Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Olympic Hockey

Go down 
+16
exact33
thejokeriv
Joe
TheGooch
7thSaviour
iamrockerfun
ultmetal
T-Roy
jstate
FlyingV
Required Fields
scottmitchell74
Lari
Metallic Blaze
Addy
SAHB Healer
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm only a casual hockey fan and I'm not that interested in my heritage usually either, but with two big exceptions. One is the Olympic Hockey tournament, and of course my other big Scandinavian thing is their metal. Four years ago it was my dream final (Sweden vs. Finland) in Hockey, and I'm hoping it goes that way again this year. (For the record I'm also 1/4 Norwegian as well, but they usually aren't as good).
And yeah, during the Olympics I do listen to Scandinavian metal to psych up for the Hockey games! Olympic Hockey 395375
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:25 pm

not really into the olympics thats just me though
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm not a big sports person - but I do like soccer and hockey both.

Usually the only hockey or soccer I watch is the olympics though.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:32 pm

First things first: I hate that the NHL season is stopped for the Olympics. Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook already seem fatigued from playing so much. Now they have to suit up for Team Canada? Also, Marian Hossa just got run over last night. He missed tonights game because of an upper body injury. Also Patrick Kane got his bell rung tonight. Both those guys have to play for something other than the team that pays their salaries? Meh...

Anyway, I think it's going to be between Canada and Russia. Though Canada has the edge in defence and also the home ice support.

I'm hoping for USA to win gold though. The margins are small - between the top six or seven teams, anyone can win it. The quarter finals and medals come down to performing in one single game. Sweden, Finland, USA, Czech Republic can win it all if everything comes together at the right time. Like you saw last time - Sweden and Finland in the final. In the last World Cup it was Canada that beat Finland in the final.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 pm

All Winter Olympics sports are examples of sports I can't watch at any other time during the 4 years between, but during the Olympics I find some of them riveting.

USA!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:03 pm

my sport of choice is baseball I love that game
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28456

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Go Canada!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:19 am

I have been a huge hockey fan for roughly 30 years and always look forward to the Olympics. That being said the US will be lucky to finish higher than fourth place when you consider the other teams that are also medal challengers. The best thing the US squad has going for it is goalie Ryan Miller. If they get some offense to go with a hot goalie they might make some noise and challenge for a medal. But they have a very young lineup compared to the rest of the teams in the field. No matter who wins it will be a pleasure to watch.

As much as I love the NHL and seeing the best players in the world play at one time I would like to see a return to amateurs playing hockey in the Olympics again. There is just something very noble and exciting about seeing these relatively unknown players compete on the world stage for their respective nations. Go USA!!!
Back to top Go down

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Quote :
As much as I love the NHL and seeing the best players in the world play at one time I would like to see a return to amateurs playing hockey in the Olympics again. There is just something very noble and exciting about seeing these relatively unknown players compete on the world stage for their respective nations. Go USA!!!

This. I hate that everyone is a pro now.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

I wish all Olympic sports would go back to amateurs. I really loved the World Juniors.

I think the US is going to surprise/contend. If Miller is on that'll keep them in a lot of games and give them a chance. I still can't believe Canada didn't take Mike Green. Think they made a big mistake there.

As much as I'll miss the NHL for a few weeks (and fear what the layoff will do to the Caps), I am getting excited for the Olympics finally. And though it must be tough on the players I've also really liked the condensed NHL schedule.

USA!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 am

I'm hoping for USA/Canada Gold Medal Round!

Honestly, I don't see USA medaling. We have a young, talented team but not nearly the depth Canada, Russia, Sweden and the Czek Republic have. Finland is always there and Slovakia will be there. I would be happy if the USA played for a metal period. But I think we have a great unit for the future.

USA!!!! GO CANADA!!!

Last edited by T-Roy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 am

USA/CANADA Gold Metal round would rule! I think the USA have a very talented team this year, though I agree many are young in comparison.

scottmitchell74

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:49 am

[quote="jstate"]I wish all Olympic sports would go back to amateurs. quote]

That sounds nice on paper, but the problem is that countries pay for medals and equipment companies sponser teams and athletes, and there's massive $ involved there. There's no way to go back to a pure amatuer situation (if there ever was one).

I for one like it this way because we get to see the absolute best up against each other.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 am

[quote="scottmitchell74"]
jstate wrote:
I wish all Olympic sports would go back to amateurs. quote]

That sounds nice on paper, but the problem is that countries pay for medals and equipment companies sponser teams and athletes, and there's massive $ involved there. There's no way to go back to a pure amatuer situation (if there ever was one).

I for one like it this way because we get to see the absolute best up against each other.
Absolutely. And if you can go back to before Nagano when pro athletes were not allowed, the only conversation that ever followed the Olympic hockey tournament was basically, "I wonder who would have won if the best hockey players (NHL) in the world were playing for their countries." People were always unsatisfied with the results because they didn't reflect the best players in the world. And that's what the Olympics are about, amateurs or pro by trade, these are best the world has to offer. A gold medal is the rarest of all sports accolades. Not even the Stanley Cup can compete with a gold medal.

BTW, currently, each team is required to have amateur players on the roster by rule.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Russian, Czech, Sverige, Suomi.
(out of games are Usa and Canada. it's enough from 2002.)
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 pm

T-Roy wrote:
these are best the world has to offer. A gold medal is the rarest of all sports accolades. Not even the Stanley Cup can compete with a gold medal.
BLASPHEMY! Stanley Cup > every other award in hockey. That's what you really play for.

Anyway, isn't it unfair some good players never even get a proper shot at winning a gold medal just because of their nationality? Just because your country has a bad support cast and you never medal, you're not good enough? It's a bit silly. That's why I never really like olympic team sports - you should be able to pick who you want to play for, no matter the nationality. Like in tennis, normally you can double with anybody, but suddenly in the Olympics you have to choose someone from your country? Why? Aren't you supposed to see what's the best doubles team in the world, not what country can pair up the best duo? If you allow pros in the games, NHL teams should compete for gold medals. Sure, introduce teams from other leagues, too. Have a mini-tourney or something to decide who wins.

Then there's another problem. Any national team tournament is somewhat of a coin toss - they play single elimination games and with the differences being very small among the top players in the world, you will see upsets that wouldn't happen if you REALLY wanted to see who's the best. The point is, it's a bit of a 'show', an all-star weekend type of event. Against the nature of hockey where the ultimate winners aren't decided with a good game or two.

Now, I don't want to badmouth the Olympic games so close to the tournament, and I will watch for sure and love it, but that's not what hockey players build their CAREERS for. I would compare winning an Olympic gold to something like winning the President's Trophy - a great achievement, a nice addition, a nice thing to remember, but if you never win the Cup, you know your career ain't complete.

EDIT:
jstate wrote:
I still can't believe Canada didn't take Mike Green.
He's horrible defensively. I like the guys they chose. Much more solid and balanced players. A guy like Green would get exposed against offensive talent like what Russia possess. And Canada has enough depth for Mike Green not even make their B-team, if they ever iced one. Or maybe dress him and only play him on the powerplay.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 am

Lari wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
these are best the world has to offer. A gold medal is the rarest of all sports accolades. Not even the Stanley Cup can compete with a gold medal.
BLASPHEMY! Stanley Cup > every other award in hockey. That's what you really play for.

Anyway, isn't it unfair some good players never even get a proper shot at winning a gold medal just because of their nationality? Just because your country has a bad support cast and you never medal, you're not good enough? It's a bit silly. That's why I never really like olympic team sports - you should be able to pick who you want to play for, no matter the nationality. Like in tennis, normally you can double with anybody, but suddenly in the Olympics you have to choose someone from your country? Why? Aren't you supposed to see what's the best doubles team in the world, not what country can pair up the best duo? If you allow pros in the games, NHL teams should compete for gold medals. Sure, introduce teams from other leagues, too. Have a mini-tourney or something to decide who wins.

Then there's another problem. Any national team tournament is somewhat of a coin toss - they play single elimination games and with the differences being very small among the top players in the world, you will see upsets that wouldn't happen if you REALLY wanted to see who's the best. The point is, it's a bit of a 'show', an all-star weekend type of event. Against the nature of hockey where the ultimate winners aren't decided with a good game or two.

Now, I don't want to badmouth the Olympic games so close to the tournament, and I will watch for sure and love it, but that's not what hockey players build their CAREERS for. I would compare winning an Olympic gold to something like winning the President's Trophy - a great achievement, a nice addition, a nice thing to remember, but if you never win the Cup, you know your career ain't complete.

EDIT:
jstate wrote:
I still can't believe Canada didn't take Mike Green.
He's horrible defensively. I like the guys they chose. Much more solid and balanced players. A guy like Green would get exposed against offensive talent like what Russia possess. And Canada has enough depth for Mike Green not even make their B-team, if they ever iced one. Or maybe dress him and only play him on the powerplay.
What I said is fact. The gold medal is the rarest of all sports achievements, period. Think about it. The NHL is my favorite sport period and the Stanley Cup is awesome. But it's given out every year to the winner. Gold medal is every 4 years and a countries athletes may get 3 shots or less at a chance to claim a gold medal.

And to be fair, Canada and USA were the only competing countries that DIDN'T have pro players on their teams. Russia, Sweden, Czek...all those countries had players in their late 20's and thirties that had been playing in the Russian Elite League and other European pro leagues. That's what made the 1980 Miracle team such a "Miracle". We had mostly kids, and all total amateurs playing for the US. USSR had the entire Red Army (which had late 30 and 40 year old veterans) team which embarrassed Canada (or at least send the whole country into a panic) in the famous tournament between the two countries, which Canada eventually coming back and winning the series (THANK GOD! Olympic Hockey 25679 ).
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 am

T-Roy said:
Quote :
And to be fair, Canada and USA were the only competing countries that DIDN'T have pro players on their teams. Russia, Sweden, Czek...all those countries had players in their late 20's and thirties that had been playing in the Russian Elite League and other European pro leagues. That's what made the 1980 Miracle team such a "Miracle". We had mostly kids, and all total amateurs playing for the US. USSR had the entire Red Army (which had late 30 and 40 year old veterans) team which embarrassed Canada (or at least send the whole country into a panic) in the famous tournament between the two countries, which Canada eventually coming back and winning the series (THANK GOD! Olympic Hockey 25679 ).

I couldn't agree with you more. I vividly remember watching the Russia game and felt so proud as an American when we beat them. In my opinion that was the single greatest game every played in the history of sport and the greatest upset of all time.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

FlyingV wrote:
T-Roy said:
Quote :

In my opinion that was the single greatest game every played in the history of sport and the greatest upset of all time.
Exactly, and that wasn't even a medal round! And not a single Stanley Cup game 7, OT can even touch that gold medal team. Or any countries gold medal for that matter. Not even Canadians believe that. Otherwise, their wouldn't be the pressure and gold ultimatums being talked about for Team Canada. Nobody says if the Maple Leafs or Montreal don't win the cup this and every year the franchise/country is a complete failure. lol!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 am

If a Canadian team wins the cup this year and Canada wins the gold medal, which do think Canada will care about two years from now? Olympic Hockey 591800 Olympic Hockey 706602 OH CANADA.....!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Wayne Gretzky?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Wayne Gretzky?
Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Trying to watch Women's Olympic Hockey. It's almost as exciting as Women's basketball.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:45 pm

The lopsided men's games of the early rounds get a little old too. It was almost like the Canadians and Russians were on the power play for 60 minutes or something. It will be nice to see more competive games in the later rounds.
I'm still pulling for Svenska and Suomi as I customarily do, but man Canada looks good. It would be hard to begrudge them a gold on their home soil. I think they took the right approach to putting that team together. I expect Canada to win.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 pm

No way Scott! Women's hockey is awesome. I love watching it. Women's basketball on the other hand can't hold my attention for a minute. I think the women hockey players rule!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Olympic Hockey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Olympic Hockey
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next