Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"

Go down 
+3
the sentinel
candlemass
7 posters
AuthorMessage

New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Empty
PostSubject: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 11:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL6ZA6VHAZ4

I dig it. I think their more rock-oriented, mid-paced songs are best. I even like the self-titled album.

And for no reason whatsoever, I'll say that "Falling Into Fantasy" is my favorite song by them. Such a killer tune.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 2:11 pm

I like it. Stratovarius really hasn't disappointed me yet.I have all their releases except for the self-titled album.My favorite song of theirs though is older - The Hills Have Eyes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 3:49 pm

007 wrote:
I like it. Stratovarius really hasn't disappointed me yet.I have all their releases except for the self-titled album.My favorite song of theirs though is older - The Hills Have Eyes.
I have nothing of their early stuff. I think I just have from Infinite on. And don't let the reviews and fan opinion sway you from the self-titled. I thought it was going to be horrible, so I waited a long time before pulling it from a used bin. It is not terrible at all. I did a forum review on it back in March of '06:

Quote :

STRATOVARIUS - STRATOVARIUS (Melodic Rock/Metal)
New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" H00174p1e9h

So I finally found this used ($8 ). It's not nearly as bad as I was expecting, in fact I find it to be quite good. Sure, it's not power metal or even close to that, but it is a solid melodic rock/metal album. "Maniac Dance" is still an OK song, and it still reminds me of Extreme, but it was definitely a bad choice for a single as there are far better tunes on the CD. "Fight!!!" totally sounds like Def Leppard's "Let's Get Rocked" at the beginning, hahaha, but it's a really good tune and would have been a better choice for a single.

Other standouts include "Just Carry On," "Back To Madness," "Leave The Tribe" and "United." The only song I didn't really care for was "Gypsy In Me"—the beginning of which totally reminds me of Helloween's "I Can" or "Mr. Torture," or maybe both. Anyway, this is definitely not a bad CD at all. It's amazing that after all the bullshit with the band they were able to churn out something even this good. It's on par with the same style change Edguy has shown us on Rocket Ride, more rock-oriented than power metal, but still very good. Rocket Ride is better, though.

Rating: 70/100
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Awesome song! This gives me hope!  Sounds like Paradise mixed with some Elements I.  Guitar solos are back, Jens' keys are back, double bass is back, Strato... I hope to God they are back!  Their last release was horrible, it honestly made me throw up in my mouth.  This is one of my favorite bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 4:45 pm

metalness wrote:
Awesome song! This gives me hope! Sounds like Paradise mixed with some Elements I. Guitar solos are back, Jens' keys are back, double bass is back, Strato... I hope to God they are back! Their last release was horrible, it honestly made me throw up in my mouth. This is one of my favorite bands.
lol!

I see you're consistent in your opinions. Haha. Still hate it, huh?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Eh, nothing special here, I like the band overall though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 9:53 pm

I really want to get into these guys I just have three more Hammerfall cd's to buy and listen to and then it's onto the wealth of used Stratovarius cd's at my local Newbury comics. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 9:57 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I really want to get into these guys I just have three more Hammerfall cd's to buy and listen to and then it's onto the wealth of used Stratovarius cd's at my local Newbury comics. 🤘
Wealth? Where the hell do you live? I may have to visit that store. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 10:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
007 wrote:
I have nothing of their early stuff. I think I just have from Infinite on. And don't let the reviews and fan opinion sway you from the self-titled. I thought it was going to be horrible, so I waited a long time before pulling it from a used bin. It is not terrible at all. I did a forum review on it back in March of '06:

Quote :

STRATOVARIUS - STRATOVARIUS (Melodic Rock/Metal)
New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" H00174p1e9h

So I finally found this used ($8 ). It's not nearly as bad as I was expecting, in fact I find it to be quite good. Sure, it's not power metal or even close to that, but it is a solid melodic rock/metal album. "Maniac Dance" is still an OK song, and it still reminds me of Extreme, but it was definitely a bad choice for a single as there are far better tunes on the CD. "Fight!!!" totally sounds like Def Leppard's "Let's Get Rocked" at the beginning, hahaha, but it's a really good tune and would have been a better choice for a single.

Other standouts include "Just Carry On," "Back To Madness," "Leave The Tribe" and "United." The only song I didn't really care for was "Gypsy In Me"—the beginning of which totally reminds me of Helloween's "I Can" or "Mr. Torture," or maybe both. Anyway, this is definitely not a bad CD at all. It's amazing that after all the bullshit with the band they were able to churn out something even this good. It's on par with the same style change Edguy has shown us on Rocket Ride, more rock-oriented than power metal, but still very good. Rocket Ride is better, though.

Rating: 70/100

It's not that I've been avoiding it,I just can't seem to find it.It's never in the used bins and the one store I can find it new in,they want $18.99 for it. No way I'm paying that. I will get it someday.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 12:25 am

I dunno. I used to be a huge fan circa "Twilight Time"; but it seems like after awhile they based so many songs on Finnish folk rythyms that they all started to sound the same to me (doodle, doodle, doodle, doo). Perhaps though, they have returned to their strengths (like Amorphis did). I haven't bought anything since Elements One.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 12:51 am

007 wrote:
It's not that I've been avoiding it,I just can't seem to find it.It's never in the used bins and the one store I can find it new in,they want $18.99 for it. No way I'm paying that. I will get it someday.
Not many CDs are worth that much. This is a used bin buy, definitely.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I dunno. I used to be a huge fan circa "Twilight Time"; but it seems like after awhile they based so many songs on Finnish folk rythyms that they all started to sound the same to me (doodle, doodle, doodle, doo). Perhaps though, they have returned to their strengths (like Amorphis did). I haven't bought anything since Elements One.

That is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 8:28 am

After VISIONS i lost track on the band but i like their new song very much.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Wealth? Where the hell do you live? I may have to visit that store. Haha.

Rhode Island. By the way, I'm done with Hammerfall, picked up Threshold today and it's spinning in the player right now. Tomorrow I begin building the Stratovarius collection 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Ah, you're lucky. I'm not driving to RI!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Where are you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Where are you? Very Happy
MA.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:13 pm

There are 18 Newbury Comics stores in Mass. I'm headin' to the one on Rt.1 as soon as I'm done playin' here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Check out this video. It has a sample of a new song and it sounds pretty cool. Not too much different from their other stuff but I think the guitar playing is better than tolkki's used to be. Hopefully this new guitarist will breathe some new life into this band as it seems to be already with this short clip.

BTW I dont drink, but all I have to say is ......BEER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEkFVo-IV8

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 pm

didn't they went separate ways?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Nope. they just dont know if they are keeping the name or not

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 am

why is that?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Probably because of Tolkki. Since hes not in the band then they probably feel they should change the name even though they supposedly own all the rights to the Stratovarius name. I say they should just keep it. Who cares its just a name and the people that are in the band are the ones that everyone is familiar with anyway. Just the song writer isnt there and he wasnt the greatest anyway. The band needed something to change and I think with Tolkki leaving thats a good change. People have grown to be sick of all his BS.

PostSubject: Re: New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"   New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Stratovarius Song: "Last Night On Earth"
Page 1 of 1