Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Media player for computer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Media player for computer Empty
PostSubject: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 7:03 pm

I just bought a laptop with Vista on it. I have never been a huge fan of Windows Media Player, but I am not sure of the choices now days since I run Linux on my desktop. I use Amarok or Rythmnbox. Not a huge fan of Amarok 2 but the older version is the best.

For Windows, what is the best? Winamp? Windows Media Player anyway?, I-tunes?

Also, this laptop didn't come with any CD or DVD burning software. How is the default stuff with Vista (which I think by the way that I hate, but I am not going to change it right now because I don't want to void my warranty). Any recommendations there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 7:33 pm

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Foobar 2000. Open source media player, uses almost no memory...but is super powerful and contains a great file conversion utility. It can handle FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and a ton of other file types. I first tried it about 3 years ago and have never looked back. It's completely customizable as well, letting you decide how the player looks and performs.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Does it import album covers? Since you breached the subject what format is best for lossy format cd rips? I don't have the space right now for flac.

edit: For what it's worth, I started using Winamp. I had purchase a WinAmp Pro once before when I was running windows. It turns out that my registration key is still good. I am using a vbr MP3 format. In case I get an ipod or other mp3 player it will probably make things easier.

Just for kicks I downloaded foobar2000 and it still is on my system.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:56 pm

I use the highest possible VBR quality setting (V0) for .mp3 rips. On an average system it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between that and lossless. I tend to use .FLAC for jazz and classical music (more space in the recordings, room sound, natural reverb) and .mp3 for rock and metal.

I use a different program for extraction, EAC (Exact Audio Copy), it's also freeware.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 pm

detuned--do you run Linux on your machine? This laptop came with a trial of Office 2007. I deleted the shortcut off almost before I did anything else and installed Open Office.
Back to top Go down
Conservationist
Metal novice
Metal novice
Conservationist

Number of posts : 87

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:25 pm

detuned wrote:
I tend to use .FLAC for jazz and classical music (more space in the recordings, room sound, natural reverb) and .mp3 for rock and metal.

FLAC is also great for preserving rare metal recordings that you want to upload and share with others, since they're out of print/copyright and yet many would enjoy them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:28 pm

bgast1 wrote:
detuned--do you run Linux on your machine? This laptop came with a trial of Office 2007. I deleted the shortcut off almost before I did anything else and installed Open Office.

No, I'm still running XP at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Media player for computer   Media player for computer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Media player for computer
Page 1 of 1