Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?

Go down 
+4
Dave the Boss
Louder
kmorg
Cadaveron
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadaveron
Metal novice
Metal novice
Cadaveron

Number of posts : 30

Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Empty
PostSubject: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 am

Okay guys, here's a strange one. This is going out to all the Christian metallers out there.

Recon and Crystavox are two bands I've really liked for many years now, but I have to get something that bugs me about both of them out of my system: both bands have singers who, on many occasions, sing in a completely different key than the one in which their respective band is playing.

For instance, in the case of Vett from Recon, listen to what I guess would be the pre-choruses of the songs "Ancient of Days" and "Eternal Destiny" from Behind Enemy Lines. There are other examples of this throughout the album.

Now, we come to Crystavox. Of the many examples on the album The Bottom Line, my absolute favorite is "Paradise." Check it out.

I hope I haven't ruined these albums for anybody. This has always bugged me, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Been very long since I heard the Crystavox stuff, but I think I know what you're saying about the Recon song. It never bothered me too much though.

This is something I hear every now and again on other albums as well, but examples escape me at the moment.

Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 am

I don't think I've ever heard Crystavox, but I am in total agreement on the Recon stuff. I would absolutely love Behind Enemy Lines if it wasn't for the vocalist's melodic wanderings.

Thank you for this thread, I thought I was the only one who was bugged by this.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 am

I absolutely love the Recon vocals. Never heard Crystavox though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 am

Vett always had trouble controlling his vocals. One listen to the Recon live disc proves this point. However, it's rock and roll. It doesn't have to be perfect. I love "Behind Enemy Lines", including Vett's vocals. He gives the band charisma and distinction.

I've never really noticed a problem with Crystavox's vocals, but I haven't played their two CDs anywhere near as much as the Recon album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:48 am

I've never noticed any major boo-boo's with Vett's vox on that Recon album. That's one of my fave Christian metal records in fact (right behind Barren Cross' ATOMIC ARENA, which shall always be Numero Uno).

You gotta figure, that album (like any other album being released on indie/underground metal labels at the time) was probably recorded quickly, and on a relatively low budget, so they didn't have the luxury of being able to record multiple takes of vocals trying to get it "just right." As long as it was "close enough" it went on the record. As Ult said, that's part of the charm.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am

yeaahhhh I believe in doing it until it's perfect or 'good enough' as much as the next person, probably even more, BEING a singer and all, but some of you guys are definitely giving Vett a free pass. Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_razz If it was a record people didn't like, the vocal imperfections would be glared at. And I love that record and his vocals. But it isn't a Bob Dylan record. We do have to admit a couple of takes just plain aren't up to par, it doesn't take away from him being a great singer or anything. Something like struggling through a live set or live sets, yes, perhaps so. But we shouldn't worry about criticism of some of the performance on the album meaning a lot.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm

I think he just was pitchy on a few notes. Listened to it again and that was all I could hear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?   Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vett Roberts! Adam Kemp! What's the deal, bros?
Page 1 of 1