Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ClassicThrash.com

Go down 
+5
SideShowDisaSter
powermacho
Stender
Thrasher73
ultmetal
9 posters
AuthorMessage

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:11 am

Does anyone know who is the author of Classic Thrash website?

I am all for someone voicing their opinion, but does this guy even like thrash metal? I have read countless reviews for classic thrash bands that were not seen in a good light with him. I just don't think he likes the genre much. I was just curious.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

I always thought his reviews were sort of harsh as well. I do like the fact that he includes many of the Christian thrash bands. At one time the site didn't include bands like Vengeance, Sacrament, Believer, etc.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:56 am

He seems kind of elitist to me.He has certain bands He tends to lean toward(Slayer).He did give Vengeance-Human Sacrifice a good review so He cant be all bad.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:40 am

I like his reviews actually, I think he rates the music alot on originality and innovation quite a bit which trims the fat off of the huge thrash metal catalogue that is availabel. I definately dont agree with his deliverance reviews though...
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 am

I used to read his reviews but, there are some great albums, that he rated as bad. Like some Tankard albums are considered generic, and I don't know a band that sound like Tankard.

scratch
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:51 am

Quote :
DELIVERANCE - Weapons Of Our Warfare
USA 1990

1. Supplication
2. This Present Darkness
3. Weapons Of Our Warfare
4. Solitude
5. Flesh And Blood
6. Bought By Blood
7. 23
8. Slay The Wicked
9. Greetings Of Death
10. If We Faint Not

Weapons Of Our Warfare is a bit more notable effort than Deliverance's
previous offering, not as dry and dull, and it is probably the band's
thrashiest and most coherent effort in a conventional sense. In practice, a
lot of this improved feel must be essentially more due to the increased and
more consistent speed than any truly memorable songs that also this release
effectively lacks.
The foremost thing that you might actually remember
afterwards is the general classy feel of the music which can still get quite
boring after a while.
With not too many interesting details to speak of, it
doesn't exactly prompt you to return to this album too often. While I can
understand at least some of the appeal of Deliverance's music, for the most
part it just escapes me as pretty generic and forgettable.

I don't know. I was a huge thrash fan in 1990 when this came out and I loved it. Not sure how anyone can say there are no memorable songs. Perhaps if you have only ever listened to it once and are unfamiliar with the songs, you would not remember them. For me, however, I can break into song at the mere mention of "Slay the Wicked", "Weapons of our Warfare" "Greetings of Death" and "The Present Darkness".

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm

That dude is a bit of a wein-ster. I quit reading his reviews years ago. But the label/year info has been crucial! And his site has, in one way or another, hurt my wallet worse than any other site. I would get one of the obscure albums on his site, read the liner notes, find a dozen more bands in the liners that I have never heard of, and then try to find those. But as far as his reviews - I have never really cared much for what others think, cuz it seems my ears hear everything differently.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I can see his point sometimes, but others I think he's way off.

That being said, his site is a GREAT resource. I use it for that mostly. I'm with UncleSax as well....that site has put a dent in my bank account on more than one occasion!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

His site is only really good for albums that I have never heard of that I managed to find. His reviews suck!

I see he put AoB up there and we got 2 shitty reviews in a row. HAHA Oh well.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:43 pm

I read the AoB reviews. I actually thought the exact opposite as this reviewer. I thought Death Brigade offered more hooks and memorable songs.

Also, I hate when people criticize a band for sticking to a style. The comment, "(I) seriously ponder how
little development there has been over several decades of thrash metal"
really irks me." I've read several AoB reviews that criticize the band because they are "not creative" or they "aren't bringing anything new to the table."

What most people mean by this is that a band hasn't strayed from their style or hasn't tried mixing in other styles. Do people criticize jazz musicians for sticking to a traditional jazz style? Do critics dislike orchestras for playing music that is hundreds of years old and hasn't changed even slightly? Thrash is thrash. If that's what you like, play it. No need to play a hybrid of other styles if that's not what you want to do.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 pm

At least he reviewed AoB at all! He rarely reviews new bands and I think I may have sent him one of our albums for review one time.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
At least he reviewed AoB at all! He rarely reviews new bands and I think I may have sent him one of our albums for review one time.

You guys probably weren't close enough to a "true" thrash band for him. The fact that you guys mix in some traditional metal, and a good bit of power metal probably disqualifies you in his mind...

Did you know you guys got two pretty solid and fair reviews from the guy over at TheThrashMetalGuide.com? I like his reviews much more than the dude from ClassicThrash, but his site can sometimes be tough to wade through for ideas on new or unheard of groups, as he lists bands that only managed a single demo.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Wow! I never seen TheThrashMetalGuide.com before! That's awesome!!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Just checked TheThrashMetalGuide.com again and he hit up Avenger Of Blood with two decent reviews as well. His look at Complete Annihilation was a bit too short, but he does a good job of praising without fawning or avoiding any criticism entirely.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
You guys probably weren't close enough to a "true" thrash band for him. The fact that you guys mix in some traditional metal, and a good bit of power metal probably disqualifies you in his mind...

Did you know you guys got two pretty solid and fair reviews from the guy over at TheThrashMetalGuide.com? I like his reviews much more than the dude from ClassicThrash, but his site can sometimes be tough to wade through for ideas on new or unheard of groups, as he lists bands that only managed a single demo.

Yeah, I saw that and I like his reviews a lot more too! He seems to feature a lot more bands and go into more depth from what I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm

The guy is very harsh towards a lot of thrash bands. I remember he gave Pleasure to Kill two stars out of five and Beneath the Remains only three stars out of five. I can't see any true thrash fan giving those less than four stars out of five.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree! But both those get 5's for me!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:54 am

Cool site, thanks! The reviews are actually not that harsh, at least not the ones i've read so far.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 am

After reading a few more of his reviews since i last posted i see why some think his reviews suck. He thinks Dark Angel's first album has better production than the second, which is a joke. He also has only a couple albums of most bands except for Slayer which he has the whole catalog.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ClassicThrash.com Empty
PostSubject: Re: ClassicThrash.com   ClassicThrash.com Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ClassicThrash.com
Page 1 of 1