Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Benefiting from the recession.

Go down 
+10
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
DeathCult
the sentinel
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
Troublezone
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Benefiting from the recession. Empty
PostSubject: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 am

Just got two killer records today from the going out of business Virgin Megastore in my area... Sepultura/Dante and Pro-Pain/No End In Sight. The Sepultura album is by far the best thing they have done with Derrick Greene and The Pro-Pain album is the most vocally diverse they have ever been. Got the Pro-Pain for 50% off and The Sepultura for 70% off.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:07 am

Sucks that so many music stores are going under.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am

ultmetal wrote:

I know... i'm especially sad about Tower records going under. Sad
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:52 am

I think it sucks so many stores went under but what can you expect when you charge $18.99 per CD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:57 am

manny wrote:
I think it sucks so many stores went under but what can you expect when you charge $18.99 per CD.

That's my big problem with the big chains. The wife and I go to Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney alot and their prices are outrageous! But they have quite a selection.

The small stores where you can occasionally find a rare gem for 5 bucks are the ones I'll miss, but not too much. Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:59 am

manny wrote:

That and the fact that they don't sell appliances like Best Buy or Circuit City.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:20 am

I don't know how FYE stays afloat. Their prices are ridiculously outrageous. I guess they make it with dvd and video game sales or something. I don't have any Virgin Music stores in my area. Too bad. I made out like a bandit when Tower closed up shop.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I made out with a bandit when Tower closed up shop.
uh....okay!??? lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am

T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
uh....okay!??? lol!

That's how I distracted the security guard.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 am

I have often wondered that about FYE too, as I have been pretty critical of them for quite some time. I guess they stay afloat through online sales and the mix and burn zone. I have actually compared a few prices on common hard rock and heavy metal cd's that they and Newbury Comics both carry and FYE is always more expensive.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 am

Ive been cleaning up alot on the rare circut lately on eBay, Ive been getting every disc for under 20 bucks pretty much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:30 am

DeathCult wrote:
Ive been cleaning up alot on the rare circut lately on eBay, Ive been getting every disc for under 20 bucks pretty much.

I'm finding it the opposite. I used to buy a ton of my stuff on ebay, but lately, I'm having lousy luck finding bargins. Seems like since they changed the limits on shipping charges, people are charging more or using the Buy It Now option. And I'm mostly looking for fairly common stuff, nothing rare or out-of-print.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
uh....okay!??? lol!

That's how I distracted the security guard.
LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself brotha! 🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 pm

a local store here called Dad's Cds just went out of business the last of December. they had a buy one, get one on everything in the store. we walked out with 48 cds.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
a local store here called Dad's Cds just went out of business the last of December. they had a buy one, get one on everything in the store. we walked out with 48 cds.

What were the cd's you got?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:28 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I've done decent on there. I find that I've been having to go after the SUPER obscure lately, though, if I want to get the best deal.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm

I still miss Tower Records. Benefiting from the recession. 352445

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:

5 years ago there was at least 10 stores I could go to in the LA area, now there is only 3 that I know of. Sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 pm

I dont even think FYE exists in Oregon I havent seen one ever. We have a independent shop called CD world that is about as big a selection as it gets...same deal though 15 to 18 bucks for a new disc but every once in awhile you can pick out something rad from the used section...I just hope they can make.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 pm

We're losing another of our local record stores here. Sad as they had been here since the 70's. We're now down to just one more.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:55 pm

spectrefate wrote:
manny wrote:

That's my big problem with the big chains. The wife and I go to Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney alot and their prices are outrageous! But they have quite a selection.

The small stores where you can occasionally find a rare gem for 5 bucks are the ones I'll miss, but not too much. Smile

You live in Orlando spec?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Austin appears to be mostly surviving the retail music slump. The Tower records closed a few years ago, but there are a few really good size independent shops that have found little market niche's that allow them to survive.

Waterloo Records sells CDs, but a large part of their business is becoming vinyl. They also have many in-store performances & signings, sell tickets to local clubs, etc. They also have a restaurant/bar.

Encore Music is a primarily Metal store, LOTS of t-shirts, CDs, import videos, vinyl, etc. They also rent movies...mostly horror, mostly obscure stuff.

There are several other stores.

Austin of course is one of those "artsy" towns, so I'm not surprised to see these kind of businesses survive here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 am

Quote :

We live in Bartow, about 45 min to and hour away. In Polk County.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 am

spectrefate wrote:
Quote :

We live in Bartow, about 45 min to and hour away. In Polk County.
*makes note, calls the cops*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Benefiting from the recession.   Benefiting from the recession. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Benefiting from the recession.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: