Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Biggest metal album failures

Go down 
+21
ultmetal
MetalFRO
INVADERS
Troublezone
mr.electric39
sam
Metal Misfit
mc666
Hamer12
Coma
Svengo
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
nevermore
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
manny
T-Roy
Conservationist
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17084

Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Quote :
Essentially, even though bands like Tourniquet & Mortification play the same musical style as other metal bands, they CANNOT be considered metal because they espouse a Christian belief and don't represent what metal is supposed to be, which is rebellion, anti-establishment, anarchy, etc.

What a idiot! Black Sabbath (the first metal band) based their whole schtick on a horror movie not rebellion. If that's his view on music/society then i suggest he switch to punk music which is more suited for his mindframe. If he was refering to satanic bands being the only "true" metal style then he should realize that most if not all put on a show for a paycheck or to just get laid from town to town.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
Here's the thing, folks. The guy behind anus.com believes he is the supreme authority on all things metal - as if that's even possible. I had a considerable e-mail based discussion with him some while back on the virtues (or lack thereof, in his mind) on "Christian" metal, and to him, it's a complete oxymoron, like many metal fans. However, most metal fans, while they may not want to be "preached at" they just ignore it & don't necessarily debate the existence of it. This guy denies all existence of "Christian metal" in any form. Essentially, even though bands like Tourniquet & Mortification play the same musical style as other metal bands, they CANNOT be considered metal because they espouse a Christian belief and don't represent what metal is supposed to be, which is rebellion, anti-establishment, anarchy, etc. The guy is a pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-anarchist who believes that the world would benefit from true, unrestricted anarchy, at least based on some of the articles that were on the site some years ago.

Read some of the music reviews on the site - pretentious! Basically, everything after "Symphonies of Sickness"-era Carcass is pablum, and is too marred by "rock" production & structure, lead playing, and lacking the "brilliance" of the early material. If learning how to play your instrument more skillfully and construct more intricate music that also fuses more melody & accessibility is taking a step backwards, then sorry - I can't help you!

Anyway, the guy's a tool. Just ignore him. Razz

I don't even waste my time with these arguments any longer. People who espouse such nonsense need to get a life. Metal is not neccessarily about "rebellion, anti-establishment, anarchy". If that is the case, then bands that founded heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Saxon and Judas Priest couldn't be metal. Their songs were certainly not all based on these ideas. In fact, many of Black Sabbath's early records had very religious themes. Metal is about the music. Each artist has something different to say in the music. Everyone has a story to tell, an idea to present, a belief to share, etc. To argue otherwise is simply laughable.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:27 pm

detuned wrote:
I still don't understand the almost universal hate surrounding "Diablos In Musica", it's basically South Of Heaven Part 2 (which is why I like it so much) Slayer has yet to release a truly "bad" album, some are just more potent than others.

Divine Intervention's biggest flaw is that it's rather dull in comparison to the rest of their catalog. Serviceable but uninspired.

Diabolus is WAY awesome! It's Slayer, but a more brooding and heavier Slayer, more darker with a heavier crunch.

Divine Intervention rocks, tons of great riffs, I think the band was still figuring out their new drummer at that time.

Risk I can easlily see being on that last, along with St. Anger.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Hahaha man, anus.com is definitely one of the most retarded websites out there. I remember that I was something like 14 years old and looking for sites with reviews on black metal CDs. So then I found the old anus.com. Those reviews aren't exactly helpful for a 14 year old ya know, hahaha.

That said, I can't fathom why Cold Lake ISN'T on the list. That album is SO bad, SO retarded, SO hideous it should be illegal. Just watch the video for Cherry Orchards and you'll see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

MetalFRO wrote:

Anyway, the guy's a tool.
without a doubt. check his ramblings about how Chuck Schuldiner was a christian who died of aids..
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/chuck_schuldiner/

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:42 pm

The guy couldn't be any more pretentious if he tried and you can tell by the way he describes music that he has no idea how to write or play music. He uses words as an impediment to understanding rather than an instrument of it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalFRO wrote:

Anyway, the guy's a tool.
without a doubt. check his ramblings about how Chuck Schuldiner was a christian who died of aids..

And even though he is an American, he celebrated the 9-11 attacks.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 pm

I could not make all the way thru the Chuck Schuldiner article, besides having piss poor writing, he got all his facts wrong and the name of the article is silly. Chuck never once claimed to be a martyr of anything, he died of disease that he fought and lost the battle to.

This guy needs to leave his mother's basement, get some sunlight and maybe get laid, with all the b.s. he writes, the poor boy sounds like he might be backed up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 pm

To defend my choices:

Theatre of Pain - prior to this album I was a Motley Crue fan, but hated TOP so much that not only did I get rid of it...I took down all my Motley Crue posters and stuff and have probably only listened to them about 5 times in the past 25 years.

Fight For The Rock SUCKS BALLS. (and I'm a Savatage fan)

No Prayer For The Dying = autopilot, phoned in, uninspired, tired, unfocused, bored, excuse to tour.

...now I haven't heard that Fastway in years, so I might feel different about it now. But I hated it so much upon release, that after the first listen I smashed the cassette against the wall and have never heard it since.

Load/Reload/S&M/Garage Days (new songs) & St. Anger are pretty much a parade of unholy suckage.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm

My favorite part of this whole thread;
Quote :

The Internets

With your permission I'm going to start calling it that. Love it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:26 pm

That guy sounds like Roger Martinez Lite. An utter waste of precious time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17084

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:01 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
That guy sounds like Roger Martinez Lite. An utter waste of precious time.

But they probably see themselves as enlightned or enthusiastic (about metal). Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19028

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 am

I'll admit, I didn't care for the Obituary CD at all. Sounded very uninspired IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

detuned wrote:
To defend my choices:

Theatre of Pain - prior to this album I was a Motley Crue fan, but hated TOP so much that not only did I get rid of it...I took down all my Motley Crue posters and stuff and have probably only listened to them about 5 times in the past 25 years.

Really? I think ToP is pretty good. Not as good as Shout At the Devil or Too Fast For Love, but a lot better than Girls Girls Girls, which was mostly awful. City Boy Blues, Use It Or Lose It and Tonight are classic Crue tracks imo.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37695

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 am

detuned wrote:

THEATRE OF PAIN was where Motley Crue lost me, too. I was HUGE into SHOUT @ THE DEVIL and TOO FAST FOR LOVE and was soooooo psyched for TOP's release, but I don't think I ever got past that godawful back cover photo. I was like "Geez, not only did Vince kill that Hanoi Rocks guy, but they stole his wardrobe too." The songs were pretty lame as well ("Home Sweet Home?" Gaaaaaaaack!)

That album was my first lesson in having a favorite band "sell out" on me. Tough for a 14 year old. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest metal album failures   Biggest metal album failures - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest metal album failures
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: