Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Empty
PostSubject: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:04 pm

I am looking forward to Samm Dunn's Metal Evolution on VH1 an 11 part series that will beginning airing on 11-11-11 and is based on his chart he used in his film :

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Metal_Genealogy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I am looking forward to watching this and just curious if anyone else is and what thoughts if any you have on what the program might be like and who do you look forward to hearing from, anyone not included who should be, etc
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I notice a number of errors. Children of Bodom have never been a thrash metal band, for one. And how is Opeth a gothic metal band? Also, there is a difference between doom metal and stoner metal. Candlemass are pretty much the epitome of doom metal, but are not a stoner metal band at all.

There are others, too, but these are a few that came to mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I haven't looked to see how different Sam Dunn's metal genealogy is today compared to when I started a thread on this in 2008, but here is the original link. I'm definitely stoked about this, since it's an eleven part series!

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/t7791-metal-genealogy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Uh oh, were are the genre police that will scream bloody murder that 1970's bands are being labeled "heavy metal". After all, there was no heavy metal in the 70's outside of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

There are a few bands in that chart that don't seem to fit into the category they are listed under.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I hate how people categorize Mercyful Fate as Black Metal. Sure, King wore corpse paint, but their music resembles black metal in no way, shape, or form.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Judging by the lists it looks way too stereotypical and safe-commercial-friendly to me, but we shall see. This dude already discredited himself instantly by putting several genre-defining bands in wrong boxes, so I have no expectations whatsoever.

And what's up with not having the most important box of them all -> "Traditional/Classic HEAVY METAL". Would have helped him to avoid such embarrassment as to naming Scorpions "power metal" Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I got this from wiki so who knows how accurate or if this even the same one he used, but Samm Dunn knows alot about metal and his taste run the whole spectrum of the genre, unlike Eddie Trunk, and I am sure this is going to be a kick ass serious on VH1/
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:34 pm

King Diamond did not wear "corpsepaint" as it did not really exist as such at the time...King Diamond wore Kabuki-inspired facepaint ala KISS. They categorize him as Black Metal mainly because of the Satanic/Occultic imagery that was influential on future Black Metal musicians...

If King Diamond wore "corpsepaint" , then so did Alice Cooper, KISS and The Misfits...

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
King Diamond did not wear "corpsepaint" as it did not really exist as such at the time...King Diamond wore Kabuki-inspired facepaint ala KISS. They categorize him as Black Metal mainly because of the Satanic/Occultic imagery that was influential on future Black Metal musicians...

If King Diamond wore "corpsepaint" , then so did Alice Cooper, KISS and The Misfits...

Well, the style of makeup is what I meant. Not necessarily corpsepaint, but you get what I was talking about. But I do think that Black metal artists just took his and Kiss' and Cooper's look to next level.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 am

Dunn's chart (in the first movie I seen by him) had obvious errors.
Ever since then, seeing that, and including many of today's "stars" who were interviewed,
and nothing to do with thrash metal instead of more bands that were influential,
have not cared much about what he releases.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 am

Skid Row isn't glam metal. Suicidal Tendencies isn't metalcore. And Pantera wasn't thrash...
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 am

Troublezone wrote:
Skid Row isn't glam metal. Suicidal Tendencies isn't metalcore. And Pantera wasn't thrash...

EXACTLY!
Skid Row were heavy metal, plain and simple, with some songs in the NWOBHM and light thrash styles,
but nobody would classify them as that.

S.T.
If Dunn was going by what punk mag MRR (Maximum Rock n Roll) was calling metalcore in the early 1980s,
then it would have been like the first 2 C.O.C. lp's, The Accused, The Dehumanizers, etc
but pretty quick the terms metal-damaged hardcore,
or crossover were used more often than metal-core, or punk metal.
Metalcore was what was a little simpler and choppy.
S.T. was as much speed/thrash metal as it was hardcore punk since their start,
so they nicely fit that crossover label I thought.

Pantera had thrashy songs.
I could never find a category that fit them perfectly
after they went as heavy as they could.
Never liked the term Groove Metal either.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am

mlotek wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

EXACTLY!
Skid Row were heavy metal, plain and simple, with some songs in the NWOBHM and light thrash styles,
but nobody would classify them as that.

S.T.
If Dunn was going by what punk mag MRR (Maximum Rock n Roll) was calling metalcore in the early 1980s,
then it would have been like the first 2 C.O.C. lp's, The Accused, The Dehumanizers, etc
but pretty quick the terms metal-damaged hardcore,
or crossover were used more often than metal-core, or punk metal.
Metalcore was what was a little simpler and choppy.
S.T. was as much speed/thrash metal as it was hardcore punk since their start,
so they nicely fit that crossover label I thought.

Pantera had thrashy songs.
I could never find a category that fit them perfectly
after they went as heavy as they could.
Never liked the term Groove Metal either.

Yeah, Suicidal were Crossover. And Pantera was aggressive Power Groove.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 am

This chart was maybe just cool visual guide used for the movie, the idea for the series came from this chart but I am sure the series will reflect the history and evolution of the music.

As far as genre, who belongs to what genre, I could careless. Metal in one form or another has been already around since 1968-69, and it has evolved into a giant umbrella that included band everyone from Poison to Possessed to Children of Bodom to AC/DC.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 am

I'm looking forward to it. My expectations are on the low-ish side of things, but if I'm entertained for the time I'm watching it, I'll be happy. That Dunn guy does have a passion about music, so at least he's got that going for him.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm looking forward to it. My expectations are on the low-ish side of things, but if I'm entertained for the time I'm watching it, I'll be happy. That Dunn guy does have a passion about music, so at least he's got that going for him.

I wonder if Freddy's hero Eddie ' Ace once my potty' Trunk will be interviewed for the program, since he is considered Mr Metal by many peps.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am

I love metal fans. "Oh, yeah, these acclaimed, widely-seen documentaries about metal, yeah those are nice, whatever. But the guy is clearly a poser because some little chart that probably isn't even his doesn't meet my exacting demands!"

I do like his movies (Global Metal being my favorite of the bunch) and I'm looking forward to the show.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 am

manny wrote:
Freddy's hero Eddie Trunk

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! VH1 Classic Metal Evolution 505193

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

His other films were pretty good, so this should at least be entertaining. Not really expecting any "new" information out of it though.

The list isn't too bad outside of some obvious genre mis identifications. My one complaint would be: no Diamond Head in the NWOBHM category? Seriously? Lightning To The Nations is one of the most influential metal albums, how could you over look them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:44 am

I have loved the movies he has made, 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' 'Global Metal" Rus: Beyond the LimeLight' and "Flight 666' where all great films IMO, so I am looking forward to this series.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
Freddy's hero Eddie Trunk

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! VH1 Classic Metal Evolution 505193

LMAO!!!!!

Conversely, will Eddie "Insert your favorite Eddie Trunk joke here" Trunk have Sam on his show?

and I agree with Manny - Sam has tons more knowledge than trunky boy. I would love to see Sam and Eddie go head to head to head on stump the (can't think of a good one right now).
One funny story about Trunk - when Maiden played Ft Lauderdale, Trunk held a book signing near by and attended the show. After the show, I saw him and told my friend (who is on the same wavelength as most of use here about Trunk) "Dude, look it's your buddy" so he turns around ready to shoot the bird, sees it's Trunk and quickly changes to a wave to be nice - he did wave back.

We still laugh about that one!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:49 am

manny wrote:
I have loved the movies he has made, 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' 'Global Metal" Rus: Beyond the LimeLight' and "Flight 666' where all great films IMO, so I am looking forward to this series.

I am with you! I can't wait for his next two films - Rush:Live In Cleveland and, duh the more important one, Maiden in South America Final Frontier Tour.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm

I hope this is released on DVD. I like his documentaries. (Still haven't seen Global Metal though).

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:49 pm

I've only seen Dunn's "Headbanger's Journey" and Rush documentaries (I still have "Flight 666" recorded onto a DVD somewhere, but have never watched it!) and dug both of them. The guy seems to know his stuff.

I doubt the chart pictured above is going to be the exact backbone of this forthcoming series. Lord knows he's probably had so many e-mails and letters from angry genre nit pickers that he's probably revised it several times by now. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next