Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros

Go down 
+8
manny
candlemass
Dave the Boss
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
XYZ
GrandNational
Schbopo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Empty
PostSubject: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 pm

There are some songs where the introduction goes on waaaaaaay to freakin' long and I find myself screaming at my stereo to "get to the damn song!" And this includes seperate tracks that are meant to act as intros. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:

Pink Floyd-Time
Pink Floyd-Speak to Me/Breathe
Van Halen-Hot For Teacher
Van Halen-Oh, Pretty Woman (The intro being "Intruder")
Van Halen-You Really Got Me (Intro="Eruption")
Steve Miller Band-Jet Airliner (Intro="Threshold")
Jethro Tull-My God
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm

The one's that annoys the shite out of me are

Lizzy Borden - Love is a Crime
&
WASP - The Idol.

and to a lesser degree (because I love them) Savatage - Jesus Saves

All great songs though
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Schbopo wrote:
There are some songs where the introduction goes on waaaaaaay to freakin' long and I find myself screaming at my stereo to "get to the damn song!"

We can't have our music like fast food. Patience pays off. There is always the option of fast forward or skip button Laughing
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:29 pm

GrandNational wrote:

We can't have our music like fast food. Patience pays off. There is always the option of fast forward or skip button Laughing

Patience is for hippies and bus drivers.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 12:46 am

Schbopo wrote:
There are some songs where the introduction goes on waaaaaaay to freakin' long and I find myself screaming at my stereo to "get to the damn song!" And this includes seperate tracks that are meant to act as intros. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:

Pink Floyd-Time

Wrong on all accounts.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 2:59 am

xyz wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Pink Floyd-Time

Wrong on all accounts.

lol! I thought you'd call me on that.

But seriously, the clocks in "Time" are cool and all, but then that weird little opening goes on for like 2 minutes! Is there any reason the verse can't start after the clocks? Would that be so difficult?

And in "Speak to me/Breathe", it's just really quiet ambient noises for about a minute and a half! I like the scream before the fade in, but the rest I can do without.

I'm kind of split on the drums in "Hot for Teacher". Sometimes they sound really cool, but other times they bug the crap out of me. They don't even sound like drums really, but I guess that's the beauty of it.

"Oh, Pretty Woman" sucks. The "Intruder" intro is the best part of the song. But it's so friggin long and completely different from the Roy Orbison crap that I can almost never identify it when it comes on the radio.

I like "Eruption" and I like "You Really Got Me". I know that they're two totally different songs, but the radio stations out here play the former right before the latter, so it counts. "Eruption" was freaking mind blowing the first time I heard it, but now it's just "Yes Eddie, you can tap and make weird noises, we get it!!"

So bleh. Razz
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:19 am

xyz wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Pink Floyd-Time

Wrong on all accounts.

That's what i was going to say too. Especially, Hot For Teacher! That drum intro is classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 am

Schbopo wrote:

But seriously, the clocks in "Time" are cool and all, but then that weird little opening goes on for like 2 minutes! Is there any reason the verse can't start after the clocks? Would that be so difficult?

And in "Speak to me/Breathe", it's just really quiet ambient noises for about a minute and a half! I like the scream before the fade in, but the rest I can do without.

I'm kind of split on the drums in "Hot for Teacher". Sometimes they sound really cool, but other times they bug the crap out of me. They don't even sound like drums really, but I guess that's the beauty of it.

"Oh, Pretty Woman" sucks. The "Intruder" intro is the best part of the song. But it's so friggin long and completely different from the Roy Orbison crap that I can almost never identify it when it comes on the radio.

I like "Eruption" and I like "You Really Got Me". I know that they're two totally different songs, but the radio stations out here play the former right before the latter, so it counts. "Eruption" was freaking mind blowing the first time I heard it, but now it's just "Yes Eddie, you can tap and make weird noises, we get it!!"

So bleh. Razz

We got different types of animals here my man (gerbils, hamsters...maybe even a ferret!).

Dark Side Of The Moon was recorded back when people cared about dynamics, before every song HAD TO BE LOUD ALL THE WAY THROUGH LIKE IT IS NOW. Think of those intros as the equivalent of the quiet sections of a classical piece. (plus it makes more sense if you're dancing with Mary Jane)

The Hot For Teacher intro - the drums are supposed to imitate the sound of a motor idling (harley davidson or hot rod, take your pick)...and it's a cool effect.

Actually, I can't possibly listen to Eruption/You Really Got Me unless they are sequenced together. When they reversed them on that Greatest Hits CD I wanted to shoot somebody.

Intruder/Pretty Woman is the same basic theory, just not quite as good in the execution.

But all of this stuff is easily fixable my man...download a freeware .wav editor online, chop up songs any way you want. Be your own DJ!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 9:04 am

I forget the name of the track cuz I ditched the CD a long time ago, but the first track on Onslaught's IN SEARCH OF SANITY album is five minutes of pointless random noises before the first song finally kicks in. Annoying as hell.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 9:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I forget the name of the track cuz I ditched the CD a long time ago, but the first track on Onslaught's IN SEARCH OF SANITY album is five minutes of pointless random noises before the first song finally kicks in. Annoying as hell.

"Asylum", and I agree.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:52 am

Stygian Shore - Visions Of Doom
Manilla Road - Flaming Metal Systems
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 7:23 pm

There is nothing unnecessary about Pink Floyd! angry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Schbopo wrote:

Pink Floyd-Time
Steve Miller Band-Jet Airliner (Intro="Threshold")
Jethro Tull-My God

WRONG!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 8:01 pm

candlemass wrote:

"Obscured by Clouds"
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 9:58 pm

In Search Of Sanity is one of my favorite albums but that first track is worthless.

One intro I always loved was T.N.T to Doctor Feelgood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 12:52 am

Schbopo wrote:
candlemass wrote:

"Obscured by Clouds"

Shocked Wow, I'm surprised you don't like that one, some great songs on there. Keep in mind that it was a movie soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 4:32 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

"Asylum", and I agree.
I agree as well!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 5:35 am

I dont ever really think about how long or short an intro is, to me it's all part of the art form that the certain band is trying to portray in their songs. There are countless songs and bands in this world that sound so similar, I emrace any extended intros, outros, guitar "wankery", out-of-key vocalists, piano solos, acoustic guitar bits-and-pieces, sound bytes(like Thy Majestie intros for example), prog-rock lull-you-to-sleep songs, laughing and talking between songs, etc....

To me it's all good. Part of the experience that is rock and roll.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Too say Eruption is too long is Blasphemy.
Back to top Go down
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Time is my favorite pink floyd song.=/ way to say all those good songs suck.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Am I Evil? wrote:

That's not even remotely what I'm saying. I agree, Time is one of their best songs, it's just that I think it would be just as good with a little less intro.
Back to top Go down
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Am I Evil? wrote:

That's not even remotely what I'm saying. I agree, Time is one of their best songs, it's just that I think it would be just as good with a little less intro.
what makes it good is the intro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros   Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs with Unnecessarily Long Intros
Page 1 of 1