Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Showdown

Go down 
+13
7thSecond
MetalRob331
Tall Tyrion
DallasBlack
Todd Jaymz
Troublezone
candlemass
mc666
arttieTHE1manparty
Rex
ultmetal
AchrisK
HLIM9
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HLIM9
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Greetings all. New here, lurking "The Discography" for some time now...
Wanted to share a band I have recently discovered. Check 'em out;

"The Showdown".

2 releases :

Chorus of Obliteration -I think many here will like this one...Hardcore Metal, double bass rockin!

Temptation Come My Way - My preference, Awesome, more old school (like me...grew up rockin' in the 80's)

I am truly surprised on my search here nothing came up.

Check 'em out, you WILL NOT be dissapointed.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 7:39 pm

I just recently got the second one. I have not opened it yet. I am curious about them, but I fear they will be "modern american metal". In other words, that swedish melodic dm mixed with hardcore thing that is so popular these days.

ack
Back to top Go down

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 8:44 am

Never heard the first one...I really like the new one. Like a blend of C.O.C., Down, a dash of In Flames & good ol' fashioned Metal!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 8:49 am

I like the cover on the first one. Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 11:24 am

AchrisK wrote:
I just recently got the second one. I have not opened it yet. I am curious about them, but I fear they will be "modern american metal". In other words, that swedish melodic dm mixed with hardcore thing that is so popular these days.

ack

The first album...yes
The second album...no
Back to top Go down
HLIM9
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 9:43 pm

I like this cd the more I listen to it, (second one) I don't want to mislead anyone though, they are Christian.

Awesome to glorify Him rockin' like this!

Last edited by on Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 10:50 pm

I need to find that second one... Maybe on my trip this weekend to Kansas City...

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 am

Love both albums. Got the new one the day it came out, glad I did.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 am

not my cup of tea...

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 8:00 am

I'm really diggin' what I've heard from the new one, lot of stuff out there I want to get, however, I'm putting a freeze on non -essential spending 'till Cornerstone!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 2:27 pm

OK, I am checking out their second release now. This is definitely not my thing. Yeah, it is much more old school metal I guess, with a slight modern edge to the sound. But this is the type of "metal" that I have never liked.

I'll let me wife and son check it out. If they don't like it I will be willing to trade it (Arttie?).

ack
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Man, I had to shut it off. I hate that kinda stuff.

ack
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 8:34 am

They do remind me of COC but the singer kinda sucks. He's deffinately the weak link.
Back to top Go down

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 8:10 am

I heard a similar band recently--I got sent a review copy of a band called "War Of Ages." It's been sitting in the pile for a while now, but I finally gave it a chance.

I was impressed by the musicianship, but it sounds like there is a really great metal band struggling to break free from all the trendy "modern" conventions. There was a lot of cool parts, but a series of cool parts do not make a song, sadly. That is the ultimate issue with metalcore: there are great sections, but rarely great songs.

)+(
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Like the cd, kind of a down home heavy rock release, kinda in the same vein as Black Stone Cherry-TJ
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 9:15 am

My origional candidate for album of the year (until I got Nightwish's new one). Listened to it last night and I still love it. I personally have no problem with the vocalist at all and think he does a great job. The sound, to me, is like COC meets Ratt, meets Lynard Skynard. The guitarist shreds like there is no tomarrow and the riffs are fantastic. I still hear people use metalcore to describe these guys but apart from one song, I just don't get it. The first album was metalcore but the new one is actually catchy and memorable (two traits that metalcore misses the mark on, that and guitar solos).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 11:03 am

Liked the music on the first album, but not the vocal style.

Temptation Come My Way is a great metal album, in my book! Yes, it does have a modern touch, but these are kids after all. They're not going to make a Metal Church album.

I think it has a lot more going for it than most modern metal bands. The heaviness comes from real RIFFS, not just downtuning, and the solos are very well done. I think the singer is very good. Love the cleaner tones he uses on this album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 11:56 pm

loved both cd even though i much prefer Temptation over Chorus for the fact im not a big metalcore fan and hate terrible scream vocals.. I really dug the cover of the kansas classic Carry on my Wayward son, and fav track on new cd would have to be Fanatics and Whores

This cd really reminds me of something Fight would put out. Cd would kill with Halford on it lol
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 10:28 pm

STIGMATADOR wrote:
I heard a similar band recently--I got sent a review copy of a band called "War Of Ages." It's been sitting in the pile for a while now, but I finally gave it a chance.

I was impressed by the musicianship, but it sounds like there is a really great metal band struggling to break free from all the trendy "modern" conventions. There was a lot of cool parts, but a series of cool parts do not make a song, sadly. That is the ultimate issue with metalcore: there are great sections, but rarely great songs.

)+(
I have them both and The Showdown and War Of Ages sound NOTHING alike. Two totally different styles of music.
Back to top Go down

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 11:48 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
My origional candidate for album of the year (until I got Nightwish's new one). Listened to it last night and I still love it. I personally have no problem with the vocalist at all and think he does a great job. The sound, to me, is like COC meets Ratt, meets Lynard Skynard. The guitarist shreds like there is no tomarrow and the riffs are fantastic. I still hear people use metalcore to describe these guys but apart from one song, I just don't get it. The first album was metalcore but the new one is actually catchy and memorable (two traits that metalcore misses the mark on, that and guitar solos).

I'm finding I'm agreeing more and more with you Dallas, so based on your recommend - I'll look into their second one.

I feel the same way about Shadows Fall (regarding how you described these guys being called metalcore, just because they 'used' to be). COC meets Ratt immediately grabs my attention. Perhaps I'll track down a copy at my local store shortly here.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 1:50 am

blackieboy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I'm finding I'm agreeing more and more with you Dallas, so based on your recommend - I'll look into their second one.

I feel the same way about Shadows Fall (regarding how you described these guys being called metalcore, just because they 'used' to be). COC meets Ratt immediately grabs my attention. Perhaps I'll track down a copy at my local store shortly here.

Quite a few of the songs start off sounding like Ratt songs to my ears (however, any other band that played music similar to Ratt would be a good comparison, Ratt is just the one that comes to my mind) apart from that, don't expect a heavy dose of Ratt. Don't let that stop you from checking them out, I just mention that so I don't give you the wrong impression of them. The title track is almost a dead on impression of Deliverance era COC (with slight differences). These guys sound is hard to pinpoint for me because no other band is doing what they're doing. They have 80s style riffs and 90s/modern style heaviness, all with a southern rock flavor My biggest appeal with Temptation Come My Way is the melody, riffs, and guitar solos which are in abundance. These young guys are definatly the best modern metal band around right now and as long as they stick with this sound I will remain a fan. Sadly I don't think many of the other metalcore bands even have it in them to make music like The Showdown.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 2:52 am

Thanks for the rundown.

Happy
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 10:57 am

The Showdown
I've been checking these guys out and I'm a bit cornfused. WTH are they?

I hear some southern rock influence, heavy metal but then a Nickelback/Godsmack sound too. I don't know if I like them or don't care for them. Leaning towards the latter.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 pm

I like 'em. The second disc is pretty damn good and at least he sings not screams/grovels or gurgles !!

A fun listen with a lot of hooks..
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Liked the music on the first album, but not the vocal style.

Temptation Come My Way is a great metal album, in my book! Yes, it does have a modern touch, but these are kids after all. They're not going to make a Metal Church album.

I think it has a lot more going for it than most modern metal bands. The heaviness comes from real RIFFS, not just downtuning, and the solos are very well done. I think the singer is very good. Love the cleaner tones he uses on this album.

agree !
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

The Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Showdown   The Showdown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Showdown
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next