Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thee Hypnotics

Go down 
+2
Svengo
rattpoison
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Thee Hypnotics 500512752_l

Such an interesting and forgotton english group from the late 80's and early 90's that was on the edge of rock n' roll stardom but through a bit of bad luck, public indifference and their own doing never quite became the super stars they were destined to be. Some may know em through the back pages of Kerrang from back in the day.

They were the first foreign band signed to Sub Pop, Lords Of The New Church wanted to replace Stiv Bators with their frontman Jim Jones, had the chutzpah to cover "Sweet Emotion" on Tyler and Perry's home patch in Boston like stickin' a flag into foreign land, worked with members of the Pretty Things (The Stones big bad ugly brothers from the 60's) and the Black Crowes (The Stones hip American derivatives from the 90's Cool ), had famous fans in Thruston Moore, Ian Astbury, Bobby Gillespie and Chris Robinson (Who got to produce them and courted them onto hip Rick Rubin label American), influenced everyone from Grunge contempories Screaming Trees to latter day garage rock darlings the White Stripes.

So why weren't they huge? Well a car accident that injured band members on your first US tour doesn't help, but more so then anything despite drinking from the same Detroit drain as more famous Grunge contempories they were too flash, rock starry and arrogant for the dressed down hermit fashion of the day. It wasn't a time for big rock stars......just ask Urge Overkill.

Anyway in sound these guys were largely based in Stooges and MC5 Motor City Rock but they also embraced the postures and sounds of 70's arena straddlers Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. Their is a heavy soul and funk influence to the sound, frontman Jones comes off Iggy Pop meets James Brown. Also Rolling Stones, Pretty Things, The Doors, Free, Faces, Psychedelia, Blue Cheer, Pink Fairies, Jimi Hendrix, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and John Barry! find their way into their unique sound.

Frontman Jim Jones has made some great records since with bands Black Moses and his current outfit the Jim Jones Revue who are like a car crash between the Stooges and Jerry Lee Lewis!

This clip is great ,you just weren't meant to do this in '94.......

Some other clips......

Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 am

Kinda like Lenny Kravitz's brother from another mother.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 pm

I have the Very Crystal Speed Machine. It starts out strong but then seems to kind of meander to the end. Maybe there is a better album to have? Or maybe (this was my point about off-peak Grand Funk ironically) it requires an investment in time that I haven't made to plumb it's depths?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:11 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I have the Very Crystal Speed Machine. It starts out strong but then seems to kind of meander to the end. Maybe there is a better album to have? Or maybe (this was my point about off-peak Grand Funk ironically) it requires an investment in time that I haven't made to plumb it's depths?

The VGSM on American is good but hardly their best, i think Chris Robinson's influence on it extended beyond the producers chair.

My fave is Soul, Glitter & Sin: Tales From The Sonic Underworld (1991) on Beggars Banquet, it was produced by John Leckie of Stone Roses fame and is one of my all time fave records. Although i'm not sure if it might be your thing Sahb, i jokingly refer to it as the "Stooges meets John Barry (James Bond music)". Alot of smoky dissonance and swampy textures.....the soundtrack to a sleazy bygone bohemian underground nightclub. Big Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds influence over it as well. This might be crazy but it's kinda like the SF Sorrow of the 90's!

This is the single from it to give you an idea of where it's coming from musically.....

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 am

No, actually that's the best song I've heard by them. Frankly, I'll take John Leckie over Chris Robinson anyday. I was always was off into that "Madchester" stuff in a big way. I'll give them another chance. I always thought the Manchester power pop bands were a nice update on the sort of thing the Scott Richardson Case did in Detroit in the late 60's.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:38 am

Although that record is as far away from any prevailing UK music trend at the time such as Madchester, Shoegaze or early Britpop.

I think the album you'll like most from them Sahb is Come Down Heavy (1990), its more straight forward and rockin'. The title track starts off with this great crunchy Led Zeppelin like riff and then descends into Stooges dirt for the next 3 or so minutes.

This is a single from that album......

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 am

I just picked up Come Down Heavy the other day on RP's recommendation (thanks, dude) and I really dig it. I'll probably pick up more of their stuff somewhere down the road.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:28 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

I got this one coming to me. It was dirt cheap on Amazon, which could be a red-flag that it's a clunker. We'll see. I'm really digging Come Down Heavy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 6:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

I got this one coming to me. It was dirt cheap on Amazon, which could be a red-flag that it's a clunker. We'll see. I'm really digging Come Down Heavy.

All their stuff is cheap........that's what happens when big things are expected but the general music buying public are retarded.

The VCSM is probably my least favourite of their records (They only had 3 plus a Live EP with singles tagged on it) but it's still great. More varied kinda reminds me of those classic early 70's Free records, lots of slower soul songs but still some psychedelic hard rockers. Better then anything producer Chris Robinson was doing at the time with the Crowes, Marc Ford and Ed Harsch play on the record aswell.

I think it was Chris Robinson's fawining over the Thee Hypnotics in the English music weeklies (Sounds and NME) that triggered my interest in them, or it might of been Ian Astbury. Mind you i'm reading these dusty old papers in 2nd hand record stores 15 years after the fact.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I just picked up Come Down Heavy the other day on RP's recommendation (thanks, dude) and I really dig it. I'll probably pick up more of their stuff somewhere down the road.

They do a song called 'Ressurection Joe' that sounds vaugley familair. Is that a cover? I don't have the liner notes handy, so I can't check the writing credits. I feel like I've heard that song before. And if I haven't, then they ripped off a melody somewhere.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 3:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They do a song called 'Ressurection Joe' that sounds vaugley familair. Is that a cover? I don't have the liner notes handy, so I can't check the writing credits. I feel like I've heard that song before. And if I haven't, then they ripped off a melody somewhere.

It's funny i mentioned Ian Astbury before, the Cult had a song called Resurrection Joe although it's a different song to Thee Hypnotics. As for there's i'm pretty sure it's written by them.

While were on about The Cult, Garage Rock and the Stooges.......have you checked out this MG........

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Funny, I almost picked up a Fuzztones cd the same day I got Thee Hypnotics cd. I ended up putting it back cause I was already over my spending limit. If I get a chance to go back there I'll probably get it, although I don't remember which one it was at the moment.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 5:19 am

The Fuzztones are a big fave of mine, not that far away from Thee Hypnotics but with more of puritanical zeal when it comes to 60's Garage Rock.....crazy farfisa organ drives their psychedelic sound.

Astbury produced their album In Heat (1989), a great album but their classic is Lysergic Emanations (1984)........which i reckon is one of the best straight rock n' roll (sans Metal and Punk) albums of the 80's.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

The Very Crystal Speed Machine just arrived in the mail today. As I listen to it, I can't help but make some comparrisions to the Black Crowes. I'm not sure if I would have made those conclusions on my own, or is it because I knew ahead of time that this disc was produced by Chris Robinson that I was subconsciously looking for that connection. Either way, my 1st impression is that I'm liking what I hear, but there does seem to be quite a difference between this album and Come Down Heavy.

So far though, these guys are 2-for-2 in my book. RattPoison, you did it again, you magnificant bast*rd!! I'll be getting the rest of their discography in the near future I'm sure, even if it means harvesting organs from hobos to sell on the black market. Laughing

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:
I have the
Very Crystal Speed Machine. It starts out strong but then seems to kind
of meander to the end. Maybe there is a better album to have? Or maybe
(this was my point about off-peak Grand Funk ironically) it requires an
investment in time that I haven't made to plumb it's depths?

I
got this one coming to me. It was dirt cheap on Amazon, which could be
a red-flag that it's a clunker. We'll see. I'm really digging Come Down Heavy.

The Very Crystal Speed Machine
just arrived in the mail today. As I listen to it, I can't help but
make some comparrisions to the Black Crowes. I'm not sure if I would
have made those conclusions on my own, or is it because I knew ahead of
time that this disc was produced by Chris Robinson that I was
subconsciously looking for that connection. Either way, my 1st
impression is that I'm liking what I hear, but there does seem to be
quite a difference between this album and Come Down Heavy.

So
far though, these guys are 2-for-2 in my book. RattPoison, you did it
again, you magnificant bast*rd!! I'll be getting the rest of their
discography in the near future I'm sure, even if it means harvesting
organs from hobos to sell on the black market. Laughing

Yeah your right about the Black Crowes thing.......but both bands were
sippin' from the same barroom rock n' soul clatter of the Faces, Humble
Pie, Free, Stones etc. Although i'd be tempted to say Thee Hypnotics were a bit
of a contemporary influence on the Crowes and all considering the
effusive praise Robinson gave them in the print media back in the
day.......like i said before i've read to many dusty old NME's and
Sounds magazines.

Your half way their concerning them, you only need the live EP Live'r
Than God with the studio EP songs and singles tagged on and their
second full length that was smack bang in between Come Down Heavy and
The Crystal Speed Machine.......Soul, Glitter & Sin: Tales From
Sonic Underworld. Which is again different then the others and probably
the most divisive of their stuff.....it's all blue smoke and sticky
carpet, a sleazy rock n' roll trip. Like Beggars Banquet era Stones roped off in
some seedy London nightclub with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds playing
on the small stage to the right of the bar.

It's like pretty much my fave album ever or at the very least jostling with a few at the top of my stash!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm

How'd Soul Glitter & Sin stack up MG?......also i see you got Royal Stink by Black Moses. cheers
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:03 am

rattpoison wrote:
How'd Soul Glitter & Sin stack up MG?......also i see you got Royal Stink by Black Moses. cheers

Gonna have to give it some more spins. Nothing grabbed me right off the bat, but I only gave it 1 or 2 plays before I moved on. I've got allot of new music lately, so I'm just going through all of it right now. All 3 of their discs have very different vibes to them. Kinda weird, as if they didn't know what direction or style they wanted to follow. Not drastically different, mind you, but no 2 discs sound the same.

Black Moses just arrived yesterday (Tuesday), but I've given it a few spins already and I'm liking it. One thing that stands out is that it's only 31 minutes long and over too soon. Which I guess is a good thing. Laughing

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 11:06 am

I vaguely remember them, but I think they are due for a revisit. I am going to go find some of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 11:14 am

Neuropete wrote:
I vaguely remember them, but I think they are due for a revisit. I am going to go find some of their stuff.

If by "find some of their stuff", you mean purchase, go to Amazon. I've gotten 2 of their 3 releases from there very cheap.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

Gonna have to give it some more spins. Nothing grabbed me right off the bat, but I only gave it 1 or 2 plays before I moved on. I've got allot of new music lately, so I'm just going through all of it right now. All 3 of their discs have very different vibes to them. Kinda weird, as if they didn't know what direction or style they wanted to follow. Not drastically different, mind you, but no 2 discs sound the same.

Black Moses just arrived yesterday (Tuesday), but I've given it a few spins already and I'm liking it. One thing that stands out is that it's only 31 minutes long and over too soon. Which I guess is a good thing. Laughing

It took me quite a few spins for Soul, Glitter & Sin to sink in but it's now one of my all time fave records. It's more subtle and darker then the other records. "Shakedown" has to be one of the greatest opening tracks ever imo.

Royal Stink is probably short because they recorded that in a caravan out the back of an English pub! Mind you it later got mixed at Abbey Road studios!.......also i reckon it was a return to the 3 minute Rock N' Roll song that influenced the shortness of it.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Neuropete wrote:

If by "find some of their stuff", you mean purchase, go to Amazon. I've gotten 2 of their 3 releases from there very cheap.

Thanks a million! Holy Cannoli, I just snagged me a copy of one of their CD's for 70 cents! nice! Gotta love Amazon Marketplace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:47 am

Neuropete wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Neuropete wrote:

Thanks a million! Holy Cannoli, I just snagged me a copy of one of their CD's for 70 cents! nice! Gotta love Amazon Marketplace.

What did you end up getting? Also, check out Black Moses if you get a chance. It's the lead guy from Thee Hypnotics in a different band. Good stuff.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:49 am

Quote :
Gotta love Amazon Marketplace.

Aint that the truth. I buy probably 95% of my CDs there.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
Gotta love Amazon Marketplace.

Aint that the truth. I buy probably 95% of my CDs there.

I just recenlty started buying from there. Been putting quite the dent in my wallet. I'm getting tired of the haggling and lack-of-bargains on ebay. My only complaint so far is that Amazon doesn't take Paypal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 4:42 pm

How you finding Black Moses MG? Was i way off with the Aerosmith comparison? Cause i reckon out of all the reviews for it i'm hard pressed too see one that mentions the 'Smith, it's all Stooges/MC5/60's/Detroit this and 70's Psychedelic Soul/Funk that.......but i know Jim loves em particuarly when back in his Hypnotics daze they cockily covered Sweet Emotion on the Aero's home turf Boston.

Here's a band i reckon you might dig MG who kind of come from the same thing as Thee Hypnotics/Black Moses, the record Sin Factory (1993) is a cracker and can easily be attained from Amazon for a good price.......

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thee Hypnotics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thee Hypnotics   Thee Hypnotics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thee Hypnotics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next