Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style

Go down 
+21
EvyMetal
Jesusandmetal23
Sutekh
Neuropete
Hamer12
ultmetal
James B.
the sentinel
kmorg
AlbertMond
QuothTheRaven
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
manny
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Schbopo
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Empty
PostSubject: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 pm

So I watched the ever so disappointing VH1 special the other night and thought I'd take it upon myself to write one that's harder, better, faster, and stronger. Don't touch the channel folks, cuz' it's time for SCHBOPO'S 100 GREATEST HARD ROCK SONGS!!!!!!! It shall be updated whenever I feel like it and give adequate reasons as to the placement of the song, and there shall be only one song per band. So if you're ready, let's get the ball rolling.

100. Cheap Trick-She's Tight
Sexual innuendos are always fun. Combine that with one of the catchiest choruses and guitar riffs (dudadada-dudadada-dudadada!) the band ever had and you've got one of their hardest-rocking songs. Cheap Trick really knows how to write a good, pop-ish hook that sticks in your head, and yet still rocks hard. They were doing hair metal before there was hair metal, and "She's Tight" remains as one of their biggest and best hits.

no. 99 coming later tonight.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm

man, you fend to take forever 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style 778825

I submit:

The Mission - Deliverance..for eventual entry
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I submit:

The Mission - Deliverance..for eventual entry

possibly...I'll have to listen to it first.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 pm

You better establish some parameters for this thread.

Such as:

Are we talking "hard rock" and/or "metal"?

More importantly, are we talking about songs that were/are singles or is any random album track valid?

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Are we talking "hard rock" and/or "metal"?

Nothing heavier than say, Megadeth, and nothing lighter than Survivor.

tohostudios wrote:
More importantly, are we talking about songs that were/are singles or is any random album track valid?

Any track is valid, but the "classic" status of most of them is a big factor, and that applies mainly to singles.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:55 pm

99. Spinal Tap-Hell Hole
Sure Spinal Tap get blown off as a fake band, but the write better songs than most real bands do, as evidenced by the classic tale of poverty and hardship "Hell Hole". This sort of biography of lead guitarist Nigel Tufnel has all the elements of a true rock classic: an iconic stop-start guitar riff, dismal lyrics, a kickass solo, and smooth vocals from Nigel himself. The video was pretty darn cool too.

98. Golden Earring-Radar Love
This song gets my vote for 'best bass line of all time'. That awesome 3-note groove never fails to do...something awesome, I guess. Anyhoo, this whole song is just great. The plodding drum beat and the distressed vocals give a perfect musical representation of the driving all night lyrics, making this one of the coolest songs to rock in the car. Of course the trippy middle section is great, but it's one of those things that reminds me why I don't listen to the radio that much, because they always cut the damn thing out.

Last edited by Schbopo on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 pm

also submitting Van Halen - Humans Being

(will submit as they come to me)

(and yeah listen to that Mission song)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Marseilles - The Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIIZhWCtKHw

Expect many Angels entries from me in this thread...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 pm

some 'hits'

Styx - Blue Collar Man
Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia, My Reflection
Journey - Wheel in the Sky (yeah yeah I know, this is really a great song though)
The Clash - London Calling
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Styx - Blue Collar Man

There will be a Styx song. That's all you get.

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Journey - Wheel in the Sky (yeah yeah I know, this is really a great song though)

Was planning on doing this one.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n Roll
Praying Mantis - Best Years
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 am

Red Rider- Lunatic Fringe
Aldo Nova- Fantasy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:12 am

Donnie Iris - Ah Leah
April Wine - Roller

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 am

I think Schemier is saying that HE will be picking the songs and giving his reasons for choosing them, not everyone else.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:41 am

Good list so far Schampoo, I have always loved that great Cheap Trick track.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I think Schemier is saying that HE will be picking the songs and giving his reasons for choosing them, not everyone else.

That was my take too
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:14 am

Schbopo wrote:

98. Golden Earring-Radar Love
This song gets my vote for 'best bass line of all time'. That awesome 3-note groove never fails to do...something awesome, I guess. Anyhoo, this whole song is just great. The plodding drum beat and the distressed vocals give a perfect musical representation of the driving all night lyrics, making this one of the coolest songs to rock in the car. Of course the trippy middle section is great, but it's one of those things that reminds me why I don't listen to the radio that much, because they always cut the damn thing out.

Probably the one relevant Dutch musical export ever. 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Lol Love that song.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:15 am

IMo Golden Earring is a great band and very underrated, too bad , at least here in the States they are only known for 'Twlight Zone' and of course 'Radar Love"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 am

manny wrote:
IMo Golden Earring is a great band and very underrated, too bad , at least here in the States they are only known for 'Twlight Zone' and of course 'Radar Love"

True, those are the only two Golden Earring songs I'm familiar with anyway.

"Twilight Zone" still gets play on the local classic rock station and I gotta say, that song features some of the most bad-ass bass playing EVER. 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style 11840

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 am

SpectreFate wrote:

I has rules............

I breaks them 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style 778825
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:51 pm

97. Aldo Nova-Fantasy
Aldo Nova was a bit of an underdog in the 80's pop-metal scene. He was a great songwriter ("Take Me Away" by BOC, anybody?) and a good multi-instrumentalist. Luckily he got just enough time in the spotlight to score a lone hit with the awesome "Fantasy". With a pounding three-chord riff, some spacey keyboard effects and a laughably cheesy video, the song became a hit, and despite it's sheer ammount of cheesy cliches and Canadian-ness, it's still a very enjoyable hard rock song, and in terms of "air guitar", it's unmatched.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:56 pm

I am not huge Aldo Nova fan but you cannot deny how catchy that song and riff is, and BTW so far your list kicks VH1's list ass.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 4:08 pm

There's a lot of good tunes on that first Aldo Nova S/T.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm

96. REM-What's The Frequency Kenneth?
REM got famous for being geeky and weird, but on the "Monster" album, they proved that being geeky and weird could rock, and it never rocked harder than the opening track "What's The Frequency Kenneth?" The guitar riffs and arrangements are a clear throwback to 80's glam rock, but somehow it's still got that bizarre cheekiness that REM latches onto so much. I don't know, it's just simultaneously hard and mellow, geeky and cool, and simple yet complex. I like it.

95. Beastie Boys-Fight For Your Right To Party
The original rap-rockers give one of the truest statements ever put to record: you gotta fight for your right to party, because 'the man' is keeping you down. As far as instrumentation goes, it's pretty basic, but it provides a perfect background for the lyrics. The boys knew that rock wasn't about talent, it was about attitude! And nobody can deny that they had it. I mean, who hasn't experienced half the events described here? It's relatable, rebellious, and it just plain rocks.

Last edited by Schbopo on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Schbopo wrote:
97. Aldo Nova-Fantasy
Aldo Nova was a bit of an underdog in the 80's pop-metal scene. He was a great songwriter ("Take Me Away" by BOC, anybody?) and a good multi-instrumentalist. Luckily he got just enough time in the spotlight to score a lone hit with the awesome "Fantasy". With a pounding three-chord riff, some spacey keyboard effects and a laughably cheesy video, the song became a hit, and despite it's sheer ammount of cheesy cliches and Canadian-ness, it's still a very enjoyable hard rock song, and in terms of "air guitar", it's unmatched.

I saw the video for this song a couple of weeks ago on VH1 Classic, I hadn't heard it in YEARS but yea, this is truly a bad ass song. The skintight leopard print body suit Aldo wore in the video, though... not so bad ass.

Schbopo wrote:
96. REM-What's The Frequency Kenneth?
REM got famous for being geeky and weird, but on the "Monster" album, they proved that being geeky and weird could rock, and it never rocked harder than the opening track "What's The Frequency Kenneth?" The guitar riffs and arrangements are a clear throwback to 80's glam rock, but somehow it's still got that bizarre cheekiness that REM latches onto so much. I don't know, it's just simultaneously hard and mellow, geeky and cool, and simple yet complex. I like it.

...plus, a few years back a crazed street person assaulted news anchor Dan Rather after asking him, "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" which automatically upped the song's awesome quotient for me. I never did like Dan Rather.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next