Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?

Go down 
+8
ghost
INVADERS
MetalRob331
sam
Lurideath
mc666
chucksteak
Gilbert
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Empty
PostSubject: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:52 am

I've been a sepultura fan for over fifteen years, mainly because of the cavalera brothers, especially max's vocals which i consider to be extremely brutal and enjoyable.

After max's departure, i tried to keep interest in sepultura. I consider Derek green to be a very talented singer, but max was different...At the same time, i had the feeling that something went missing in sepultura.

So, i followed max in his different projects. And this is where i found the spirit i was looking for. Soulfly and recently cavalera conspiracy are very good achievements. I personally consider them to reflect the true sepultura sound.

I can't wait for the day the seps reunite (andreas, paulo and the cavalera brothers).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 am

I agree. When Max left he took the songwriting, inspiration and passion with him.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 am

I don't know didn't he ruin the band in the first place? They toally lost me with the album after Chaos AD. I haven't heard anything anyone has done since besides seeing that atrocius Soulfly live once. Well I was gone for most of their set it was just that awful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 am

I'm sure my opinion is different than most. I think Sepultura kept improving as they went along. I love the Roots album and all the various b-sides that showed up on Blood Rooted (I also saw them on the Roots tour and they were phenomenal).

I also like Soulfly and saw their first tour in Seattle.

I love old school thrash...but I also don't have a problem with bands trying new things and bringing in other influences. I loved the whole tribal/world music angle that Sepultura started weaving in towards the end of Max's tenure with the band. The music was just as uncompromising as it had been before, but with a wider tonal palatte to choose from.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 pm

i still like them, even without the Cavalera brothers.

chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:09 pm

detuned wrote:
I'm sure my opinion is different than most. I think Sepultura kept improving as they went along. I love the Roots album and all the various b-sides that showed up on Blood Rooted (I also saw them on the Roots tour and they were phenomenal).

I love old school thrash...but I also don't have a problem with bands trying new things and bringing in other influences. I loved the whole tribal/world music angle that Sepultura started weaving in towards the end of Max's tenure with the band. The music was just as uncompromising as it had been before, but with a wider tonal palatte to choose from.

yeah the tribal fusion thing is what lost me I guess. I really only heard that album once or twice from a friend. I suppose after all these years I should give them a listen again as we all have different views of music as we get older.

Is there anything they have done close to pre-Chaos AD sound since then?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:19 pm

chucksteak wrote:
detuned wrote:

yeah the tribal fusion thing is what lost me I guess. I really only heard that album once or twice from a friend. I suppose after all these years I should give them a listen again as we all have different views of music as we get older.

Is there anything they have done close to pre-Chaos AD sound since then?

Soulfly (especially prophecy and conquer) as well as cavalera conspiracy (inflikted) are pretty close to chaos ad.

The tribal rythms are very interesting. Max Cavalera has matured over the years and he delivers various positive messages through his music.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:36 pm

I haven't even cared since Chaos AD. That album sucked and it just got worse for me. Beneath The Remains is a classic and remains my favorite album of theirs even to this day. No days I could care less and don't like Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiricy, or new Sepultura.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I haven't even cared since Chaos AD. That album sucked and it just got worse for me. Beneath The Remains is a classic and remains my favorite album of theirs even to this day. No days I could care less and don't like Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiricy, or new Sepultura.

That's exactly the reaction I expected, the instant a group moves out of the acceptable "thrash" format they've sold out and cease to be relevant. That's just too narrow a view for me to be comfortable with. But hey, we all like what we like for our own reasons.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I like some of the stuff I've heard from new sepultura but nothing has got me excited enough to spend money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:36 am

detuned wrote:

Roots is one heavy album even with all the tribal parts. I also think Sep was getting better.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 am

mc666 wrote:
i still like them, even without the Cavalera brothers.

100% agree. I really like the albums with Derrick Green, but it would also be cool if they did do a reunion with Max and Igor.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:52 am

I think A-Lex is very good (like Dante XXI already was). When I listened at it the first time I didn't like it, but after a few listens more I started to dig it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Haven't got a-lex yet. But the reviews seem quite positive.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

I like Max better with Sepultura even though i didn't like Roots. I thought Against was better than the first couple Soulfly's but now Soulfly is better since Marc Rizzo joined on lead guitar. BTR, Arise and Chaos AD will always be my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 pm

detuned wrote:

I totally agree with ya detuned.I'm old school all the way but I loved the tribal elements they started incorporating.Roots is one of my favorite Sepultura discs.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Does max still play with 4 strings on his guitar? I remember back around the time of Chaos AD he was supposedly talking to companies about making a 4 string guitar. Obviously everyone was smart enough not to bite on that great marketing idea. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 pm

chucksteak wrote:
Does max still play with 4 strings on his guitar? I remember back around the time of Chaos AD he was supposedly talking to companies about making a 4 string guitar. Obviously everyone was smart enough not to bite on that great marketing idea. Laughing very hard

Actually, 4 string guitars (called tenor guitars) have been around since 1924. They were originally developed for banjo players that wanted to double on guitar.

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Soaresy_tenor
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 pm

That's weird. Just play a bass if you want 4 strings.

Last edited by Schbopo on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Schbopo wrote:
That's dumb. Just play a bass if you want 4 strings.

Uh, it's an octave difference my little Primus friend. It's basically the same as a six string but without the low or high E strings.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:09 pm

detuned wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Uh, it's an octave difference my little Primus friend. It's basically the same as a six string but without the low or high E strings.

You send them to school and they eat the books,detuned. lol!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Schbopo wrote:

or 18

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Get
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18932

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Max could be, but Max, Igor, Paulo and Andreas had great chemistry together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 pm

detuned wrote:
chucksteak wrote:

Actually, 4 string guitars (called tenor guitars) have been around since 1924. They were originally developed for banjo players that wanted to double on guitar.

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Soaresy_tenor

well I guess I do learn something new everday! And to think I've been playing guitar for 20 years and have never heard or seen one of these before. Egg on my face. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:31 am

They aren't very common. I learned about them when I started studying up on Jazz guitarists. There was a player named Tiny Grimes that recorded on and off from the 40's to the 70's, reading the liner notes to one of his albums it mentioned he played a tenor guitar...thus I had to find out what that was.

Max just used a regular 6 string and took the high E and B string off, Andreas filled in any melodic gaps, freeing up Max to just riff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?   Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Max Cavalera, the real spirit of sepultura?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next