Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spock's Beard/Neal Morse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Empty
PostSubject: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 am

This probably could be in the metal/hard rock section as well but I'm putting it here on the side of caution:

Any fans of these prog rock legend?

I'm not very familiar with their older material but I do have Day For Night, V, and Snow. They are great prog albums IMO. Neal Morse is a great vocalist/keyboardist/guitarist and his brother Alan Morse is a great lead guitarist (how many lead guitarists never use a pick?) and the rest of the group are very talented. Neal Morse left the band in 2002 after Snow (IMO one of the best rock operas ever) to persue a solo career and the drummer took over vocal duties though I haven't gotten any albums since. The music is still good and while nowhere near as good as Neal, the vocalist isn't too bad but I just don't find their albums used around here and I don't feel like getting anything new (too many others ahead of them). Here is their myspace for the newer music:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=11574099

For Neal material:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=177599592
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=370423955
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=309214060
tracks 4, 5, & 6

Neal Morse became a Christian in 2002 before the album Snow which was his magnum opus for Spock's Beard (the story of which is a metaphor of his conversion). He felt that God wanted him to write music to his glory and decided to leave Spock's Beard for a solo career. Many long time SB fans bad mouthed him for his decision but he ignored the naysayers and in 2004 released his first solo album Testimony (which chronicled his conversion). Despite the fact that the lyrics were more faith based lyrics the music was very similar to SB and was hailed as a prog rock masterpiece. Neal does the vocals, guitars, and keyboards, Mike Portnoy does the drums, Randy George (from the band Ajalon) plays bass, and various guest musicians (including Alan Morse, Phil Keagy, Kerry Livgren, etc.) have contributed to each album. He has released an album every year since 2004 except 2006. The newest one Lifeline is another great piece of prog rock and will be in my top list for 2008. If you like Neal era Spock's Beard and lyrics of faith doesn't bother you I highly recommned it. Funny how Kerry Livgren is a guest in the first album seeing as just like him, Neal is a very talented musician who plays multiple intruments (excep unkike Kerry, Neal can sing) and come from famous prog bands. Both musicians I believe are probably the most talented Christian aritsts around. The myspace account:

http://www.myspace.com/nealmorse
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 3:15 am

Spock's Beard, love 'em. Neal Morse, his lyrics are crap. I generally ignore lyrics, but the overly preachy just bug me. That goes for any subject matter, not just Christianity. Neal's solo stuff is fantastic musically, but I felt like I was in Sunday school--albeit a rather cool, progressive Sunday School--getting bombarded with Bible talk.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 am

Eyesore wrote:
Spock's Beard, love 'em. Neal Morse, his lyrics are crap. I generally ignore lyrics, but the overly preachy just bug me. That goes for any subject matter, not just Christianity. Neal's solo stuff is fantastic musically, but I felt like I was in Sunday school--albeit a rather cool, progressive Sunday School--getting bombarded with Bible talk.

Yeah, if overly faith based lyircs get on your nerves, it's best to stay away from Neal Morse. However, for prog rock fans who could care less or for Christians prog rock fans who tire of praise and worship music that is spoonfed CCM crap, I highly recommend Neal's solo material.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 am

I have V and it's a great CD!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 am

Spock's Beard is very cool and progressive band, I agree with Eyesore concerning Neal Morse's lyrics being somewhat preachy, but I find them interesting since his faith seems to come from a personal point of view instead of some genric God is great type of lyrics.

Very rarely do you hear an album where the vocalist/lyricist walks you thru his struggle with coming to terms with who he is and his personal relationship with God.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:52 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I have V and it's a great CD!

That was my first one, I love the song All On A Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SioWpI4kHM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, if overly faith based lyircs get on your nerves, it's best to stay away from Neal Morse. However, for prog rock fans who could care less or for Christians prog rock fans who tire of praise and worship music that is spoonfed CCM crap, I highly recommend Neal's solo material.
It's hard to explain. I listen to a ton of Christian bands. Many of my favorite bands are Christian. So I don't mind faith-based lyrics at all. But some albums it seems like that's all I can hear. Just cheesy, praise Jesus cliches. They make me cringe.

Or maybe I really just don't like his music and my brain is trying to pin the blame on something, I don't know. I was just listening to "Flood" by Jars Of Clay, so what the hell do I know. Laughing
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
It's hard to explain. I listen to a ton of Christian bands. Many of my favorite bands are Christian. So I don't mind faith-based lyrics at all. But some albums it seems like that's all I can hear. Just cheesy, praise Jesus cliches. They make me cringe.

Or maybe I really just don't like his music and my brain is trying to pin the blame on something, I don't know. I was just listening to "Flood" by Jars Of Clay, so what the hell do I know. Laughing

LOL - I haven't heard Neal Morse' solo albums - are the lyrics cheesier than Petra's?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 5:19 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

LOL - I haven't heard Neal Morse' solo albums - are the lyrics cheesier than Petra's?

Some songs may be (but IMO nowhere near Petra's, maybe more like Mortification). Here are some of the better lyrics for Leviathan:

Praise ye the Lord from the earth ya sea monsters
Stretch out your necks let us see ya breathe fire
Out of the depths of the sea comes Leviathan
How many heads will there be on Leviathan?

The serpent was small but swiftly uncoiling
From Pharaoh to Caesar he grew his blood boiling
How many heads will there be on Leviathan?

From his mouth a blazing torch
With sparks of fire leaping forth
And form his nostrils smoke comes dank as death
He sneezes and bright light comes out
He's king of the sons of pride, no doubt
And when he turns on you
YOU BETTER LOOK OUT!

In the day of the Lord He will slay the sea monster
He will punish the dragon that rose from the water
There will be no place to flee for Leviathan
One day we all will be free from Leviathan

This is about as "cheesy" (as a Christian I don't find it to be so) as he gets:

Life like a razor can shave you clean
Or it cuts in a moment and leaves you to bleed
And in fear you have settled for what you have found
You're safe, you're comfortable, but you're stuck on the ground

Fly high, fly straight through the open sky
Give up everything you have for what you could never buy
It's time, if you seek you can't help but find
What you give up you'll gain, you will be lifted high

What is holding you, is holding you down
You might have to take off that rock-and-roll crown
But what you think is your identity is not really you
Let it go keep breaking till we break on through

And fly high, fly straight through the open sky
Give up everything you have for what you could never buy
What you give up you'll gain, Jesus will lift you high
Fly high

Give up everything you know for what you could never buy
And what you give up you'll gain, Jesus will lift you high

Give up everything that you have for what you could never buy
Just give it all up and you'll gain, Jesus will lift you high
Fly high
Fly high
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:21 pm

I love Spock's Beard, never checked out any of Neal's solo material though. My first album by Spock's Beard was the self titled that came out not too long ago. I fell in love with Skeletons At The Feast. Such an epic song!!

I kept typing Spick's Beard.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 2:49 am

Love Spock's Beard. I listened to the V album over and over too many times to mention. Once Neal converted I lost interest in the band and his solo material even thought I am Christian. Kinda weird, I hate to listen to praise music, but I love to read worship prayers on my own time when I'm alone with no noise. I can't explain why I like to separate these two, it's just a personal thing I guess. Maybe I sensed it to be like what Eyesore has explained it to be, and listening to the samples, Eyesore is right.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 5:29 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

The lyrics are in no way cheesy. I was listening to One the other day and it hit me at how his lyrics are somewhat preachy in parts but as Manny said, not in a generic God is great way. They come off very personal and heartfelt. If you know anything about Spock's Beard, you know that Neal does not do cheesy lyrics and his solo stuff is no exception. I don't see how any true Christian follower could find any fault in the lyrics. If they do, then maybe they need to re-examine their faith.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm

I appreciate his lyrics for the depth and not the, rah Jesus, factor. Need more of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spock's Beard/Neal Morse   Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spock's Beard/Neal Morse
Page 1 of 1