Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
Onkel Ben
Troublezone
stevegarveyfan
ultmetal
Dave the Boss
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Empty
PostSubject: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:49 am

and is it me, or is this the best doom album to ever come out of the US? What a classic. Their post-Run To The Light material really pales in comparison. Opinions anyone?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:03 am

I love their post- Run to the Light stuff too. It's different for sure. However, I do agree that the first Trouble album is awesome! Have it on white vinyl and CD.

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 am

From that era, it's pretty legendary...still sounds awesome after all these years. Easily one of my favorite albums of the 80's.

St. Vitus - Born Too Late is another U.S. doom classic from the same time period.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I love their post- Run to the Light stuff too. It's different for sure. However, I do agree that the first Trouble album is awesome! Have it on white vinyl and CD.

I love how you tell us exactly what formats you have obtained. Braggart! Just kidding. I love to know what stuff you have, 'cause the collector in me just enjoys being tortured by the knowledge that someone else has something I DON'T have.

I have a lot of collectible stuff, but with each passing day I realize that the more stuff I get, the more I realize how much more stuff there is that I don't yet have. It's a neverending process, ain't it?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 am

I'm a huge Trouble fan and i like pretty much everything they've done. Their weakest albums are the last two... Plastic Green Head and Simple Mind Condition but even those are still good to me. My three favorites would be Psalm 9, The Skull and The self titled.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 9:57 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I love how you tell us exactly what formats you have obtained. Braggart! Just kidding. I love to know what stuff you have, 'cause the collector in me just enjoys being tortured by the knowledge that someone else has something I DON'T have.

I have a lot of collectible stuff, but with each passing day I realize that the more stuff I get, the more I realize how much more stuff there is that I don't yet have. It's a neverending process, ain't it?

That's the fun of collecting. 🤘

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:54 am

detuned wrote:
From that era, it's pretty legendary...still sounds awesome after all these years. Easily one of my favorite albums of the 80's.

St. Vitus - Born Too Late is another U.S. doom classic from the same time period.

I think Vitus peaked with their second album. Never was too big a fan of the period with Wino, Reagers still rules supreme imo. Wino was much better in The Obsessed.

Have to agree that the post-Run To The Light stuff is good, but nowhere near the astounding brilliance of the first three albums. That said, the 1990 album and Manic Frustration are great heavy rock platters. Their next album (with Warrior Soul's Kory Clarke on vokills) is supposed to be a return to the heavy doom sound.
Back to top Go down
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 3:00 pm

I never really liked troubles later stuff, but their early albums are awesome.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Sorta related here...

Is anyone familiar with the band Lid and their album In The Mushroom? It's the project (band?) Eric Wagner put together after he left Trouble. I've heard some clips and it sounds pretty decent to me. Kinda stoney/psychedelic rock.

Anyone else have an opinion on this release?

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Sorta related here...

Is anyone familiar with the band Lid and their album In The Mushroom? It's the project (band?) Eric Wagner put together after he left Trouble. I've heard some clips and it sounds pretty decent to me. Kinda stoney/psychedelic rock.

Anyone else have an opinion on this release?

I used to have it. There are a couple of really good songs, but its pretty forgettable. The guitarist is from Anathema, I believe.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:10 am

Quote :
I used to have it. There are a couple of really good songs, but its pretty forgettable. The guitarist is from Anathema, I believe.

I thought the same.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:11 am

Eric has a new project called Black Finger.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 am

Psalm 9 is indeed a perfect Doom Metal album...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:52 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I thought the same.

Eh, I'm still thinking of picking it up. It's pretty cheap. The clips sounded promising and I'm sure I've heard/owned worse.

Quote :
The guitarist is from Anathema, I believe.

This is correct, although I don't know who Anathema are or what the guitarist's name is.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 am

I think I need to listen to this one today!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:02 pm

It's good, I dig it. Love Eric Wagner's voice and the more "trippy" vibe of the album. Maybe not a classic, but not everything has to be.

Worth getting IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:11 pm

I like all of Trouble's albums. Not a bad one in the bunch. Plastic Green Head rules. That one is damn heavy and catchy. Psalm 9 is a classic though.

I wouldn't say Psalm 9 is the best doom album to come out of the US though because you forgot the band Pentagram!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Psalm 9 and The Skull are absolute classics. The s/t (90) is their best
IMO. I thought Run To The Light was a little weak, though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Man - just listened to it again!! What a GREAT album!!!! Of course, I have been listening to it since the 80's!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 pm

The S/T from 1990 is my fave Trouble, mainly because it was the first album of theirs I heard (I saw them live while they were touring for it... instant fan!). PSALM 9 is no slouch though. Nor is THE SKULL.

The only album of theirs that doesn't get much play from me is RUN TO THE LIGHT, and I'm not exactly sure why. It's a decent enough record while it's playing but doesnt' have that "special something" that makes me want to give it repeated spins.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm

FF is like my echo, only with more detail....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...   So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I was spinning the first Trouble album earlier today...
Page 1 of 1