Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Four years ago today

Go down 
+17
TheGooch
ultmetal
MetalRob331
manny
DallasBlack
tohostudios
the sentinel
XYZ
Lurideath
Troublezone
AngelRipper16
mc666
Addy
DeathCult
Schbopo
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Four years ago today - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Today is not very uplifting.
Sad

Welcome to winter and the holidays.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Sad

Well to brighten up a rather bleak day (my favorite store to buy metal CDs is shutting down on top of everything) I have some good news. After six years with an average of about 6-8 caffinated dirnks a day, I have had one week and four days without caffine.
cheers
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Well to brighten up a rather bleak day (my favorite store to buy metal CDs is shutting down on top of everything) I have some good news. After six years with an average of about 6-8 caffinated dirnks a day, I have had one week and four days without caffine.
cheers

Can you send us each a free Dr. Pepper in celebration? Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:31 pm

I am Pantera fan but I feel that their place in heavy metal history is overstated. Dimebag great guitartist, a tragic death and I don't mind paying tribute to him, but Pantera is not end all be all of metal bands.

But they deserve respect, unit Slipknot came along they were most extreme and heaviest band to hit #1 on Billboard Charts and this took place at a time when heavy metal was considered commerically dead.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:37 pm

RIP DIME.. What Dime did to the metal world won't be forgotten.

also 28 years ago to this day John Lennon was shot dead..
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I have never been a big Pantera fan, but the whole ordeal is quite sad. Sad

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Yea, I'm not a big Pantera guy either but nobody deserves to go out like that.

Every time his death anniversary rolls around I end up thinking about my Uncle Vincent, who actually passed away the day before Dimebag. I remember hearing the news about Dimebag on TV that morning as I was packing up my bag of stuff in preparation for driving three hours to my Uncle's wake and funeral, and thought to myself "Wow, that sucks, but I got my own problems"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 pm

I also feel that Pantera (and Dimebag's guitar playing) are overrated...but what happened to him was horrible and his memory should be treated with some respect (IMO). I'm sure his friends and family miss him...

Four years ago today - Page 2 Dimedug-1

Dime and dUg
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm

lol! The King's X hat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Schbopo wrote:
lol! The King's X hat.

Not a joke, Dime & Vinnie were huge King's X fans and I saw and talked to both of them at a King's X show in Dallas in 2003.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 12:30 am

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Why do you act like such a bitter ass these days?
These days? You've "Known" me over a year. I have always been this way.
No, at one time you came off like you were just clowning around. Now you act like a forum troll, just posting stuff like that to get a rise out of people.

Maybe I misread you before, but I just don't think you've been acting the same way the entire time.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:25 am

It was a tragic event but these days it seems like a lot of people go way way over the top about remebering dimebag and it's just not needed. Rip
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:57 am

detuned wrote:
I also feel that Pantera (and Dimebag's guitar playing) are overrated...but what happened to him was horrible and his memory should be treated with some respect (IMO). I'm sure his friends and family miss him...

Four years ago today - Page 2 Dimedug-1

Dime and dUg

I don't know about overrated. His playing influenced a lot of peope and at the time he was bringing metal to the mainstream with Pantera. Songs like Cowboys from Hell, Cemetery Gates, Hollow, I'm Broken, 5 Minutes Alone, and Floods just to name a few have some of the best riffs in Metal imo. His solos as well were not only creative on his later cds like FBD and RTS but on his older ones were amazing. They were melodic, technical, and just brilliant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 am

Eyesore wrote:

No, at one time you came off like you were just clowning around. Now you act like a forum troll, just posting stuff like that to get a rise out of people.

Maybe I misread you before, but I just don't think you've been acting the same way the entire time.

No, I've been the same. You, however, may have changed. I've always thought Dimebag was just another drug addict that has been put on a pedestal because he was killed. Big deal, unsung heroes get killed everyday with no fanfare whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:50 am

Id forgotten about Lennon being shot

Quote :
I've always thought Dimebag was just another drug addict that has been put on a pedestal because he was killed.

I agree
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 am

I don't think Spec has changed, he has always thought Dimebag was overrated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 1:30 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

No, I've been the same. You, however, may have changed. I've always thought Dimebag was just another drug addict that has been put on a pedestal because he was killed. Big deal, unsung heroes get killed everyday with no fanfare whatsoever.
Sure, I've changed. I've gotten sick of the childish drama here.

As for Dimebag, you don't have to care if he was killed. If I don't know someone, I don't care. Simple as that. But I also don't go around a forum dropping explosive sh*tbombs to get people all riled up, either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

I have alot of respect for Dimebag even before he was murdered. I felt he wrote great riffs and had some great guitar solos. I felt that Pantera's lyrics at times where crap, but than Phil never claimed to be Dylan Thomas.

I also like the fact that Dimebag was a music fan and he remained a fanboy right to the very end. He never forgot what it was like to be fan. I saw him on VH1 years ago on greatest hard rock bands of all time special, singing Foreigner's praises. I never met him but my friend Steve did, when Dimebag was touring with Damageplan and he treated Steve like he was long lost buddy.

Great musician, tragic loss due to some sick bastard.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:22 pm

manny wrote:
I have alot of respect for Dimebag even before he was murdered. I felt he wrote great riffs and had some great guitar solos. I felt that Pantera's lyrics at times where crap, but than Phil never claimed to be Dylan Thomas.

I also like the fact that Dimebag was a music fan and he remained a fanboy right to the very end. He never forgot what it was like to be fan. I saw him on VH1 years ago on greatest hard rock bands of all time special, singing Foreigner's praises. I never met him but my friend Steve did, when Dimebag was touring with Damageplan and he treated Steve like he was long lost buddy.

Great musician, tragic loss due to some sick bastard.

Manny you hit the nail on the head with everything you just said. Regardless of the fact of how people felt about him as a guitarist, the guy was a great ambassador for "Heavy Metal". I will use a college basketball analogy. There are plenty out there who hate Dick Vitale as an announcer, but where you can't sell this guy short is how he has sold the game to the American public. He helped a fledgling network in that of ESPN, and was a big reason why there are usually games on 4/5 nights out of the week.

Dimebag was the same way. If there was a VH1 list of whatever regarding metal/rock bands, you could usually find Dime and Vinnie talking about their love affair with that musician/group. I've also never heard anyone say that when they met the man that they were ever treated badly, or that Dime didn't take the time out to partake in a conversation that unfortunately many in the industry would've just walked away from. Musicians tend to be a mixed bag in regards to their giving back to the fans, Dime however always seemed fairly gracious. So, to disparage the man's name on the day he died, well it's just wrong.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:52 pm

spectrefate wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

cheers

Can you send us each a free Dr. Pepper in celebration? Smile

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Dime was a friend & an all around great person. I would have been proud to know him whether he was a famous musician or a bum in the gutter. What happened to him was just WRONG. I'm going to the KX show in DFW & it wont be the same without seeing him there.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:29 pm

shame to fans Sad
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:22 pm

detuned wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
lol! The King's X hat.

Not a joke, Dime & Vinnie were huge King's X fans and I saw and talked to both of them at a King's X show in Dallas in 2003.

I know it's not a joke. Very Happy

Just found that amusing for some reason.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Sad

it has been a depressing and negative day. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Quote :
Sure, I've changed. I've gotten sick of the childish drama here.

As for Dimebag, you don't have to care if he was killed. If I don't know someone, I don't care. Simple as that. But I also don't go around a forum dropping explosive sh*tbombs to get people all riled up, either.

You are the only one complaining, as has been the usual for about the last 2 months. "Remember when this board used to be about intelligent music conversation?" Move along.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Four years ago today   Four years ago today - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Four years ago today
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next