Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - First Strike

Go down 
+6
manny
Fat Freddy
stepcousin
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
journeyman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Def Leppard - First Strike Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Has anyone heard this. Is it a demo that was bootlegged or a first album. I have heard conflicting stories that the band released this with their first management team and then also that this was the band's demo they used to shop for a major label deal. I never even heard about it until recently while in a discussion a couple of friends claimed that On Through the Night was not their first album and of course they never actually heard it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 11:19 pm

It's a collection of demos recorded before On Through The Night. Once the band found a measure of popularity, one or two former managers released the demos as an "album." It's actually not that bad, to be honest. "Heat Street" and "See The Lights" aren't great songs, but "Glad I'm Alive" is killer. It should have been on an official album at some point. And the early versions of the On Through The Night tracks are really cool, too.

Anyway, On Through The Night was their first official full-length. First Strike is just a bootleg.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 am

Here you go. I remember seeing this on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Strike_(Def_Leppard_album)
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 12:59 am

metalinmyveins wrote:

gotcha. So, it was 7 song demo released by their former manager without approval. How about that. Any idea why the band hasn't formally released this as part of some box set or archives collection, especially since it's alread out there. I am sure there would more than a little interest in hearing the beginnings of one of the biggest imports of the eighties. I would certainly like to hear it. Motley Crue released their demo tracks (Stick To Your Guns and Toast of the Town) on the remastered Too Fast for Love cd.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 1:10 am

journeyman wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

gotcha. So, it was 7 song demo released by their former manager without approval. How about that. Any idea why the band hasn't formally released this as part of some box set or archives collection, especially since it's alread out there. I am sure there would more than a little interest in hearing the beginnings of one of the biggest imports of the eighties. I would certainly like to hear it. Motley Crue released their demo tracks (Stick To Your Guns and Toast of the Town) on the remastered Too Fast for Love cd.

Probably due to the fact that they had a harder edge back then, so God forbid they ever revisit those days by releasing some of this stuff. I have a bootleg disc of the Leps from the Paris Theater in London England where they played "Glad I'm Alive". It doesn't have the date of the show, but it probably is from early 1980, because I also have 5 songs on that same disc from the "Reading Festival" in 1980. Eyesore is right, the song "Glad I'm Alive" is a good song.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 1:13 am

Plus, the songs aren't all that great, to be honest. A couple are decent, but really, only demo collectors (such as myself) or hardcore Leppard fans would probably want it.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 am

They might be rough tracks but between that and the e.p.that preceeded FS, I'd rather hear those than any of their 90's or 2000's crap.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 12:44 pm

I haven't seen a copy of it in years. I remember one of my friends had a cassette of it when we were in high school. It had a very cheesy, cartoony cover of a leopard's claw scratching across a map of the U.S. on the front Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 5:58 pm

I doubt that release will ever see the light of day unless Def Leppard one day agree to release a box set of some sort.

Def Leppard have claimed those songs are not very good and they have even slammed the production of " On Through the Night"

Also Def Leppard have tired to distance themselves from their metal roots and NWOBHM that they helped create.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Def Leppard were never metal.

Also, even if they were, I don't think after 30 years a band has to try to distance themselves from anything. If a band was metal in 1979, then in 2008 it shouldn't even be an issue.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 11:25 pm

It would be cool to hear this album. I wish DL would release a box set (and Dokken too). Both bands have similar situations with their early EP's being released without their approval and/ or stolen and released as bootlegs. I know that both of these bands have seen their heydays and made their money (especially DL), but why not release them as part of some box set or bonus tracks on re releases, etc. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Also, even if they were, I don't think after 30 years a band has to try to distance themselves from anything. If a band was metal in 1979, then in 2008 it shouldn't even be an issue.

Maybe they weren't a metal band, but according to the autobiography they co-wrote with David Fricke "Def Leppard:Animal Instinct" they had labeled themselves as a heavy metal, even going as far in the book to claim they wanted to change the sterotype negative images of metal. They along with their record label (Polygram) along with their management companies (Q Prime who also manages Metallica) marketed them as a metal band for the first decade of their career. If they want to move beyond the label of heavy metal or even at this point in their career feel they were never a true heavy metal band, fine but at one time that is what they labeled themselves as, not me. Either way I don't foresee those " First Strike" tracks every resurfacing as an official release.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 am

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Maybe they weren't a metal band, but according to the autobiography they co-wrote with David Fricke "Def Leppard:Animal Instinct" they had labeled themselves as a heavy metal, even going as far in the book to claim they wanted to change the sterotype negative images of metal. They along with their record label (Polygram) along with their management companies (Q Prime who also manages Metallica) marketed them as a metal band for the first decade of their career. If they want to move beyond the label of heavy metal or even at this point in their career feel they were never a true heavy metal band, fine but at one time that is what they labeled themselves as, not me. Either way I don't foresee those " First Strike" tracks every resurfacing as an official release.

I have this same book by David Fricke....The band definitely intimated this early on. I don't want to rehash old battles with Eyesore, but I've stated this before, and I stand behind this statement. Joe Elliott will lump his band (he speaks for everyone) in with whatever genre is cool at the time. By the looks of things from this year alone, classic hard rock/metal is cool again in America. If this trend goes well into 2009 and beyond, I can't wait to hear some Joe Elliott sound bites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 12:37 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I can't wait to hear some Joe Elliott sound bites.
And people wonder why Blabbermouth is the TMZ or rock and metal.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25876

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I remember seeing this on cassette many moons ago. I've never owned or heard it though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 pm

I saw on vinyl at a store many many years ago and passed on it, I wish I hadn't now.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18944

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 am

I've never listened to it, but a friend of mine when I was in college had it on tape. He did a lot of trading and I'd say it got it in on a trade.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:07 am

A friend of mine had this on cassette back in the day. I remember it being rather good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - First Strike   Def Leppard - First Strike Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - First Strike
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: