Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Grateful Dead

Go down 
+9
DeathCult
James B.
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
manny
tohostudios
akeldama
Schbopo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:57 pm

I think I'm turning into a Dead-head. I bought both "The Very Best of" and "Workingman's Dead" and I can't get either one out of my stereo. They're both smurfing awesome. "Casey Jones" has been stuck in my head for weeks. Someone save me.

But seriously, anyone like the Dead?
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 3:34 am

I'm a huge Dead fan, I really like "Workingman's Dead", I also like "American Beauty", but my fave album is "Blues For Allah" and my fave song is probably Dark Star. If you want live stuff, it's hit and miss, I recommend "Europe '72" for starters.

Last edited by akeldama on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 am

I will never understand the attraction of this band.

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 am

tohostudios wrote:

Ditto.

I like other SF late sixties bands like The Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc. but The Dead just bore me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 am

tohostudios wrote:

Ditto, they bore the hell out of me, I'll never understand the appeal but if you enjoy it Snoppy more power to ya.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:02 am

manny wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Ditto, they bore the hell out of me, I'll never understand the appeal but if you enjoy it Snoppy more power to ya.

Add me to the list as well. I dated a girl who was a big Dead Head and she tried so hard to get me to like these guys and I just didn't get it. Part of it was, at the time we dated, I was all about metal, so this hippy-dippy poop didn't fly with me. But I've tried in later years, thinking maybe I missed something. Nope. Nothin' doing. And I hate the smell of petrulli. sick

Schmedric, have at 'em.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 am

Never had much use for the Dead. Don't hate'em but don't love'em either. When I first started working for this company (more years ago than I care to remember) the gal who sat at the next desk was a major Deadhead. She had been to dozens of shows, had a collection of live Dead tapes that rivalled my collection of legitimate CDs, and had a little boom box on her desk always playing their stuff. At first it was kind of annoying, but thankfully she was in sales and therefore she spent three quarters of the day out of the office making sales calls (and she was nice enough to let me use her boom box while she was gone so I could listen to MY music!), but hearing that hour or so of Grateful Dead every morning from Monday thru Friday for a year or two, pretty much fulfilled my Dead-listening requirement for the rest of my life.

I remember when the news came across the wire that Jerry Garcia had kicked the bucket, the poor gal was inconsolable for about a week.

I gotta say one thing I always liked about the Dead: that video for "Touch of Grey" with the skeletal marionettes is cool as hell.

My brother (a.k.a. Mr. Grindcore/Death Metal Guy) dated a gal who was a Dead fan for a while too, MG. He sez it was usually quite entertaining whenever they went somewhere in his car cuz he'd be crankin' up some Slayer or whatever and she'd sit there with her fingers in her ears. Haha! That relationship didn't last long.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:25 am

Quote :
My brother (a.k.a. Mr. Grindcore/Death Metal Guy) dated a gal who was a Dead fan for a while too, MG. He sez it was usually quite entertaining whenever they went somewhere in his car cuz he'd be crankin' up some Slayer or whatever and she'd sit there with her fingers in her ears. Haha! That relationship didn't last long.

Without getting into the dirty details, this girl (who was a few years older than me at the time) and I couldn't have been more different in just about every way. It was strictly a physical relationship, for which I'm forever "grateful" to her (yes, pun intended). The funny thing it, months after we had broken up, my buddy ran into her and she was with another dude that had a strong resemblence to me. I guess she had a "type". Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 pm

I love the Dead. My favorite album of theirs right now is Go to Heaven. I have a handful of the their albums that I got through Amazon for like $.50 - $3.00 so you can't go wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 8:49 am

I like them, the concert vibe was different. My favorite era is the Pigpen years.

Hey she=bop Laughing

try "Mars Hotel" and "hundred year hall"
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm

The Dead (remaing members) are playing in our old building tonight and tomorrow. I was going to venture out at lunch, but the hippie infestation has already begun. I've seen more VW vans in the last half-hour than I've seen all year.

At 5:00, I'm calling in an air strike to napalm the parking lots. It's the only way to get rid of 'em.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The Dead (remaing members) are playing in our old building tonight and tomorrow. I was going to venture out at lunch, but the hippie infestation has already begun. I've seen more VW vans in the last half-hour than I've seen all year.

At 5:00, I'm calling in an air strike to napalm the parking lots. It's the only way to get rid of 'em.

Laughing very hard The Dead just played at the Izod Center (aka the Meadowlands) here in Jersey earlier this week. I am sure that my former co-worker that I mentioned earlier in this thread was in attendance.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:58 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Ditto.

I like other SF late sixties bands like The Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc. but The Dead just bore me.

Agree 100%. Well, except on Jefferson Airplane and all that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Quote :

So you agree 50%? Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm

I like Airplane. I work with a guy who used to work the lights for SF bands back in the 60s. He was telling me about being invited to this house where Jefferson Airplane was staying and Grace Slick answered the door with a candy dish full of LSD. He was describing the house and the area and about a week later, I caught the JA episode of Behind The Music and damned if they didn't show that same house, just as described.

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Quote :
I caught the JA episode of Behind The Music and damned if they didn't show that same house, just as described.

Yeah they all lived in that house on Fulton Street. Great band, despite what DC says. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:20 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

So you agree 50%? Smile

I'm in agreement 19.753%/100%

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:30 pm

9.5/10!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:32 pm

lol! "MetalGuy7th1"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:26 pm

In the right mood I can be a Grateful Dead fan. American Beauty and Mars Hotel would be my favorites of the limited ones I have. I also like In The Dark which most of my Deadhead friends hate with a passion.

I was surprised how great they were live. Apparently the night I saw them (spring '93 Cap Centre) is considered one of the best tapes with the collectors. I've always wanted to track down a copy. The only thing I hated was the "space" portion of the show.

It is hard not to love Jefferson Airplane if you've ever seen the movie Gimme Shelter.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 10:07 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

So you agree 50%? Smile

Closer to 70%. I wouldnt buy an album most likely, but I wont turn the station if they came on the radio either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 9:25 am

They were one of those bands that came out at the right time and era to be loved and followed all these years. Everyone thought of Jerry Garcia as a god, ha!

He was average at best sure he was their signature head of the band but their music is boring at least most of it is to me. I do like a few songs.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 11:18 am

Wargod48 wrote:
They were one of those bands that came out at the right time and era to be loved and followed all these years. Everyone thought of Jerry Garcia as a god, ha!

He was average at best sure he was their signature head of the band but their music is boring at least most of it is to me. I do like a few songs.

Wargod50

I personally like their Workingman's Dead and American Beauty period. I think the music is fantastic... they had a very unique sound there that blended psychodelia with country. I am not a deadhead by any means, but I do like them. They are a band, however, that is better savoured live.

I could see why some folks find them a bit boring, and that's cool. However, I would not call Jerry Garcia "average". He is not a Guitar God in the sense that Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Hendrix are, of course. But, he has a very distinct picking style, that is very much his own. I like that about him, even if technically he is not a wizard.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 pm

My top 3 Dead albums are:

1.Blues For Allah
2.Wake Of The Flood
3.From The Mars Hotel

Get them in remastered/expanded editions, I have all 13 studio albums in that format and they have a lot of kewl unreleased jams and the like.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:49 am

I never liked 'em... but i did like that old video for "Touch of Gray".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Grateful Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grateful Dead   The Grateful Dead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Grateful Dead
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: