Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Firm

Go down 
+4
Mglaffas81
candlemass
Fat Freddy
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:04 am

The Firm Firm

For those unaware, The Firm were a "supergroup" of sorts in the mid-eighties that consisted of Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Tony Franklin, and Chris Slade.

I have only heard a couple of songs years ago and on Youtube last night. If there are people who have heard their 2 albums, I am curious to your opinions on them? I am trying to see if picking them up is worth it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 am

I like the albums and I am huge Jimmy Page fan but unless you are a completist I would not recommend them, it is really Jimmy Page getting back on his feet after the death of Bonham and the end of Led Zeppelin and it is not his or Paul Rodgers finest hour.
Back to top Go down

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 am

I'd agree with Manny on this, there are some good songs...but neither album is very solid and I'm sure probably don't hold up very well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 am

Never dug'em much. I do remember MTV whooping them up as "the next Led Zeppelin" when they first came out though. Thought that was kinda funny.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I thought this was a very good band that ended too soon. People were expecting Zeppelin or Bad Co. , I think they just didn't get it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Why is it that most "supergroups" come up with something dissapointing? It's almost never anything amazing....guess they really are only capable of creating their magic in their core bands.

It may be lots of different idea's from all backgrounds - Most of these supergroups contain the main mambers of each band, and I guess they just can't fully get along? Who knows
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Is this better than Coverdale/Page?
Back to top Go down

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 6:29 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Is this better than Coverdale/Page?

That would be a matter of perception I guess. There are 2 Firm albums (?) and only one Coverdale/Page. I'm not much of a Coverdale fan so I'm probably not the right person to give an opinion.

However, I fondly remember The Firm songs "All The Kings Horses" and "Radioactive" but can't remember a single song from the Coverdale/Page album.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:37 pm

I loved the Coverdale/Page album and had wished they had made more. Unlike The Firm's two albums and Jimmy Page's solo album, it seemed like Jimmy Page was on fire and had been blessed by the muses, and it featured some of his best playing since Led Zeppelin's Presence.
Back to top Go down

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm

manny wrote:
I loved the Coverdale/Page album and had wished they had made more. Unlike The Firm's two albums and Jimmy Page's solo album, it seemed like Jimmy Page was on fire and had been blessed by the muses, and it featured some of his best playing since Led Zeppelin's Presence.

I do remember that it definitely rocked harder, I'm just drawing a blank from a songwriting perspective...but I haven't heard that album since it first came out.

I think it was around the same time I was calling him David Cover-version. lol!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 pm

I have the S/T on cassette and it's not good. I will purchase this and the next album on cd soon just cuz I am a Paul Rodgers fanboy. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 am

I vaugley remember their "hit" but nothing more. Never heard a full album. I do like the Coverdale/Page cd. Haven't heard that one in awhile. Might have to break it out again.

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 am

My "review" of "Mean Business":

On paper The Firm seemed like they couldn't miss, but if I were to believe a lot of opinions I have seen online, the band in reality were the equivalent of mixing pancakes and steak sauce rather than a blissful musical amalgamation of Zeppelin and Bad Company. However, I tend to make up my own mind when it comes to music. Not so much when it comes to where the wife and I should eat dinner, but I digress.

Here are some of my notes on the individual tracks:

The first track "Fortune Hunter" honestly sounds like a Zep leftover that could have appeared on "CODA". A great upbeat way to start this album.

"Cadillac" is a smooth number that features Tony Franklin's fantastic bass tone throughout.

"All The King's Horses" is a dark, melancholy number that warms the cockles of my black heart. I love the effects on Page's guitar on this particular track. Rodgers' voice never sounded better than it does on this one. It may be my favorite on the album.

I'm seeing a pattern here because the next track "Live In Peace" also has a melancholy vibe to it. The feel of this song reminds me a bit of Bad Company's signature self titled song. Another one of my favorites.

"Tear Down The Walls" certainly as the opposite effect on me. I was a bit bored with this tune.

So far: Quality songs:4 Filler:1

"Dreaming" is a tune penned by the criminally underrated Tony Franklin. This has a definite Bad Company vibe to me. I really dig it. It's refreshing to hear Page doing some guitar work that is not typically his style.

"Free To Live" suffers the same fate as "Tear Down The Walls". It is kinda ho hum and middle of the road for my taste.

"Spirit of Love" is a song that has a tone of hope to it. It's a bit anthemic, and I dig songs like that when done correctly. Paul's voice is so strong on this one. I really dig it. It brings you spirit up after a somewhat bleak sounding album.

My conclusion on this album is a bit mixed. I wish there were just one "epic" song on this album, like a "In My Time of Dying" or "Rain Song". That would have taken this project to a whole new level, but as it stands, this album is far from bad, but very far from classic. Two filler songs out of 8 doesn't sound like a good ratio, but I'll take this album over anything being produced today, hands down. My friend Manny described The Firm as neither Rodgers' or Page's finest hour, and I tend to believe him after hearing this particular album. I approached this album without the least hope of it being appealing, and I was very pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it will be a regular player for me. Overall, The Firm's sophomore effort "Mean Business" stands well on its own without the Zeppelin and Bad Company footnotes, although the obvious influences infect the album on every level. I have yet to hear the S/T debut as of writing this review so I'm going backwards in their discography. I'm looking forward to hearing the debut!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 am

Excellent review, I think you will enjoy the debut a little more than 'Mean Business'

One bit of trivia, the song 'Live In Peace' was originally recorded on Paul Rodgers first solo album 'Cut Loose' and I happen to like that version better, if you donot have or heard 'Cut Loose' and are Paul Rodgers fan it is worth checking out, he produced it, wrote all the songs, and played all of the instruments.

I agree Spec, Tony Franklin excellent bass tone and criminally under rated.
Back to top Go down

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 am

"All The Kings Horses" is a classic track, haven't heard the rest of the album in years, but this thread makes me want to seek out another copy.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 pm

I grabbed both Firm albums today at Newies on sale for eight bucks a piece and I must say it was money well spent. I like both albums, but really enjoy Mean Business much more than the S/T debut. Their is a definate darker more melancholy vibe to MB than on the first. Also, the cover of "Lost That Lovin' Feeling" is vomit inducing and is only surpassed by the flaming butthole Tom Cruise's rendition in the movie Top Gun. Then again, I'm Paul Rodger's b$tch, so what do I know? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 am

I think if Coverdale/Page cd had come out maybe 2 years earlier it would have been huge!

If you can find some of the live stuff out there from the Japan shows, Get it!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:14 am

Picked up the Firm's MEAN BUSINESS at a thrift shop over the weekend (I figured what the hell, it was only a buck) and it's not doing a thing for me. Zzzzzzzz.

Anyone who might be interested in doing a trade for this thing, gimme a holla. I'd like to see it get a good home and the disc is in fine shape.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Firm Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Firm   The Firm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Firm
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: