Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Tesla Album...sort of

Go down 
+13
Lari
glassprison
MetalRob331
Dark Horseman
corplhicks
DallasBlack
Red Kitty
James B.
Getizzyback
kethdredd
Smindas
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Tesla Album...sort of Empty
PostSubject: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Kind of a mixed bag of new and old. Seems like something kinda thrown together to keep fans happy till the next "real" album.

Quote :
California rockers TESLA will release "Twisted Wires And The Acoustic Sessions" on July 12. The album will feature six songs that were recorded back in 2005 at bassist Brian Wheat's J Street Recorders studio — which also serve as the last recordings with original member Tommy Skeoch — and six newly recorded tracks, including acoustic remakes of songs from TESLA's entire catalog and two brand new songs, "Second Street" and "Better Off Without You".

New Tesla Album...sort of Teslatwistedwires

Don't think I'll be busting at the seams for this, but I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point down the road. Old or new, electric or acoustic, Tesla never fails to deliver.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Definitely something to keep the fans happy. It's gotta be tough being an 80s rock band these days, so it's always cool when a band tries to give the fans something. Unlike, you know, Cinderella and Slaughter.

Although I'm not sure I want to hear Mark Slaughter sing ever again. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, not to derail the thread, but Slaughter's voice is gone. Plain and simple. A shame, though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, not to derail the thread, but Slaughter's voice is gone. Plain and simple. A shame, though.
I wonder if he can still sing, but just not like he used to. Like, could he do a new Slaughter album in a lower register?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Quote :
so it's always cool when a band tries to give the fans something. Unlike, you know, Cinderella

I'll never understand why they couldn't put something to throw out there other than endless comps or lame live albums. I know Tom's had his vocal issues, but couldn't they clean out the archives or record something acoustic? A disc of rarities maybe? Surely they have some material in the vaults that could be put together. Something. Anything.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
I wonder if he can still sing, but just not like he used to. Like, could he do a new Slaughter album in a lower register?
You know, that's a fair point. He might well be fine if he stayed away from the highs, but that would mean reinventing a lot of Slaughter's discography for the live shows. It's gotta be better than he's doing now, mind.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Well, I can't fault them for the compilations and live albums. Those are just labels doing that. One buys the rights, repackages and re-releases the same songs, then later sells it to another worthless label who does the same thing.

Keifer recently talked about this:

Quote :
Metal Shrine: What about a new album then?

Tom: There's nothing on the horizon right now. We attempted that in '98 with Sony and [former A&R executive] John Kalodner and it turned into a big legal hassle and lawsuit, which prevented us from recording the material that they claimed they owned, for five years.

Metal Shrine: Wow!

Tom: Even though they didn't want to record it. It's typical in recording contracts. It's called re-record rights. Once they claim they own the songs, you can't re-record it for five years. They claimed ownership and decided not to make the record. It was like two years of writing and demos of material that we weren't allowed to record. Needless to say, we had a slightly bad taste in our mouth. We kind of recovered from that and got our heads back together and in the interim everyone was kind of working on their own projects and I started a solo record and Eric [Brittingham, bass] was doing something and everyone was doing their own thing. The band just continued to tour and we did two or three more tours after that and then the voice problems hit me in '06, so it's kind of been like one thing after another. And for, like, the last six, eight years, we just feel like we've been hanging on by our claws and the thing that just always works for us is touring. We go out and we tour and we have fun with our fans and then even that went away in '06 when that voice stuff came. We were off the road again for four years. Last year was kind of like starting over again and we went out to tour. In terms of a new record, it's not that there's a lack of desire, it's just that we've had a lot pushing us down that we've been trying to crawl back from. The last four years before the tour last year, I think we were all just more worried whether we were even gonna be a band again, because the stuff with my voice was so serious that the future of the band was literally a question mark. Last year we were getting our legs and we're getting back on the road now, so… to answer the question of a new record, it would be great to do. I know it would have to be the right situation and a label who is really serious in making a great record and producing it right. You never know. We'll see if that opportunity pops up. I'm getting ready to put mine out, hopefully this year. I'm shopping for a deal right now. I wanna see that through and you'll never know what the future will hold, but we are certainly open to the idea.
Kind of sucks. Yeah, they couldn't re-record that stuff for five years, and then Tom's voice crapped out on him. But what about new material? Hell, what about old material? Did you check out those demos I posted? Some of those songs are fantastic! All unreleased, all from way back in the day. Put those together in something, even an EP!

I'm always baffled why interviewers don't ask deeper questions. Like, why not press him on it, ask him why he doesn't give the fans something, even just a song or two?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
You know, that's a fair point. He might well be fine if he stayed away from the highs, but that would mean reinventing a lot of Slaughter's discography for the live shows. It's gotta be better than he's doing now, mind.
I think it'd be great if they found a new singer and he just took a step back and played guitar. In fact, I'd have a lot of respect for something like that.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I remember reading that Keifer interview a while back and you're right, it doesn't really explain why they couldn't offer a little something up to fans. As for why interviewers don't ask questions like that, time is limited and the word-count for the final write up usually is too - sometimes you just can't ask without covering the necessary things or you do ask, but can't justify putting it in the final article. It's weird, but there is a bit of discouragement when it comes to asking slightly... nerdier questions, for lack of a better descriptive term.

As for the Slaughter sitch, it would be a hugely gracious move on Mark's part to do that. But how like do you think it is that Mark Slaughter is going to stop being the singer for a band named after him? He's meant to be the focal point (although Dana Strum would probably argue otherwise).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Man, these cats are so good.

https://www.facebook.com/TeslaTheBand?sk=app_178091127385

Check out that version of "Hang Tough," if you can. Pretty kick ass! Never could have imagined it in acoustic form. Production sounds fairly loose and raw, but it works. It'll probably sound a little better on the album.

Looking forward to this one a little more now.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 10:17 pm

I think Cinderella got locked up with legal difficulties. Basically they couldn't release anything under the Cinderella name if I'm remembering correctly.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
Did you check out those demos I posted? Some of those songs are fantastic! All unreleased, all from way back in the day. Put those together in something, even an EP!

Were those the "Fox On The Run" or "The Basement Tapes" demos you posted?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 am

Getizzyback wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Did you check out those demos I posted? Some of those songs are fantastic! All unreleased, all from way back in the day. Put those together in something, even an EP!

Were those the "Fox On The Run" or "The Basement Tapes" demos you posted?
I posted the Basement Tapes. Are they the same as the Fox On The Run demos?

EDIT: Wow! Looks like there are even more unreleased tracks on the Fox on the Run boot. Just downloaded it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am

Sleaze Roxx gave this a pretty decent review...

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/tesla/twistedwires.shtml

This makes it sound a little more interesting to me. I might get it sooner than later now.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am

I've alreday had this stuff for quite awhile (though only demos of the two new tunes) There are alot more recordings of the last Tommy acoustic shows, hopefully they'll release all of it someday ?
Stil I'm gonna purchase to supprt the dudes.

I wish they'd release the "acoustic covers" stuff... I can see how cliche' that'd be....being they have two covers cds and acoustic projects in the past. Oh well... I can aways listen to them mysef. It's a bummer that I can't share it with others. If I did, I'd get thrown out of that car pretty quick.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Definitely something to keep the fans happy. It's gotta be tough being an 80s rock band these days, so it's always cool when a band tries to give the fans something. Unlike, you know, Cinderella and Slaughter.

Although I'm not sure I want to hear Mark Slaughter sing ever again. Haha.

I know I personally don't want to hear him sing ever again. Never liked his voice in the first place...lol
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

This new-ish album of Tesla is very good.

I wasn't exactly champing at the bit to get this mostly acoustic re-hash of old Tesla songs, but you know what? It's good. They put a nice spin on things just enough to keep it interesting. I found myself humming the songs in my head long after it was over. Jeff's voice seems a little croaky here and there, but otherwise sounds fine. Recommended for long-time fans of the band.

In other news, Tesla provided a soundtrack...

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/01069.shtml

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I wasn't exactly champing at the bit...
Three cheers cheers cheers for not saying "chomping!" Haha. Pet peeve of mine. =)

And yeah, it's a solid album. Nothing amazing, but really good. I wish they'd done a few more uptempo tunes, though. I think Tesla's weakness is their ballads. Some are excellent, but most of them are just okay, in my opinion.

And how the hell could they not include "Heaven's Trail?" That song could easily have done acoustically.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am

Quote :
Three cheers cheers cheers for not saying "chomping!" Haha. Pet peeve of mine. =)

I saw the Grammer Nazis were patrolling the other threads and wanted to make sure all my papers were in order.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I saw the Grammer Nazis were patrolling the other threads and wanted to make sure all my papers were in order.
lol!

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

They'd probably arrest me as I use that phrase as well as buttload instead of boatload.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Bumpity-bump...

New studio tune from Tesla. Get it here or itunes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EFENCUW/ref=dm_sp_alb

Or watch a crappy fan-recorded live version here...

Hope this means a new album is heading our way soon.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm

If Tesla releases a new album, it will be flawless. This is a law in Heavy Metal physics. These guys should be gods by now.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Bought the new tune the day it was released. It's just okay. Sounds like Jeff's voice is in decline. =(
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:39 am

Noticed that on the last concert video. Still good music to my ear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tesla Album...sort of   New Tesla Album...sort of Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Tesla Album...sort of
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: