Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?

Go down 
+5
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
HeavyMetalMerchant
9 posters
AuthorMessage
HeavyMetalMerchant
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetalMerchant

Number of posts : 23

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Empty
PostSubject: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

MAGIC - 'A Tribute To Ronnie James Dio' the first tribute album released since the metal legends passing is now available for download.

MANOWAR and Magic Circle Entertainment have decided to honor one of metal's greatest legends with "Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio", a new CD featuring Magic Circle Music artists and friends performing some of Dio's most inspired work.

Dio's son Dan Padavona has confirmed that Joey Demaio who is releasing this through his magic circle music label intends be directing profits to charity. Cover artwork was commissioned by famous fantasy artist & the man who painted the original Rainbow 'Rising' cover Ken Kelly.

TRIVIA: : Joey DeMaio who has put this album together worked for Black Sabbath on the Heaven & Hell tour. Its was Dio himself who introduced him to Ross The Boss and encouraged him to start his own band.

Good? Bad? cash in? Waste of time, worthy tribute? There has been some controversy surrounding this release what do you think?

You can check out the first track here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFsLeSh69Y

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? MagicATributetoRonnieJamesdio
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavymetalmerchant.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm sorry but all I could think is..

Dio is responsible for Manowar?

Good grief. What else did the man do? Did he invent the Internet? Has he sparred with Chuck Norris?

A good 3 or so whole subgenres exist because of Dio.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Nice idea in theory I suppose, and I'm sure Manowar do owe their existence to Dio, but I really wish all these tributes would wait a little while. The guy's barely even in the ground for cryin out loud.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 am

And that's a lifeless cover. Guess that's fitting.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:24 am

The 'Heaven and Hell' cover kind of blows. Well, at least the proceeds will go to charity. We think. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 am

I personally tend to avoid anything Manowar releated, so this wouldn't be any different. Pass.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:49 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I personally tend to avoid anything Manowar releated, so this wouldn't be any different. Pass.
You know, they're a great band at times, but I have a handful of their albums going from the new stuff to their older, supposed classic stuff, and I just don't think they're a great band. Some great songs, but overall they're pretty run-of-the-mill boring.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am

Eyesore wrote:

You know, they're a great band at times, but I have a handful of their albums going from the new stuff to their older, supposed classic stuff, and I just don't think they're a great band. Some great songs, but overall they're pretty run-of-the-mill boring.

I'm the same way. They have some great stuff here and there but overall have been very hit-or-miss over the years. The last couple of albums have been "miss" in a very big way, too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I've heard some songs that I kinda like here and there, but I don't own any. Too over-the-top for my tastes. I have a low tolerance for that kind of power metal to begin with and these guys cross the line.

Actually, they don't just cross the line, they cross it, go back and disembowel the line then make new loin-cloths out of it's carcass.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I've heard some songs that I kinda like here and there, but I don't own any. Too over-the-top for my tastes. I have a low tolerance for that kind of power metal to begin with and these guys cross the line.

Actually, they don't just cross the line, they cross it, go back and disembowel the line then make new loin-cloths out of it's carcass.

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Lol Never could get into Manowar either.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Feel the same way FF feels about Manowar, I like them but this band is a real life Spinal Tap with a enough of unintended homoeroticism to make a roomful of Adam Lambert fans giggle like schoolgirls.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I think Fighting and Kings of Metal are their strongest efforts. The rest of the stuff is really really spotty.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:49 pm

exact33 wrote:
I think Fighting and Kings of Metal are their strongest efforts. The rest of the stuff is really really spotty.

I would also throw their debut on the list, I may have to take this albums out of my archives and give them a spin this week
Back to top Go down
Planchaaaa
Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:35 pm

I absolutely love that cover.. and would love it on a t-shirt. I'm a sucker for anything related to the mighty Rainbow.

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Rainbowrising
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?   Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio - Worthy Tribute?
Page 1 of 1