Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Franz Ferdinand

Go down 
+5
manny
metalinmyveins
Shiney
rattpoison
Mglaffas81
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Anyone like this band? I frickin' love them! I don't know why, of course, but I do. I think it's the grooves. They just have this rockin' style to their music. Not heavy, but it just grooves, has great rhythms. And the songs are damn catchy. I can't even elaborate. I'm not even sure what style of music this would be classified as. Alt-rock? No idea. It rules, though.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Hmmmm, haven't checked them out as I tend to avoid anything labled "Alternative Rock" - Just not my thing

- But I can't judge. Can you link up some video's of some of their better songs?
Back to top Go down

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Sure. Chiggity check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9GR9kdZ3o (kicks in around the 1:00 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcAxKmj1i3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlJVO236SI
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm not even sure what style of music this would be classified as.....

At the time when they first came out they were given that lame term "Post-Punk Revival" like many other great bands at the time, namely the great Interpol and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Also i think "Art Rock" was thrown their way through their affinity with Roxy Music. Point is labels suck. Call em Indie and move on i reckon.....

I've never really got into them (maybe their huge popularity and hype has something to do with it).......kinda struck me as like Wire or Gang Of Four meets Blur/Britpop......but they fill the dancefloors at the indie clubs i go to so they can be useful.

Check out Interpol, you might like em if you dig FF's jagged dancey post-punk grooves......

Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:28 pm

INTERPOL are a Shiney favorite....I can never get enough of the song "Evil"

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Wow. Interpol really does sound like them, huh? I don't know that they have the hooks, though. They don't in those songs, at least. But they sound good. I'll keep a look out for cheap used copies.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Wow. Interpol really does sound like them, huh? I don't know that they have the hooks, though. They don't in those songs, at least. But they sound good. I'll keep a look out for cheap used copies.

Their not as bouncy and hooky like FF.........more a darker and moodier alternate, Interpol deal in bad vibes.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Anyone like this band? I frickin' love them! I don't know why, of course, but I do. I think it's the grooves. They just have this rockin' style to their music. Not heavy, but it just grooves, has great rhythms. And the songs are damn catchy. I can't even elaborate. I'm not even sure what style of music this would be classified as. Alt-rock? No idea. It rules, though.

I have their debut album, and quite like it. I have a buddy, who has been heavily into music that originates outside of the states. He's not a metal guy at all, or hasn't been for a good number of years. He was turning me onto many bands like that of Franz Ferdinand. Subsequently I looked into others like them. One of my faves is "The Hives". They have a cool look onstage, and their lead singer is a riot.

Here's a Hives song called "Tick Tick, Boom Boom"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdjqlRn6KOM
Back to top Go down

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 pm

The Hives is a band I dug when I lived in England. But when I picked up their albums, I got bored. The singles in limited quantity were cool, but I just couldn't dig them in larger quantities.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 am

Hm....nope, don't like them. I clicked and listened with an open mind, but I just can't get into them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:00 am

I like Franz Ferdinand really good band with solid hooks plus I thought their name is funny being named after the arch duke Franz Ferdinand who's assassination would trigger World War I, also like Interpol very cool band, I at the moment only have CDR copies of their debut albums.

I actually like The H.I.V.E.S., not a great band but a fun band, sort of the Swedish answer to The Ramones.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 am

Every INTERPOL cd is great.....

And to further hijack Eye's thread....I also love KINGS OF LEON....great great band!!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 am

They sound like a 80's throwback as far as style. Take Me Out is a catchy song.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Shiney wrote:
Every INTERPOL cd is great.....

And to further hijack Eye's thread....I also love KINGS OF LEON....great great band!!

It's an indie fest......

I went and saw the KOL live a couple of years ago.....but it wasn't because i liked them it was for other reasons Wink. Kinda southern Strokes which ain't my deal, although the guitarist pulls off some tasty Robbie Robertson guitar licks. But now their so frickin' huge i can't see myself getting into them. You guys in the US wouldn't have a clue how massive they are in the UK, Europe, Japan, Australia etc. Not just a big selling album band but a singles band too, No. 1's, Top 5-10 etc. I think they've sold more copies of their recent album in Australia than in the US, and the US has like 15 X the population.

One good thing about them is that it shows record labels that they should build bands like the old daze instead of trying for instant success, it's taken them their 4th album to really break big and maybe another one or two more to break big in their homeland.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:09 pm

You don't know what yer missing RP...delve deep brother....dig into the KING OF LEON.

And then FLEET FOXES.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

I've seen this band's album but didn't know what they sounded like.

Let's just say, sometime's ignorance is bliss.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Shiney wrote:
You don't know what yer missing RP...delve deep brother....dig into the KING OF LEON.

And then FLEET FOXES.

I'm not missing out......my sister plays their records 24/7. I know them inside out and back to front.

Them and MGMT......who i dig. You would dig them too, swirly dancey glamadelia.....

Back to top Go down

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Not a fan of Kings of Leon. I tried to get into them at the insistence of a friend. I love The Coral, so she thought I'd dig them. Me no likey. She also suggested The Libertines. Me no likey.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:
She also suggested The Libertines. Me no likey.

The Libertines rock my socks......"What A Waster" and " Time For Heroes" are two of the finest songs of the last decade or so.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Never been a fan of The Libertines. I also have an irrational hatred for Pete Doherty (I think you'd have to live in Britain to understand - thank you British tabloids. ugh). Franz Ferdinand however, I think are great. Have always enjoyed them and their quirky stylings. Not something I've ever been listen to in mass quantity, but in moderation, they're very enjoyable.

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Anyone like The Coral?

They remind me so much of the Dead Milkmen. That last video, "Skeleton Key," had me convinced it was the Dead Milkmen when I first heard it. It was on the Kerrang! channel in England when I heard it. I was in another room in my house and for a second was totally excited. Then I come out and look and I'm like, "Who the hell is this?" But I loved the song. Now they're a favorite band of mine. I love them!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

When i hear that funny breakdown in the song (Take Me Out) i think of the Pee Wee Herman dance. Razz
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Anyone like The Coral?

I do, one the best 60's bands born out of the 60's since the Brian Jonestown Massacre. The only band that had me thinking the La's, Captain Beefheart and Robyn Hitchcock at the same time. I really love the debut. Really bent english kind of whimsy and humour and bonkers guitar sounds.

You might want to check out the Zutons, another Liverpool band that take a bit of an influence from the Coral.........

Back to top Go down

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 pm

Yes, yes. Shiney turned me on to the Zutons. They really sound like the Coral, huh? Brian Jonestown Massacre is really good, too.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yes, yes. Shiney turned me on to the Zutons. They really sound like the Coral, huh? Brian Jonestown Massacre is really good, too.

Damn that Shiney......he's always one step ahead! Laughing

The Zutons are really really good, Amy Winehouse covered their song Valerie and it became a big hit for her going to No. 2 or something in the charts......but their still relatively unknown which is a shame considering the boring faceless bands that get passed off as indie these days.

You might wanna check out the Rascals who also derive a bit of influence from the Coral, again from that same Liverpool scene as the Zutons and Coral.......

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Franz Ferdinand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Franz Ferdinand   Franz Ferdinand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Franz Ferdinand
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: