Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper

Go down 
+8
Gilbert
JBall_Z
Lari
Wargod
akeldama
manny
ultmetal
ZetaReticuli
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Empty
PostSubject: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Not exactly metal, but these guys play really good progressive rock. Has anyone picked up the new album from Uriah Heep? I'm listening to it right now and it's friggin' great. Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper 778825
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 am

That's funny. Brought it with me to listen to today. It is great. One of their heavier albums.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:21 am

Uriah Heep were a great band. They did have some more metal albums. I've not heard Wake the Sleeper yet.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 am

I've not heard 'Wake The Sleeper' either but I consider Uriah Heep one of the earlier pioneers of heavy metal, their self titled album, 'The Magician's Birthday' and 'Demons and Wizards' where considered very heavy back in the early 70's.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I like WTS a lot, I have all their stuff and this is a top 5 for me.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Wake The Sleeper is phenominal loved it. Hey spectre the avatar of Light force describe them to me what is their sound?

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:17 am

I have Wake the Sleeper. It was in my top ten of 2008.

Book of Lies is probably my favourite track off it, despite its radio friendly melody. 'Shadow' is infectious, too.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 am

Wake The Sleeper is a great album. One of my top albums from 2008.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Got the album about a week ago. Amazing. Uriah heep is an awesome band!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Got the album about a week ago. Amazing. Uriah heep is an awesome band!

Yes. This one and the follow-up Into the Wild are both great. I should play both again sometime soon now that I have days off work.

The latest one (Outsider) I didn't like as much.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Need to get into the wild as well!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm

You know Mick Box is going to deliver on the guitar, but I also really like Bernie Shaw's flawless smooth vocals.

And Wake the Sleeper sounds really fresh. It's the updated sound but there's always that sense of originality and deep understanding of melody, and every song is so well crafted. I just saw my original old post. I still really like Book of Lies and Shadow.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 2:51 am

Just listened to it & now almost ten years after it's release I still think it sounds excellent.

Shadow, Overload, Book Of Lies, stand out for me.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 4:12 am

I have some of their earlier stuff, from the debut up to Magicians Birthday. I want to get the rest of Byrons albums, but haven't gotten around to it yet. On a whim, I picked up Wake the Sleeper and was really surprised at how good it was. I guess I just never expected them to be able to put out such solid music all these years later. Ended up getting Into the Wild shortly after, and it to is a very good album.

I keep seeing that they tour a lot, but so far nothing close to me. Hopefully one of these days they make it my way, would love to see them.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 5:50 am

assault_attack wrote:
Just listened to it & now almost ten years after it's release I still think it sounds excellent.

Shadow, Overload, Book Of Lies, stand out for me.

Yeah, that's a good one, too.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 6:07 am

While the songs are generally well written and Box's playing is stellar as ever, the absence of the vocal dynamics of David Byron and Ken Hensley really make these recent albums sound quite flat to my ear. Bernie Shaw is ok, and I appreciate that he has been with the band for over 30 years now! But his voice is quite bland, I think. While he can replicate some of the classics, he doesn't really add much to the new songs at all.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 am

I think they sound pretty damn good to me! A shade better than anything Deep Purple has done in a very long time...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper   Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper
Page 1 of 1