Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!

Go down 
+8
DallasBlack
Troublezone
Schbopo
rattpoison
stepcousin
Addy
XYZ
Mglaffas81
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Allan Holdsworth - one of the biggest influences on Eddie Van Halen

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Awesome solo!! These guys are the true guitar gods, since they truly started it all - I am not too familiar with jazz, but I don't think a guitar solo like this is a normal part in jazz? Or what? - In any case, it's awesome 🤘
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm

No surprises here. Jazz musicians are the most talented musicians out there, imo.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:00 pm

agreed
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:29 pm

wow, not only was he phenominal but he also pioneered the uni-brow look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 pm

That type of playing in jazz also developed "post-Hendrix", John McLaughlin and Sonny Sharrock were two of the first...then Holdsworth and DiMeola came in a little later.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm

The first two Soft Machine records are brilliant.......after that though is a different story.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:13 pm

Dude's got skills.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Great playing, but kind of lifeless, eh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 pm

I don't find it lifeless, maybe a little clinical, but I feel it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 am

Excellent

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am

Quite the guitar solo for sure. I agree with Eyesore but only on the beginning. It starts off lifeless but picks up quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:48 am

holdsworth one of the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:50 am

Why does it sound like all the members are each playing a different song? Very Happy Each a skilled musician, no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be any groove here. Maybe it's just a bad recording, but even the drums and bass seem out of sync with each other. Eh, it's probably just me. I don't get this.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Allan is amazing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Intriquet but not lifeless.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Why does it sound like all the members are each playing a different song? Very Happy Each a skilled musician, no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be any groove here. Maybe it's just a bad recording, but even the drums and bass seem out of sync with each other. Eh, it's probably just me. I don't get this.

highly complex jazz fusion with a hefty dose of improving tends to sound like that a lot, one gets use to it though. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 pm

sam wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

highly complex jazz fusion with a hefty dose of improving tends to sound like that a lot, one gets use to it though. Wink

The foundation of jazz is "collective improvisation".
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:44 pm

I love improv but sometimes like MG71 said it sounds like crap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Now here's a new approach to Stairway To Heaven...

Stanley Jordan - I've seen this guy live a few times and he's mind boggling.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:31 pm

That is amazing!! I have practiced playing like that many times and i just cant get it as clean as I would like it.

What does bother me about the song is when the other musicians come in the song does a complete 360 and gets really bad IMO. The playing is still amazing its just it didnt have that great rich tone and grab as it did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 am

Hmmm...I didn't think they were all playing a different song. Surely travelling different paths, but the same direction.

Then again, many years ago I would have rather stabbed my testicles with a wire brush than listen to anything jazzy or progressive.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am

Eyesore wrote:
Hmmm...I didn't think they were all playing a different song. Surely travelling different paths, but the same direction.

Then again, many years ago I would have rather stabbed my testicles with a wire brush than listen to anything jazzy or progressive.

Nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!   Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Now THIS is a guitar solo!!!!
Page 1 of 1