Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bettie Page R.I.P.

Go down 
+6
GrandNational
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
mc666
Troublezone
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Yahoo news story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081212/ap_en_ce/obit_bettie_page

Bettie Page R.I.P. Bettie-first-favorite-photo-329x400

A true icon of the sexual revolution, dead at 85.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:34 am

I didn't even know she was alive to begin with. RIP
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 am

same here. i always assumed she died eons ago.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 am

R.I.P. - we'll have the great photos of her to remember her by (and she has said she wants t o be remembered)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 am

I just saw the film "The Notorious Bettie Page" on cable not long ago. Very interesting stuff, R.I.P.

Geek Trivia for ya, in the old "Rocketeer" comic book series the main character's girlfriend "Betty" (a dark-haired lingerie model) was created as an homage to Bettie Page. The writer/artist of the series, the late Dave Stevens, was a huge fan/collector of Bettie's vintage pinups and was one of the people who coaxed her out of her self-imposed exile in the 80s/90s and got her to do some autograph signings, interviews, and basically helped her capitalize on her fame a little.

When Disney turned "Rocketeer" into a movie, they hired Jennifer Connelly to play her (back when she was still smokin' hot, as opposed to today, when she looks like she needs to eat a sandwich...) and though the resemblance to Bettie remained, they changed the character's name to "Jenny" (presumably because of the real Bettie's somewhat sordid past...)

OK, I'm done being a geek now. As you were.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 am

I was saddened to hear this news. I've been a Bettie Page fan since I was just MetalTeen71. I've used her image in a few of my background pieces of graphics for work. Most recently, she was used in a promotional piece for Nine Inch Nails. The jet black hair, straight bangs and leopard bikini? Yowzaa!

My zipper will be at half-mast for the remainder of the day.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:04 pm

mc666 wrote:
same here. i always assumed she died eons ago.

Me three. I was surprised to hear this this morning on radio. I think she just left the spotlight and never appeared in public once she gave up her modeling career, and that's why we thought she was long gone.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Wow, she looks good for now. I can't imagine the....stir...she created back then when so much flesh/skin was rare.
Back to top Go down

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Jennifer Connelly to play her (back when she was still smokin' hot, as opposed to today, when she looks like she needs to eat a sandwich...)

I just saw The Day The Earth Stood Still this afternoon, while you're right that she is too skinny...I think she's getting more beautiful as she gets older.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:51 pm

I heard this news on the radio when I went to grab some dinner. I honestly did assume she had passed on already. Anyway, Rest In Peace, Betty.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:34 am

detuned wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Jennifer Connelly to play her (back when she was still smokin' hot, as opposed to today, when she looks like she needs to eat a sandwich...)

I just saw The Day The Earth Stood Still this afternoon, while you're right that she is too skinny...I think she's getting more beautiful as she gets older.

The face is more important to me than the body and I agree that she is pretty damn beautiful.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:48 am

DallasBlack wrote:
detuned wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

The face is more important to me than the body and I agree that she is pretty damn beautiful.

She is a good looking woman, but she needs some curves to be perfect!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

This is what I'm sayin'! If you've ever seen her in "The Rocketeer" or a late 80s comedy called "Career Opportunities," she was absolutely perfect back then... just the right amount of meat on them bones... now I'm like "Someone give her a damn sandwich!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 3:01 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

This is what I'm sayin'! If you've ever seen her in "The Rocketeer" or a late 80s comedy called "Career Opportunities," she was absolutely perfect back then... just the right amount of meat on them bones... now I'm like "Someone give her a damn sandwich!"

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 am

Agree about Connelly...beautiful face but way too scrawny.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 am

Required Fields wrote:

I stand corrected. Excuuuuse me, Mister IMDB. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bettie Page R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page R.I.P.   Bettie Page R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bettie Page R.I.P.
Page 1 of 1