Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead

Go down 
+4
GrandNational
Troublezone
AchrisK
Wargod
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Empty
PostSubject: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 pm

http://www.serjtankian.com

I dig it! Sounds like SOAD, but also a bit different. Serj wrote a few SOAD songs, so I knew he was capable. Not sure how many people here dig them, but here it is in case you do.

Last edited by on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Sorry not a fan! But glad you like it!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 1:00 am

The song does sound like System, in lyrics and music. I like it. He says it's not like any other song on his record. I wonder what that means. I didn't realize he was making a solo record. Is SOAD still active?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 1:54 am

AchrisK wrote:
The song does sound like System, in lyrics and music. I like it. He says it's not like any other song on his record. I wonder what that means. I didn't realize he was making a solo record. Is SOAD still active?
SOAD is on a break. They say they've not broken up, just doing some solo stuff. I know Shavo has started a music company and he's been a lot of video directing. He's also doing some project with the Wu-Tang Clan or something like that. John is just doing some guest drumming, and he's got a comic book store or company (can't remember) that he's running. Daron has an upcoming project called Scars on Broadway with Casey from Amen. And Serj has his solo stuff. I bet the album is really eclectic. He's that kind of artist. Have you ever heard the Serart album he did with Arto? Lots of weird stuff going on, but a pretty good listen when you want something weird and mellow.

I look forward to the album. Like I said, he's written a few SOAD songs—"Shimmy" and "Johnny" are two I can think of off the top of my head—so he's capable of writing good tunes. And he wrote 95% of SOADs lyrics. I just worry that his eccentricities will take away from the music, you know? We'll see...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 2:13 pm

His voice irritates. sick
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 4:47 pm

troublezone wrote:

Why, because he can actually sing and do things with his voice way too many people can't?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 6:05 pm

GrandNational wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Why, because he can actually sing and do things with his voice way too many people can't?
Not sure how his voice could be annoying.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Not sure how his voice could be annoying.

I always thought his voice is unique and different. I huess you eighter love it or hate it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I always thought his voice is unique and different. I huess you eighter love it or hate it.
He's definitely got a unique voice, and he has some really cool techniques. He does seem to have that sort of love/hate kind of voice. I'm not sure why, though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am

Hey i'm just giving my personal opinion. You can like him all you want but to me he sounds really strange like a auctioneer or something. He's really cartoony, kind of like Les Claypool from primus but different. I just don't like the way his voice sounds and it takes away from some of his serious social/political lyrics IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:04 pm

troublezone wrote:
Hey i'm just giving my personal opinion. You can like him all you want but to me he sounds really strange like a auctioneer or something. He's really cartoony, kind of like Les Claypool from primus but different. I just don't like the way his voice sounds and it takes away from some of his serious social/political lyrics IMO.

I'm with you. From the little I've heard from this band, the music was ok, but I found his voice annoying. Not my thing.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 3:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
troublezone wrote:

I'm with you. From the little I've heard from this band, the music was ok, but I found his voice annoying. Not my thing.

I guess the goofy/nasaly vocals are what sets him apart. Like I said, you either love him or hate him, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 3:32 pm

And for the record, SOAD have very few political songs. Maybe 10 out of all their albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 2:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
And for the record, SOAD have very few political songs.
Maybe 10 out of all their albums.

Don't they have only 3 records? 10 political songs is a lot for 3 records.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 2:33 am

I just checked and i guess they have a double album and a e.p. also. But i still say 10 is a lot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 3:10 am

troublezone wrote:
I just checked and i guess they have a double album and a e.p. also. But i still say 10 is a lot.
They have five albums: self-titled, Toxicity, Steal This Album!, Mezmerize, Hypnotize. Their song count from albums, EPs, singles, and unreleased material—and I have more than most since I know the band—is roughly 110 songs. 10 out of 110 doesn't make you a political band.

The only reason I mention this is because it drives me insane that so many people call them a political band. Serj is into politics, but it reflects little in his lyrics. Not a big deal here, of course, but on other forums people lash out at the band like their some anti-American, propaganda-spewing terrorist group. It's retarded.

EDIT: I just did a quick count, and they probably have a bout 7 songs that are really political. Those are songs that are very overt in their message. But that's it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 7:59 pm

Well they are involved in a anti-turkish political thing. Not that i don't think they have a right cuz they do (armenians) after being oppressed by the ottoman empire and latter day turkey also. But my point is they do have a political agenda underneath all their silliness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 pm

troublezone wrote:
Well they are involved in a anti-turkish political thing. Not that i don't think they have a right cuz they do (armenians) after being oppressed by the ottoman empire and latter day turkey also. But my point is they do have a political agenda underneath all their silliness.
No, they don't. Serj does. Serj is involved with Axis of Justice with Tom Morello. Serj is the one that wrote Understanding Oil. Serj is the one that's politically motivated, not the other band members.

Four Armenians wanting to get Washington, or the world, to acknowledge that the Armenian Genocide happened doesn't make them political. Nearly all Armenians are like that. Daron says his grandfather doesn't know how old he is. That's crazy. Of course they're going to have a vested interest in that issue.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 am

Ok whatever. I just don't like his voice that much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEl7fr5L39s

:lol!:

This album is going to be awesome!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks Eyesore. This was pretty cool. Having met Serj once and his brother Sevag two weeks ago, I can testify to their brand of humour. Good guys all around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 pm

Another new video. This one for "Empty Walls."

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17923787

I must admit, I really love this video. I hate sound effects in videos, though. Great song, too.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 2:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
Another new video. This one for "Empty Walls."

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17923787

I must admit, I really love this video. I hate sound effects in videos, though. Great song, too.

Agreed, Here's something you might like: Serj + Foo Fighter's covering the Dead Kennedy's "Holiday in Cambodia." There's also a video with Lemmy at the bottom end for you Motorhead fans.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1568781&vid=174600
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 3:27 am

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty cool cover!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Another new video:

SAVING US

Serj's vocal tones on this one are a little different, it took me a few spins to get used to it. Either way, another really solid tune, but the previous two I like better. The video is awesome, though! He's putting together some good videographers for this album. Great performance by the homeless guy. I actually was sad watching this video. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead   Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serj Tankian (Of System Of A Down) - Elect The Dead
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next