Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wardog?

Go down 
+5
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Wardog? 4936Wardog? 4935

Any fans of this defunct Arizona band around here? (Ult, I was surprised to see no Wardog on NLTM; I'd have thought that this band would've been right up your alley!) I picked up SCORCHED EARTH ('96) for a couple of bucks at a used CD store (still sealed no less!) a few years ago on a whim, and it turned out to be some pretty cool power/thrash (let down by some occasionally silly lyrics). Wardog featured Tom Gattis on guitar/vox, who was once a bandmate of Marty Friedman's in his early band "Deuce" (Tom was also a member of "Tension," an early 80s band that I'm only dimly aware of). The album was released on Metal Blade as part of some kind of "developing artists" series but since metal was all but dead in the US the album presumably sold about ten copies at the time.

Second album A SOUND BEATING ('99) was only released in Europe (where Gattis still had a fan following from his Deuce/Tension days) and it was much more solid than the debut. Unfortunately, the band fell apart shortly after the album's release. Gattis resurfaced in a similar sounding band called "Ballistic" that put out one album on Metal Blade Europe in 2000 or so, but hasnt' been heard from since... I hear health problems have sidelined him the past few years.

Anyway, killer discs, y'all who have never heard'em oughta give'em a spin!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:15 pm

I have Scorched Earth. It's been awhile since I've played it, but from what I remember, I liked it pretty well. The one thing I remember is that it seemed a little unbalanced or unfocused. They had some thrashy songs, some barroom/bluesy drinking songs. They performed both styles well, but they didn't seem to mesh. Am I remembering that correctly?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I have Scorched Earth. It's been awhile since I've played it, but from what I remember, I liked it pretty well. The one thing I remember is that it seemed a little unbalanced or unfocused. They had some thrashy songs, some barroom/bluesy drinking songs. They performed both styles well, but they didn't seem to mesh. Am I remembering that correctly?

Yea, the first album does have some oddball moments (like the goofy tracks "Bucket O' Beer" "Damned") but the second album (A SOUND BEATING) is much more in-yo-face speed/power metal. Very cool stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:43 pm

I dont know why I listen to you and spend more money Smile Anyway,Amazon has a copy of Scorched Earth for a little over 2 bucks if anyones interested.

Edit-Half.com has a copy of Scorched Earth for 75 cents.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:55 pm

I loved TENSION, and this band was talented but I didn't enjoy their songs as much.

I liked BALLISTIC more than WARDOG.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Ballistic is damn good, I must admit... but for whatever reason I dont' seem to listen to it as much as I do these two... perhaps that'll get a spin tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it..

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:03 pm

I have both of those Wardog albums and have yet to add them to my site.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have both of those Wardog albums and have yet to add them to my site.

Cool... as I said, I was a little surprised that they weren't there already...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I loved TENSION, and this band was talented but I didn't enjoy their songs as much.

Is there some connection among these 3 bands?

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Is there some connection among these 3 bands?

Tom Gattis was a member of all of them.

I've got Scorched Earth. I enjoy giving it a spin every now and then. As previously stated, it is a bit uneven. The band can play each style well, but the album feels unfocused because the tracks don't flow seemlessly. I'll say, though, that the tune Killing Speed from that album blows my socks off every time!!

I need to get a copy of A Sound Beating, especially if it is a more focused release and stays pretty much speed/thrash centered.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 am

I met a few of these guys last year in Phoenix. James Rivera (Helstar, Seven Witches, Destiny's End, etc) does a side band called Sabbath Judas Sabbath and he does all Black Sabbath and Judas Priest covers. Anyways 3 of the dudes made up part of Sabbath Judas Sabbath for 2 shows. Cool dudes!

As far as Wardog, they were hit and miss as far as settling on a style and sound, but they were great at what they did on their instruments.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 am

I brought Scorched Earth into work with me this week and while I still dig it, I stand by my original statement. Mixing the 2 different styles makes the album seemed unfocused or something.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Been spinning A Sound Beating alot lately.Much better and more focused than Scorched Earth.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 pm

I have Scorched Earth got it for like $3.

Wargod49
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: debut   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 am

I own the self titled debut. This album seems to be very rare. But it is very good! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 am

tul wrote:
I own the self titled debut. This album seems to be very rare. But it is very good! 🤘

Yea, I have a CD-R of that album (it was self released by the band in '94 or so, and is indeed rare as hen's teeth)... good stuff, you gotta love a song called "C**t B*tch!" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wardog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wardog?   Wardog? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wardog?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: