lasting but I think we discussed this before, I've had some CDs for over 2 - 3 decades now and they sound as good as the day I first bought them.

The real difference is that Japanese CDs come with bonus tracks and from time to time different packaging - they have mini lps and various types of digipacks and you may also get a more elaborate booklet. That will always dictate the price difference between Japanese and rest of the world releases.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 am

Maybe if you have a super duper advanced stereo system that costs thousands of dollars, you'd be able to tell the difference. If you just play your CDs on a plain ole piece of crap boom box it makes no nevermind.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I don't think they sound better - it all comes down to the production of the album not how it was pressed imo. Digital is digital no matter where it was pressed in the world.

The only difference in quality, if at all, is that Japanese CDs may be more durable and longer lasting but I think we discussed this before, I've had some CDs for over 2 - 3 decades now and they sound as good as the day I first bought them.

The real difference is that Japanese CDs come with bonus tracks and from time to time different packaging - they have mini lps and various types of digipacks and you may also get a more elaborate booklet. That will always dictate the price difference between Japanese and rest of the world releases.

I like the bonus material a lot in most cases but sometimes the prices can be pretty high.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:49 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Digital is digital no matter where it was pressed in the world.

There is actually what they call 'localized' remaster, means that if a CD is released 2 or 3 years after, that's where the secret remastering is done. I swear to God I can hear audible differences, albeit subtle, Japan versions sound clearer and punchier, Tho I need to further confirm this from other people who own dual pressing
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:22 am

Quote :
Japan versions sound clearer and punchier

I'm no expert and my set-up isn't top of the line but I know the Japanese versions I own of Overkill's Killing Kind and Diamond Head's Death and Progress sound, as you described, "clearer and punchier". I recently got X - Blue Blood and Anthem's s/t as Japanese imports and the sound of them on my car stereo was noticeably better than when I popped in a regular new release.

I only buy Japanese imports when I find them cheap. Love the bonus tracks. And though I can't read Japanese I also love the large fold-out liner notes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am

I've heard very few Japanese CDs that weren't at least some improvement over their US counterpart. Meticulous attention to detail in transferring, mastering and pressing, by a country that still values physical product.

Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

Sound is a pretty universal trait. Most CDs are pressed at the same, similar or indistinguishable bitrates, so no, they don't "sound better."

It is cheaper for Japan to import CD's than it is for them to sell them domestically. This is why many albums have bonus tracks or special artwork when released through Japanese record labels. It is their way to combat the price fluctuation and get Japanese consumers to buy domestically.

They don't sound any different, but you get more bang for your buck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:26 am

They sound the same. The reason they are priced more highly is because they can. Thus why artists are always putting extra songs on Japanese releases to make up for it. I was in Japan for a year and bought quite a few releases there and it was a pretty hefty price to pay for CD's and other stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:35 am

Lurideath wrote:
They sound the same. The reason they are priced more highly is because they can. Thus why artists are always putting extra songs on Japanese releases to make up for it. I was in Japan for a year and bought quite a few releases there and it was a pretty hefty price to pay for CD's and other stuff.

They do not "sound the same", I've done side-by-side comparisons of hundreds of Jazz CDs pressed in US, Europe and Japan. The Japanese CDs almost always have a different quality to them, this doesn't "always" mean they sound the best, but they are unique.

Usually with jazz recordings the Japanese masters have more dynamic range and aren't compressed as severely as their US counterparts. They seem to lean towards a warm sound ala vinyl instead of the crisp digital sheen. I would rather own the Japanese versions of the entire Blue Note catalog, I've never been happy with the US reissues.

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 am

Identical track/s from 2 different pressings have different WAVEFORMS when viewed under the Audacity software, the Japanese pressing is definitely less compressed, but only marginal thus less-Metallic/Digital sounding, As to all people insisting that "It is impossible because there is only one Digital source" I'd say take a closer look, It may sound ridiculous but the fact of the matter is, they don't sound exactly the same, the Japanese has a very ingenious way of improving the sound quality of a recording.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

I've never done side by side comparing mainly because I've never had nor probably ever have 2 copies (domestic & foreign) of a certain release. I fall into the category of wanting the japanese versions for the bonus material (on a side note:why do Japanses releases always have the bonus tracks?).

That said,I wouldn't be surprised in the least that the foreign version do indeed sound better.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 3:27 pm

Quote :
I was in Japan for a year and bought quite a few releases there and it was a pretty hefty price to pay for CD's and other stuff.

I've always wondered what Japanese prices were in Japan. I take it they are still high even if you are there. Or is the conversion to yen bad? Always wanted to make the trip myself.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Well I remember specifically 3 albums I bought over there.

One was Metallica's S/T (Black) album on CD and it was $25.00 US. Needless to say it was the worst 25 dollars I ever spent and the CD flew out the 6th story window of the barracks I was living in 40 minutes after I bought it. Japanese CD's seem to fly better than American CD's! This CD came with the bonus track "So What" by the Anti-Nowhere League

Another CD I bought was a 3 disc set of Black Sabbath The Ozzy Years. I remember that one costing me $55.00 US

And the other I specifically remember buying was Slayer's "Decade of Aggression" which ran me $35.00 US. It had 3 extra songs than the American release.

I remember buying more but can't remember the prices on them. I am sure they were all close to $25.00 though.

This was also 1991/1992 time frame and I was living in Okinawa. Maybe Okinawa's prices were higher than the mainland Japan's prices? Not sure on that.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've heard very few Japanese CDs that weren't at least some improvement over their US counterpart. Meticulous attention to detail in transferring, mastering and pressing, by a country that still values physical product.

Exactly what he said. So yes, they do sound better. I've ditched alot of stuff for it's Japenese counterparts over the years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 6:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
Meticulous attention to detail in transferring, mastering and pressing, by a country that still values physical product.

THIS

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 7:17 pm

I have lots of Japanese releases. They do sound better but I don't know if they are of a high enough quality to justify the price. I will say the Japanese Dio remasters are excellent. Glad I got those.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I have some japan versions and I dont notice a lot of difference.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 am

On the note about secret remastering and someone also mentioned the Dio albums sounding better - yes I can see that point and I am sure it occurs from time to time for certain albums.

It's not all that unusual that certain albums get remastered editions in particular territories / countries around the world so I think Japan is no exception here except maybe it might happen more often than we know about it.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 4:01 am

Damn, Me want those Dio Re-Masters, These Standard Dio releases that I bought sounded too 'mushy' to my liking except for the modern "Strange Highways"
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice
sidmaximus

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm no expert in the technical aspect of this but I can tell Japanese pressings sounds better than their US and Germany counterparts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?   JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JAPAN-pressed CDs : Do they Sound Better?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next