Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell

Go down 
+9
candlemass
Mglaffas81
Lurideath
Troublezone
sam
Rex
Thrasher73
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Empty
PostSubject: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am

http://teethofthedivine.com/site/reviews/once-dead-visions-of-hell/

ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell 505193
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:44 am

Really Shawn, a new thread? Smile

I'm gonna go read this review.

EDIT: Ok I read it. Very simple and to the point. Good job!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:49 am

It's a review in the review section...perfectly legit.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:57 am

Good, fair review.

Quote :
whet

Glad to see this word properly used and spelled! 🤘 cheers
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 am

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/oncedead.htm#visions

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm

I like this alot better than I expected.The vocals are similar to Lamb of God but He kinda changes it up enough to keep my interest.The snare drum that some have mentioned doesnt bother me at all.It reminds me of the "trappy" sound that VR had on Once Dead.The songwriting and guitar work really stand out and make this an enjoyable disc for me.Kudos to Glenn for the great riffs and lead work.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 am

I'm hoping that the rumor of a proper remaster and some additional songs is true. :bangyerhead:

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:42 am

I hope a proper print job is done as well. Where did you hear this rumor?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'm hoping that the rumor of a proper remaster and some additional songs is true. :bangyerhead:

sweet, that's the only thing that drags it down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm

ultmetal wrote:

That does sound good.Is it a reliable source?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17147

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Unfortunately i have not listened to the cd much since i got it.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Well here's the review I did on it for a magazine I write for.

Once Dead – Visions of Hell
Open Grave Records
(2008)

Once Dead is the band put together by former Vengeance Rising members as a way of reforming, but due to legal constraints, they couldn’t use the name Vengeance Rising and opted for the bands 2nd album title as their new name.

This album has had almost 2 years in the making but was delayed in that fact due to member changes. I have been a fan of the 1st 2 Vengeance Rising albums since they were released back in the late 80’s so I was anxious to see what these former members could come up with.

The music on “Visions of Hell” is very good. There are a lot of great riffs courtesy of Mr. Glenn Rogers (also of Hirax) and Doug Theime. The riffs are heavy just like they were in the old days and even has a lot of catchy hooks that they were also known for. The bass supplied by Angelo Espino (ex-Reverend/ex-Hirax) really keeps the low end of the musical spectrum tight and punishing. Angelo is no slacker though! His playing has always stood out just as it does here.

When it comes to the drumming, the snare is complete garbage. Not sure what they were thinking when recording this, but it is unacceptable! It seriously sounds like a metal garbage can lid just as that on Metallica’s lame album “St Anger”. The beats and fills are damn good though and Jim Chaffin (Fasedown/The Crucified) hasn’t lost anything in all these years.

The vocalist also doesn’t fit either. Devin Shaeffer is the guy who I can blame for destroying this band and it’s legacy because I am NOT a fan of metal-core vocals whatsoever! I hate his other band Fasedown so I automatically knew I’d not like this aspect of the band just by that aspect. It is like he’s trying to be a tough guy but is either trying too hard or just has no control over his voice. I’m trying to figure out though why most of these metal-core type singers keep trying to imitate Phil Anselmo but yet fail at it..

If not for the vocalist and that snare drum being let down points, this album would be a classic. When you hear the songs like “Devotion”, “The Contract”, “Visions of Hell” and “Grave Diggers- The Forgotten Genocide”, the old Vengeance Rising feeling comes back in the music like it should have been on one of the 1st 2 albums.

All in all, its not bad, but its not great.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:19 pm

I agree 100%, especially the vocals. I could deal with the drums but the vocals killed the classic feel.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 9:05 am

I listened to some tracks off of it, and my opinion is no different than Lurideath's or Troublezone's - Those vocals suck! Why didn't Scott sing on this album? Who honestly thought this guy was better? sick
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 3:38 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

That does sound good.Is it a reliable source?

Yes. Doesn't mean it will actually happen though. As far as I know it was just being discussed.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:25 pm

I have no issues w/this lp, very good. Production? C'mon, this is thrash metal! 🤘 lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am

candlemass wrote:
I have no issues w/this lp, very good. Production? C'mon, this is thrash metal! 🤘 lol!

What thrash is supposed to sound like crap? I hate when people think thrash doesn't deserve a proper production.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Curious.

Has anyone listened to this more than a couple of times? I actually forgot about this album. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:27 pm

A couple is about all I gave it too.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm

I've listened to it quite a bit. It calls me back. That's when I know something appeals to me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I've listened to it quite a bit. It calls me back. That's when I know something appeals to me.

"Deep Fried Man" calls me back...
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

lol!

all the death metal and goregrind bands are shaking their heads and wondering how they missed this title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 3:17 am

I'm listening to the tracks on their myspace. When the singer came on I didn't think LoG, I thought Billy Milano.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 7:48 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Curious.

Has anyone listened to this more than a couple of times? I actually forgot about this album. Sad

Same here. I had no desire to listen to it after a few spins. I don't hate it or anything but it's not very memorable, especially after all the fuss that went into it and the long wait... Like i said in the beginning, the singer kinda kills the overall sound. I don't want to trade it or anything so i should try harder to look past the singer and focus on the music more. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 7:57 pm

Quote :

I swear that's how it sounds. Should have been the title!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell   ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ONCE DEAD - Visions Of Hell
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next