Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best solo career

Go down 
+15
Temple of Blood
mc666
MoonChild
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Ben Grimm
exact33
Alaskan Metalhead
Olafsto
iamrockerfun
labrekk
thejokeriv
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 am

Of the following three top metal frontmen, who in your opinion has had the best solo career so far:

- Halford
- Dickinson
- Udo

I'll say Udo by far.

Although all of them are among my favourite singers ever, Udo has been the only one to constantly deliver one good album after the other over the years, never losing any of the aggression he has always been known for.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 am

I'd go with Dickinson.

Halford's solo career has been great too, but he'll always have that Two album hanging around his neck like an albatross. No amount of convincing will tell me that was a good album. I don't care what anyone else says. Turd in the punchbowl.

Bruce's solo material, from what I've heard, has all been good. Nothing to be ashamed of. I still have a disc or 2 I need to purchase to complete his discography.

Udo's stuff I can take or leave. I like some, some is just "meh".

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 am

U.D.O. Best solo career 11840

Though I love all three. I tend to listen to the U.D.O. stuff quite a bit, whereas with Dickinson and Halford, I tend to listen to Priest and Maiden more.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Tough one... but I will go with Bruce. The albums he put out during his time away from Maiden where much, much better than X Factor or Virtual XI
Back to top Go down

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 pm

UDO, no contest. Some of Bruce's stuff gets boring and I agree about Two being a turd.
Back to top Go down
labrekk
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 64

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Of the following three top metal frontmen, who in your opinion has had the best solo career so far:

- Halford
- Dickinson
- Udo

I'll say Udo by far.

Although all of them are among my favourite singers ever, Udo has been the only one to constantly deliver one good album after the other over the years, never losing any of the aggression he has always been known for.

For longevity and consistency, I'd go with U.D.O., which had released a lot of solo discs since 1989 or so.

But my fave solo discs from these 3 singers are Dickinson's Accident Of Birth and Halford's Resurrection. My fave U.D.O. is probably Holy.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Halford
Dickinson
"Robert Plant"
Ozzy
"David Coverdale"
Lita Ford
David Lee Roth
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Dickinson, no contest!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Alaskan Metalhead
Metal novice
Metal novice
Alaskan Metalhead

Number of posts : 35

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I definitely have to say UDO!!! You know what to expect from UDO and he always delivers!! The reason for that is probably because..."He is...the BOOGEYMAN!" (great song off the last disc!)
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Halford. I just havent gotten into solo bruce and UDO's vocals are too much for me...

Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Halford with Bruce being a close second
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Tough call between Dickinson and Halford for me. Loved Fight's WAR OF WORDS and all of the Halford stuff. Never liked the TWO record.

On the other hand, Dickinson's got his own "turd in the punchbowl" to borrow MG's phrase - the SKUNKWORKS album. Yeah, that album smelled like a skunk's works.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Tough call between Dickinson and Halford for me. Loved Fight's WAR OF WORDS and all of the Halford stuff. Never liked the TWO record.

On the other hand, Dickinson's got his own "turd in the punchbowl" to borrow MG's phrase - the SKUNKWORKS album. Yeah, that album smelled like a skunk's works.

In defence of an album I actually like and of one of my favorite vocalists, Skunkworks was supposed to be a side project but the record company forced them to put Bruce's name on it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:41 pm

I will go with UDO. But Fight - War of Words is the best thing any of them did outside thier collective original bands. Total classic!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 12:45 am

ultmetal wrote:
U.D.O. Best solo career 11840

Though I love all three. I tend to listen to the U.D.O. stuff quite a bit, whereas with Dickinson and Halford, I tend to listen to Priest and Maiden more.

True enough headbanger
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 1:38 am

UDO by a long way.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:04 am

i'll go with Halford, but King Diamond's solo stuff pisses all over the three of them.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 am

I would also go with KD if that was an option.
Back to top Go down

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 am

mc666 wrote:
i'll go with Halford, but King Diamond's solo stuff pisses all over the three of them.

KD should probably go ahead and get himself some of those super-absorbant clown diapers that they advertise on his favorite tv channel, Lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 am

DallasBlack wrote:

In defence of an album I actually like and of one of my favorite vocalists, Skunkworks was supposed to be a side project but the record company forced them to put Bruce's name on it.

This is true. In fact, in the liner notes of Bruce's best-of compilation, he sez that he did want to "immerse himself in a band situation" on that album rather than present it as a solo album. He sez "David Bowie tried the same thing with his Tin Machine project. It didn't work for him either." Laughing very hard

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Fight - War of Words is the best thing any of them did outside thier collective original bands. Total classic!

Hells yeah! I saw Fight live on that tour and it was one of the top 5 shows of my life!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 am

I would go with Halford simply because I loved his first two solo albums 'Resurrection' and 'Crucible' just great metal albums period, while I along with Halford's mum where the only two (n pun intended) on the planet who enjoyed his TWO project I was glad when he went back to metal and stopped trying to become Nine Inch Priest.

I only have two UDO albums, and I like them but all the songwriting credits read 'Accept + Deffay' so they seem to be more a continuation of Accept then a proper solo career, good albums but I have not heard enough of his solo material to make a fair assessment.

With the exception of 'Tattooed Millionaire' which I did not hate but I was not that impressed with either, Dickinson has alot of hidden gems in his solo career, as he progressed he seemed to be getting both heavier and more prog, great stuff.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 am

From that list i'd say Bruce Dickinson but Ozzy's early years are my favorite of any "solo" artist.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

This should be converted to a poll...
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 am

Dio!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 am

Well, if Dio is an option.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best solo career Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best solo career   Best solo career Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best solo career
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next