Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steve Miller Band

Go down 
+5
akeldama
Troublezone
metalinmyveins
spiritoradio
Schbopo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:08 pm

I used to hate this band, but hearing them on the radio so much, they kinda grew on me. I recently picked up a Best Of thing and I think it's great. Just good old fashioned blues-rock. Anybody a fan?
Back to top Go down

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 pm

I love Steve Miller. The two greatest hits collections and the song "Abracadabra" are all you'll ever need, though.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 am

Or you could skip the two greatest hits collections and get the "Young Hearts - Complete Greatest Hits" then you have every great song that the group ever did. Awesome band, awesome album.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I used to hate this band, but hearing them on the radio so much, they kinda grew on me. I recently picked up a Best Of thing and I think it's great. Just good old fashioned blues-rock. Anybody a fan?

I've never hated Steve Miller band, but I hated that even when walking into a college party in the 80's or 90's somebody was spinning Steve Miller Band greatest hits 74-78. That got annoying after a while. It was almost as if it was mandatory that when you went away to college, you must own this CD to show that you had some 70's prowess. The other 70's act I got sick of hearing was Jimmy Buffett. Every apartment/house I walked into had "Songs You Know By Heart" or "Boats, Beaches, Bars & Ballads".

I recently picked up Steve Miller Band's "Young Hearts: Greatest Hits Collection", which is nicely re-mastered. It's been years since I've listened to the band, and with good reason, as duly noted above.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:12 pm

For me it's one of those bands you'll listen to on the radio but not really care too much about.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I have almost the complete discography but I prefer everything from 68-78
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 6:40 pm

akeldama wrote:

I agree, I'm a big fan. I love his early stuff up to about Circle Of Love. He actally had all the songs done and recorded for Book Of Dreams way back about 3 years before it came out but the record company refused to put out a double studio album so he waited to release it until 1977 and released the awesome Fly Like An Eagle as just a single album in 1976. So basically that whole '74-'78 era meshes into one single release in my opinion. The height of his success both in songwriting , album sales, and touring.
Yes, the radio stations played his music to DEATH back then (and still do), but it's not his fault he made great music back then.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 am

stepcousin wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I agree, I'm a big fan. I love his early stuff up to about Circle Of Love. He actally had all the songs done and recorded for Book Of Dreams way back about 3 years before it came out but the record company refused to put out a double studio album so he waited to release it until 1977 and released the awesome Fly Like An Eagle as just a single album in 1976. So basically that whole '74-'78 era meshes into one single release in my opinion. The height of his success both in songwriting , album sales, and touring.
Yes, the radio stations played his music to DEATH back then (and still do), but it's not his fault he made great music back then.

agreed. Wide River was a good album too IMO, I heard he was working on a new album called "Loose Tether" and was supposed to come out last year but I've yet to see/hear it. I'm not sure it's out yet.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Liked them since I was a kid. Simple bluesy rock, good stuff.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 am

spiritoradio wrote:
Or you could skip the two greatest hits collections and get the "Young Hearts - Complete Greatest Hits" then you have every great song that the group ever did. Awesome band, awesome album.

That's what i did! I really enjoy his stuff. I've thought about finding some of his old stuff. Just haven't done it yet.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I myself only have the Young Hearts compilation. I've never felt compelled to get anything else by them, as I'm very satisfied with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steve Miller Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Miller Band   Steve Miller Band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steve Miller Band
Page 1 of 1