Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
Lari
Gilbert
James B.
rattpoison
candlemass
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Empty
PostSubject: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Okay, maybe an odd notion for a topic...but sitting here listening to the song "Gypsy" by Uriah Heep (recorded 1970) I started thinking about Priest. Specifically 70's era Priest, Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class.

In Gypsy, just substitute the organ for a second guitar part and have Rob sing the lead vocal...it would fit on Sad Wings Of Destiny. I think Priest brought in a little of the "epic structure" that Heep was working on and used it on tracks like Victim Of Changes, Beyond The Realms Of Death, etc.

For that matter, I think early Deep Purple also played a part in Priest's development.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 11:55 pm

When Priest first came out their sound was described as a mix of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. To wich the band replied, "sounds pretty good to us!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:24 am

detuned wrote:

I think early Deep Purple also played a part in Priest's development.

Isn't that the same as your headline? Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:59 am

rattpoison wrote:
detuned wrote:

The only thing Heep and Purple have in common is a Hammond organ player. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:55 am

detuned wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
detuned wrote:

The only thing Heep and Purple have in common is a Hammond organ player. Very Happy

and under-rated drummers
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 am

Not really into uriah heep. Which is their heaviest album you could recommand?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 am

I read the Deep Purple book and there was a bit about how in the early 70's the guys saw Uriah Heep on TV and were surprised and got kind of mad. They thought Heep sounded too much like them. They were doing the exact same thing with their music, playing heavy and loud, with those wailing vocals and organ solos.

Anyway, when I hear early Priest I think of Led Zeppelin. Or maybe the Black Sabbath debut album.

It wouldn't take too long for Priest to develop their own style and sound though. Already Sad Wings was very unique for its time, and I think they mastered it by the time Stained Class came out.

EDIT: To Gilbert: Try Magician's Birthday as your first Heep CD. Demons & Wizards and Look at Yourself are also classics. I like the new one (Waking the Sleeper, 2008) a lot, too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 am

I can hear some Uriah Heep influence in early Priest. I wouldn't doubt they had an influence on them.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 am

I have never heard Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest, til you pointed out the song 'Gypsy' and I would not doubt that Uriah Heep was an influence on the mighty Priest.

I also thought that maybe Queen may have been influenced by Uriah Heep, due to the way Uriah Heep would use their vocals and they would layer the vocals, I have even heard critics refer to Uriah Heep as the 'Beach Boys of heavy metal'.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm

manny wrote:

I also thought that maybe Queen may have been influenced by Uriah Heep

When I listen to the first 2 Queen albums, two words come to mind: The Sweet. No doubt Queen was highly influenced by The Sweet.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:19 pm

they influenced them, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm

stepcousin wrote:
manny wrote:

When I listen to the first 2 Queen albums, two words come to mind: The Sweet. No doubt Queen was highly influenced by The Sweet.

I like the Sweet, but I have to admit I am never saw Queen and the Sweet in the same league, but you may be right, I have throw on my Sweet CD and see if I can make the same connection.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 pm

stepcousin wrote:
manny wrote:

I love Sweet but i think it's more likely the other way round.....when Queen came out with their debut Sweet were still doing Little Willy and Wigwam Bam. Sweet were very good in absorbing then current Heavy Metal sounds from Black Sabbath, Queen, Led Zeppelin etc and turning out utter brilliance in the mid 70's.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 pm

manny wrote:
stepcousin wrote:
manny wrote:

I like the Sweet, but I have to admit I am never saw Queen and the Sweet in the same league, but you may be right, I have throw on my Sweet CD and see if I can make the same connection.

Listen to Action and it's basically the best song Queen never wrote.....the Brian May like guitar tone, the pomp and outrageous vocal harmonies.

Sweet on their game were every bit in the same league as Queen imo......one thing is that Sweet could actually replicate those outrageous harmonies live while Queen couldn't because of the studio trickery and layer upon layer of Mercury's vocals used in their studio records.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

That is correct rattpoison also those early hits where not even written by the band but by the songwriting team of Chinn/Chapman and it was not til 1974 with the album 'Fanny Adams' did they take control of their own careers and songwriting by then Queen had released their debut and where getting ready to release 'Queen II'
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm

'Action' great song and I suppose I could see Queen comparison in that tune, just never thought of comparing the two bands.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

I think all of those bands influenced eachother back them. There wasn't a lot of bands out there, so you listened to what was out there. Iron Maiden were heavily influenced by Wishbone Ash for example.

PostSubject: Re: Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?   Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uriah Heep's influence on Judas Priest?
Page 1 of 1