Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Coup de Grace

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

The Coup de Grace Empty
PostSubject: The Coup de Grace   The Coup de Grace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:38 am

Any fans of this extremely underrated band here? This is a band from my skinny years. One of the earliest demos I owned was their Bombs Away demo. Back then, however, I was too young to really care. I have no idea where that demo is now. I don't have it. I can't even remember if it was good or not, but I'm guess I'd love it today.

In the early 90s I came across their first full-length, The Coup de Grace. It remains a favorite of mine to this day. The album was shunned by many. Too many. It wasn't thrashy enough for the thrashers, or rockin' enough for the rockers, or alternative enough for indie turds, and so on. And that, of course, was the albums problem. It wasn't enough of any one thing. They mixed things up perfectly, if you ask me. Now, they remind me of early Soul Asylum with a heavy dose of thrash.

Here's two of the more thrashy tracks from the debut:

DAYLIGHT DAWNING
TIL THE BITTER END

Their second--and final--album, The Art of Survival, to my knowledge, was only released in Japan. The album came out five years after the debut and is a bit mellower. There's less thrash, more rock, even some 70s vibes floating around. It is, however, a great great album!

Here's two tracks from that album:

ALL FALL DEAD
PRIDE RAN DEEP

Again, not as heavy, but they're both awesome tunes. The band may even still be together. These videos are from 1999. The songs aren't on either album, though, and they're definitely more of a groovy, bar-room rock style. Like Monster Magnet.

You can hear more here:

http://www.myspace.com/thecoupdegracerocks (more unreleased songs, as far as I know)

Either way, the self-titled and The Art of Survival are two of the best CDs I own.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

The Coup de Grace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coup de Grace   The Coup de Grace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:37 am

The vocalist/guitarist looks like manny morales.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Coup de Grace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coup de Grace   The Coup de Grace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 4:52 am

i liked them in the beginning...they became much less thrash overtime though.

The Coup de Grace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coup de Grace   The Coup de Grace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 8:39 pm

They were friends of mine. Haven't spoken to any of them since the early 90's though.

The debut is much better, and MUCH easier to find than their second album. They still do a show every now and then for the heck of it. I saw them last about 3 years ago.

I think I may have some rare tracks I can send ya, ES. If I remember right they did some stuff for some local comps. I'll check into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Coup de Grace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coup de Grace   The Coup de Grace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Coup de Grace
Page 1 of 1