Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio and Sabbath's influence

Go down 
+3
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Dio and Sabbath's influence Empty
PostSubject: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Ever noticed that DIO has been VERY influenced by his Sabbath days? Here's some examples. On the Holy Diver album, the title track and Shame On The Night sound like they could have been on Mob Rules or Heaven & Hell. His new material since 1992 has an almost doomy feel to it, much like Dehumanizer. Am I completely off base on this comparison?

I'm interested in your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm

No you are not off base at all, but it makes since that is material carries over some left over influence from his stint with Sabbath, because unlike Ozzy he actually helped write some of the music on those Sabbath albums he was involved in.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm

I think Dio found his niche when he was in Sabbath so it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:41 pm

I agree with you SF.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:53 pm

He has a lot of Rainbow in his song writing, too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I can definitely hear that (even though alot of Dio's work has it's own vibe to it...I can't hear Sabbath doing "I Speed At Night" or "Rainbow In The Dark" for example. I'm not familiar with Dio's recent material, the last album I heard was Strange Highways.

But the influence I think works both ways...compare Heaven & Hell or Mob Rules to the Sabbath albums prior, there was a major stylistic change once Dio came aboard. That style pioneered on Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules has pretty much carried on through the Tony Martin era, the reunions with Dio, etc.

Tony & Dio are a good match, both changed by working with each other. That's kind of the way I look at it.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 3:01 am

Yeah, even though Sabbath was/is Tony's and Geezer's band, Dio escaping out of Ritchie's shadow and finding his niche when he came to Sabbath, so it makes sense that he is forever closely linked to them, lyrically and musically.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 6:39 am

who is this Dio person you all are refering to surprised

Dio Dio Dio Dio Dio Dio Dio
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 7:46 am

When you think about it "Stargazer" fits in the Sabbath/Dio vibe, so he already had that in his blood, Sabbath was a natural fit for him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio and Sabbath's influence   Dio and Sabbath's influence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio and Sabbath's influence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: