Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kublai Khan

Go down 
+4
AchrisK
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Zdan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 am

Okay - what does everybody think about this rather obscure speed/thrash band founded by Greg Handevidt who was in Megadeth for a while.

I for one, rather like them. Sure they were not something special or groundbreaking or even remotely aggressive but their approach to speed/thrash - as I see it - was remotely catchy for such a band. I still remember some lyrics and guitar bits from their songs.

FEEL THE DEATH BREATH
IN YOUR FACE!
Back to top Go down

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:03 am

I wish they would have recorded more than the one album. They were a solid live act though! I will throw a boot of a show I have of them playing with Impaler in with your stuff.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I wish they would have recorded more than the one album. They were a solid live act though! I will throw a boot of a show I have of them playing with Impaler in with your stuff.

I would actually love that! I would love to see them play that stuff live - it is infectious as hell on CD!

Also big thanks for the trade! Great to be trading with you.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:23 am

I wish their CD wouldn't be so dang rare!

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 am

ultmetal wrote:

True. Even the 2003 Exit Only issue is rare as hell now. But I think it's totally worth it!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 am

I remember seeing this cd years ago in a used shop I would frequent. It was in the racks for months. It was before I was computer savvy and little did I know that it was a rareity or I would have snagged it. Now both the cd and shop are gone. Sad

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Yeah, no doubt. I have the cassette and I like it!

There is a guy on eBay who claims he knew or met one of the band members and bought a bunch copies of what he claims are an official remaster. He sells them from time to time on eBay.

Then there is some 2 on 1 issue with Annihilation and (I think) a Blood Feast release. I think it's one of those "official", unofficial releases.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:43 pm

There actually is an official remaster of this - in 2003 Greg and the rest of the band issued the CD on Exit Only Records - which was to say that they issue a remastered re-release themselves. This one is rare as hell too!
Back to top Go down

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I bought my re-issue from Greg himself, when he worked at Earl Roots record store [Root Cellar Records]. I also have the New Ren first press [it does not get played though!!].

That split with Blood Feast is legit, as far as I have always heard. Would love that little gem!!

You guys don't even want to know what Handevidt is doing now days. So I won't blow his image!!

Last edited by SAXON1500 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 pm

I heard is an practicing attorney right Saxon?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:12 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
That split with Blood Feast is legit, as far as I have always heard. Would love that little gem!!

That split, Kublai Khan - Annihilation and Blood Feast - Kill For Pleasure, was released on Shark Records (a collectible label in and of itself). Shark was a legit label, and handled the European release of some albums on other labels from around the world.

Anne from New Ren once claimed on the labels message board that the split was unauthorized, but the guy from Shark came on and had it out with her. The last I saw of the thread, the guy from Shark said he could prove the release was legal as he still had the contract giving him the right to release it. The thread kinda died after that, and I THINK was later removed.

Sovdat used to have the split, but I'm not sure if he still does. You might want to ask him if he still has it John, as he might part with if so.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:14 pm

And just for the record, I love the Annihilation release! Solid thrash/speed metal. Wish I could find a copy of the New Ren CD release of it...

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:16 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
And just for the record, I love the Annihilation release! Solid thrash/speed metal. Wish I could find a copy of the New Ren CD release of it...

Not aiming for the 2003 re-release? Just curious why - I know some people prefer first pressings.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Zdan wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Not aiming for the 2003 re-release? Just curious why - I know some people prefer first pressings.

Just anal about having first pressings. Also, I HATE it when artwork is changed on re-releases!

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:19 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Zdan wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Just anal about having first pressings. Also, I HATE it when artwork is changed on re-releases!

Is the artwork changed on the 2003 re-release? I thought they had the same artwork?
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Zdan wrote:
There actually is an official remaster of this - in 2003 Greg and the rest of the band issued the CD on Exit Only Records - which was to say that they issue a remastered re-release themselves. This one is rare as hell too!

I think that is what this cat is selling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250384975049
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:48 pm

I actually heard that CD and if one does not mind the changed artwork it sounds GREAT! Lots of power behind the guitars on that remaster!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Have the KUBLAI KHAN album on vinyl. Didnt play it for years but i think they sounded a lot like DRESDEN if i remember right. I will play the record soon.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 5:27 am

i'm not familiar with this band.
Back to top Go down
oldskoolcollector
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldskoolcollector

Number of posts : 65

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Cool band indeed. I own the Shark pressing with Blood Feast. But probably I like Bloodfeast more than Kublai Kahn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kublai Khan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kublai Khan   Kublai Khan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kublai Khan
Page 1 of 1