Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

all things Death Metal

Go down 
+18
DeathCult
manny
Dave the Boss
Gilbert
SlaytanicPOWER
exact33
Required Fields
DallasBlack
nevermore
adrian
Joe
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
allthingsmetal
mc666
bassman
Alex Dee Rokket
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

all things Death Metal Empty
PostSubject: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Well I was trying to come up with a thread about a specific death metal band but I couldn't choose one ..

This is more motivated by the fact that I got Cannibal Corpse's Evisceration Plague this week and while I heard it before I feel I have a new found appreciation for the album. I could be alone on this one but I feel that CC have grown a lot with this album. I look at this album in much the same way as "The Bleeding" - and while it took the current line-up more time to get to this point I feel like they've matured a lot with this album. It's not too dissimilar to KILL but it is a bit more refined, there's a stronger emphasis on guitar solos too which I didn't quite see as much either on KILL or the earlier albums.

All in all it's probably my favorite post-Barnes / Corpsegrinder fronted album.

Another band I've been digging lately is Immolation. They've been around it seems since the dawn of time but I wasn't very familiar with them until recently when I got their latest release, Majesty and Decay. That album kinda reminds me of a more brutal, at times faster sounding version of Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation. It shares a similar vibe and it has some really awesome sounding slower / doomier songs.

Anyway I'll leave the rest to you.. what death metal albums are you currently listening to ... etc.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm

I tend to like more melodic death metal like Miseration. The Mirroring Shadow is a fantastic CD. It has plenty of brutality but it also has it's melodic moments. I also like the early Mortification stuff and Crimson Thorn, which is a bit more intense.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:32 pm

i've really been wearing out my Asphyx/Soulburn cds. Hail Of Bullets as well. Martin Van Drunen is one of my favorite vocalists.

also been cranking some Akercocke, Cranial Devourment, Krisiun, Severe Torture, Mortitian, Aborted, Infliction, & Nunslaughter.

allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 pm

I have been listening to:
--Hour of Penance
--Misey Index
--Criminal Element
--Decrepit Birth
--Morbid Angel (esp. the Covenant)

Just got over my latest FL. Death Metal 'kick' where I listened to alot of:
--Monstrosity, Brutality, Obituary, Incantation, etc.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 pm

mc666 wrote:
i've really been wearing out my Asphyx/Soulburn cds. Hail Of Bullets as well. Martin Van Drunen is one of my favorite vocalists.

also been cranking some Akercocke, Cranial Devourment, Krisiun, Severe Torture, Mortitian, Aborted, Infliction, & Nunslaughter.

I need to get my hands on some Asphyx, I've heard good things about them but have been too busy to check it out.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 1:06 am

bassman wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I need to get my hands on some Asphyx, I've heard good things about them but have been too busy to check it out.
if you like old school mid paced death metal with doom influences, then you'd love Asphyx.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 1:08 am

Check out Pestilence too.

My favorite is Testimony of the Ancients , although that album does not have Martin on the vocals. But if you want something with Martin then the first two Pestilence albums are just as great.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I have been jamming the Hail of Bullets stuff as well!

A few more I have been really listening to lately are

Gravehill - Rites of the Pentagram.
Fatalist - The Depths of Inhumanity
Malevolent Creation - Invidious Dominion
Torture Squad - Aequilibrium
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Yeah, that new MALEVOLENT may be their best one yet from what I've heard.

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Hail of Bullets are killer as are Asphyx.I havent listened to much Death Metal recently.I usually pull out old Obituary or Cannibal Corpse when Im in the mood.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Hail of Bullets is the popular choice around here! Probably because of the anticipation of the new one!

I've also been playing some Angelcorpse and Behemoth. I also really like the new Brain Drill.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 3:44 pm

As far as Death Metal goes, I like Atheist and Obituary.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25875

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:55 pm

I haven't spun much death metal recently. But I do want to hear the new Hail Of Bullets. You guys should check out Ares Kingdom. I think some of you would really like them.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 5:27 pm

I haven't spun much death metal myself either but when I'm in the mood for some, I tend to listen to is old Amorphis, Bolt Thrower, Nile, Daath (more modern and melodic but not overly so like CoB, Dark Tranquillity, etc.), Mortification, Obituary, Opeth (their older, less progressive material), and some others. I also listen to melodic death metal but I consider that a separate genre.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm

I like a lot of death metal. Some bands include:

Death (easily my favorite)
Monstrosity
Pestilence
Obituary
Gorguts
Suffocation
Unbidden
Atheist
Disciples of Power
Morgoth
Morbid Angel

Among numerous others...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I like:

Amorphis
mortification
Sympathy
Antestor
Wintersun

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:32 pm

mc666 wrote:
bassman wrote:
mc666 wrote:

if you like old school mid paced death metal with doom influences, then you'd love Asphyx.

I jumped on some Asphyx right away after this post.... and I like!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 am

I know iv'e said this before in previous threads but one of the best death metal albums is Fear Factory-Sould Of A New Machine. If your only famiiar with later FF, I assure you that SoaNM is death metal. Amazingly, I usually only like DM if it has guitar solos to break the monotony of the brutality but this is one album where it doesn't matter (probably because Burton's clean vocals make up for it).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:58 am

I picked up Asphyx's Death The Brutal Way yesterday and was blown away by how good it is!!!
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Evisceration Plague is easily a step up from Kill, more hooks and better drumming in my opinion.

I've been giving Dark Tranquility some plays on youtube.

The new Malevolent Creation and Obiturary are solid death metal platters.

Overall I'd Say:

Malevolent Creation
Hate Eternal
Misery Index
Panzerchrist
Illdisposed
(old) Suffocation

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 am

Misery Index are such an aggressive band. Love them headbanger
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 pm

So, I picked up the new Hail of Bullets earlier this week. I've only spun it a couple of times, but I'm loving it just as much as the first one! headbanger
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 2:30 am

Joe wrote:
So, I picked up the new Hail of Bullets earlier this week. I've only spun it a couple of times, but I'm loving it just as much as the first one! headbanger
hell yeah, me too. On Choral Shores is probably my favorite track they've ever recorded. it's a lot faster than the first one, but if you combine it with the first 3 tracks of the Warsaw Rising EP, it all evens out.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 8:13 am

mc666 wrote:
Joe wrote:
hell yeah, me too. On Choral Shores is probably my favorite track they've ever recorded. it's a lot faster than the first one, but if you combine it with the first 3 tracks of the Warsaw Rising EP, it all evens out.

I picked it up yesterday. I'm loving it! My favorite tracks are Operation Z, On Choral Shoes and Tokyo Napalm Holocaust.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 7:27 pm

nevermore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Joe wrote:

I picked it up yesterday. I'm loving it! My favorite tracks are Operation Z, On Choral Shoes and Tokyo Napalm Holocaust.

Did either of you happen to pick up the expanded edition with the DVD? I didn't but was wondering if I should have. I guess the DVD is of a live performance? Good point about combining it with the Warsaw Rising EP, mc, it all fits together real well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: all things Death Metal   all things Death Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

all things Death Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next