Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ain't no Love ...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:37 am

In the new movie American Gangster with Denzel and Russell Crowe,
during the trailer there is a remixed rap version of Whitesnake's
"Ain't no Love in the Heart of the City" I wanted to puke. What do you
guys think of "sampling" rock songs or co-opting them for other
purposes? Very Happy or Sad ?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 11:18 am

I think it's terrible. There is a whole generation growing up thinking of Puff Daddy and Godzilla when they hear "Kashmir". And shame of Jimmy Page for not only allowing it, but playing on it as well.
Back to top Go down

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Sure sampling ruins classic songs, BUT it also brings it to a whole new audience who recognize it and associate it with something they like thus maybe getting them into something better. I know a few rap fans, that when out and bought some Zeppelin after the Puff Daddy thing.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 2:27 pm

firestar wrote:
Sure sampling ruins classic songs, BUT it also brings it to a whole new audience who recognize it and associate it with something they like thus maybe getting them into something better. I know a few rap fans, that when out and bought some Zeppelin after the Puff Daddy thing.

Good point there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Rap artists have been sampling rock and metal songs for years, but I think that rap sucks nowadays. I love groups like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys('80s and '90s), but rap is so bad and "gangsta" now that it makes metal heads and rockers alike angry at the sheer stupidity of the lyrics that they put over the sampled songs. If this makes any sense? I'm very tired typing this Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 9:40 pm

At least the rock bands get paid now for the samples used Wink Black Sabbath doesn't get any credit for the Sweet Leaf riff being used in the Beastie Boys Rhymin and Stealin (I think thats the song) on Liscensed to Ill.

For a really interesting sample check out the first Atari Teenage Riot album. Industrial/Experimental techno stuff with Slayer samples.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 5:16 pm

the sentinel wrote:
In the new movie American Gangster with Denzel and Russell Crowe,
during the trailer there is a remixed rap version of Whitesnake's
"Ain't no Love in the Heart of the City" I wanted to puke. What do you
guys think of "sampling" rock songs or co-opting them for other
purposes? Very Happy or Sad ?

Tone Loc got the most run for sampling the drum intro to 'Jamie's Crying' for 'Funky Cold Medina'..... If memory serves right that happened before Run DMC/Aerosmith.... It was a pure blatant rip off.... At the time Van Halen didn't need the support..... these days.... maybe a different story...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Ain't no Love ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ain't no Love ...   Ain't no Love ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ain't no Love ...
Page 1 of 1