Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest

Go down 
+7
Metal Misfit
HellRaiser
arttieTHE1manparty
rattpoison
skullsmasher
manny
akeldama
11 posters
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Empty
PostSubject: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Any fans?
Whaddaya think of these bands?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Roxx Gang are from Tampa, and I used to see them in various rock clubs in the late 80's early 90's, the hair metal club of choice over here during that time period was the Rocket Club. Very fun sleezy band but I was disappointed with their only album "Things You've Never Done Before" , live those guys sounded like a mixture of The New York Dolls, Aerosmith with a little Jim Carroll thrown in. Their album sounded like it could have been any other hair band.

Kevin Steele has a new band called Mojo Gurus which is very cool and sound like the New York Dolls while dressed in drift store gypsy clothing, also very cool guys who play their blues inspired music with their hearts, completely different than Roxx Gang but they do a country fried version of "Red Rose"
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 pm

manny wrote:
Roxx Gang are from Tampa, and I used to see them in various rock clubs in the late 80's early 90's, the hair metal club of choice over here during that time period was the Rocket Club. Very fun sleezy band but I was disappointed with their only album "Things You've Never Done Before" , live those guys sounded like a mixture of The New York Dolls, Aerosmith with a little Jim Carroll thrown in. Their album sounded like it could have been any other hair band.

Kevin Steele has a new band called Mojo Gurus which is very cool and sound like the New York Dolls while dressed in drift store gypsy clothing, also very cool guys who play their blues inspired music with their hearts, completely different than Roxx Gang but they do a country fried version of "Red Rose"

Roxx Gang has 5 or 6 albums. I have the first 3 and I think they're all ok. I rarely give 'em a spin.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:17 pm

I should have written only album on a major label.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 pm

manny wrote:
I should have written only album on a major label.

Ah,gotcha. BTW I've only heard of the Mojo Gurus but never gave them a listen.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Here's a clip from Roxx Gang that was popular here in Tampa in the early 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRQJ_P632o
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 pm

I have a few of their CDs, I believe they are still available through Perris records. Mojo Gurus are pretty cool too but as mentioned above very different than Roxx Gang.

I haven't heard the other two bands
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:17 pm

manny wrote:
......a little Jim Carroll thrown in. Their album sounded like it could have been any other hair band....

Roxx Gang and Jim Carroll (I'm a huge JCB fan) isn't something i usually think of in the same sentance but i'm intrigued because i thought Roxx Gang were horrible....they seemed to make you wanna believe they came from the whole Alice/Dolls 70's rock n' roll camp but they wrote and played the exact same dumb "Kiss without Ace" songs as their left coast peers, they were like Tuff without the Journey ballads but equally as bad.

And is it my imagination or am i hearing the opening riff of the Dictators "Minnesota Strip" at the start of "No Easy Way Out".
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Roxx Gang is very good. LOVED them back in the day, and still pull out a couple of their discs. I strongly dislike Mojo Gurus, however.

D'Priest (formerly known as London) was a solid band with a lot of talent, in my opinion. Playa Del Rock was a very good album which I still play. I have both versions of that album (London and D'Priest).

Freight Train Jane is pretty hard to come by, but they had talent also. Just never caught any breaks. I am only aware of one release and a demo by them, is that correct?

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:36 am

For Roxx Gang, I only have 'Things You've Never Done Before' and it never did anythimg for me, so I've never bothered to check them out beyond that. I have a vinyl rip of London's 'Non-Stop Rock' and love it - would love to actually get that on CD, but I don't think it exists. Never heard anything past that though.

I've heard of Freight Train Jane, but never actually heard them, nor do I know anything about them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 11:05 am

rattpoison wrote:
manny wrote:
......a little Jim Carroll thrown in. Their album sounded like it could have been any other hair band....

Roxx Gang and Jim Carroll (I'm a huge JCB fan) isn't something i usually think of in the same sentance but i'm intrigued because i thought Roxx Gang were horrible....they seemed to make you wanna believe they came from the whole Alice/Dolls 70's rock n' roll camp but they wrote and played the exact same dumb "Kiss without Ace" songs as their left coast peers, they were like Tuff without the Journey ballads but equally as bad.

And is it my imagination or am i hearing the opening riff of the Dictators "Minnesota Strip" at the start of "No Easy Way Out".

No that is not your imagination, as matter fact Roxx Gang are huge Dictator's fans, also Kevin Steele in Roxx Gang used to do a few cover songs in their set, one being "People Who Died". When I saw Mojo Gurus he and I reconnected and talked about music over a few brews at this local dive " RocknHard Cafe" about 18 months ago, during their set they blasted "People Who Died", " Personailty Crisis" and some off the Dictators Blood Brothers LP, but I can't remember. Rattpoison I would not recommend their CD as I stated before it didnot sound like them live, it could have been any number of hair metal bands from that era.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 4:00 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
Roxx Gang is very good. LOVED them back in the day, and still pull out a couple of their discs. I strongly dislike Mojo Gurus, however.

D'Priest (formerly known as London) was a solid band with a lot of talent, in my opinion. Playa Del Rock was a very good album which I still play. I have both versions of that album (London and D'Priest).

Freight Train Jane is pretty hard to come by, but they had talent also. Just never caught any breaks. I am only aware of one release and a demo by them, is that correct?

Arttie

Hallucination is the only FTJ I've ever seen/owned.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Yeah, that's the CD I have. For those that don't know, Freight Train Jane was Jamie St. James' band after Black N Blue broke up. They were just the wrong type of band for the time/scene, coming out in 93 or 94.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Roxx Gang's Things You've Never Done Before is very good. Never heard anything else from them. You can get it cheap and new online from Wounded Bird Records or CDUniverse.com.

Never heard of Freight Train Jane, and I've heard of D'Priest, but I don't think I've ever listened to them.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 1:40 am

Yeah, that's the CD I have. For those that don't know, Freight Train Jane was Jamie St. James' band after Black N Blue broke up. They were just the wrong type of band for the time/scene, coming out in 93 or 94.

Arttie

When I saw them, Tommy Bolin who played on Warlock's Triumph and Agony was guitar slinger.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:45 am

Hmmmm....I'll have to pull the CD and check who played guitar on it.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:54 pm

I love LONDON, ROXX GANG debut album but dont know about FREIGHT TRAIN JANE.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 am

I remember my old roommate had D'Priest's Playa del Rock cd and I had made a tape copy of it. If I recall correctly, it had a version of Russian Winter on it, the song London played in the Decline movie, which is probably the only reason he bought it in the first place. My taped copy was tossed years ago. I don't really remember anything outstanding about it. lead singer Nadir D'Priest went on to sing for Steel Prophet, but I think he only lasted for one album, Beware.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm

James B. wrote:

Arttie

When I saw them, Tommy Bolin who played on Warlock's Triumph and Agony was guitar slinger.

Tommy Bolin?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:45 pm

akeldama wrote:
James B. wrote:

Arttie

Tommy Bolin?

I mean Tommy Bolan
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 1:04 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
If I recall correctly, it had a version of Russian Winter on it, the song London played in the Decline movie, which is probably the only reason he bought it in the first place.

Yep, it is track 2....

Arttie
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 7:48 am

Combat records had a band in 1985 SWEET PAIN. Roxx Gang singer sounds quite similar.
Just bought “ Things You’ve Never “ CD. It’s great. Has an LA Gunns vibe.
Sleazy. Somewhat somber. Pretty Boy Floyd. The Almighty.
“ Red Rose “. Tremendous. “ Too Cool For School “. Rowdy. “ No Easy Way Out “. Cool.

Love London. They have a concert live CD. Killer version of “ Drop The Bomb “.
Glad they were in that Decline...movie. Party ambience. Beer. Whiskey shots. Chicks.

Looked up Freight Train Jane. Expensive Cd ! Over 40 bucks.
Black and Blue were great. Many rocking songs by them.
Never followed the singer to other band projects. I might. Suggestions ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest   Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roxx Gang,Freight Train Jane,D'Priest
Page 1 of 1