Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ross the Boss

Go down 
+11
Dave the Boss
Metallic Blaze
7thSaviour
kmorg
Lurideath
powermacho
Lari
sam
exact33
Mglaffas81
manny
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 pm

I have been a causal fan of Manowar for a few years, and found this recent interview with Ross the Boss, speaking about his new solo album, new band, and of course his own musical history:

Ross the Boss Ross%20the%20boss
Ross Friedman – aka Ross The Boss – arrived in 1973 as a member of New York punk pioneers The Dictators. But besides spells as the guitarist of Shakin’ Street, Manitoba’s Wild Kingdom, The Pack, The Spinatras and the Brain Surgeons, Friedman will always be known for co-founding – and being sacked by – metal warriors Manowar. Now, with the help of a German tribute band called Men Of War, twenty years after that dismissal, Ross The Boss seeks revenge…
INTERVIEW: DAVE LING
After being a part of so many different and varied bands, the focus is on you at last.
After Kings Of Metal [1988, the last Manowar album to feature Ross The Boss] I always wanted to make another true metal record. It took me a long time to figure out that direction. Metal is so factionalised these days. I just needed the right bunch of guys and the right situation.
Does it seem strange to have hooked up with a Manowar tribute band?
It does. But they have their own careers; they have a band called Ivory Night that’s on its fourth or fifth record, so they’re schooled musicians. It just so happened that they sent a tape to a promoter that wanted me to do a night of old Manowar material.
And the first time you heard them play, your expectations were exceeded?
Yes, very much so. They’re not babies. They grew up listening to my music, and the music of people like me.
After Manowar famously committed to Megaforce Records in their own blood for the Into Glory Ride album, how was the contract with AFM Records signed?
We used ink this time [chuckles]. So far they’re doing a good job for us; the label is run by metalheads, they’re very dedicated. Everything they said they’d do for us, they’ve done. Then again, everything I said I’d do for them, I did it.
Your album’s title of New Metal Leader isn’t exactly modest?
No. But I love that. And in these days of shrinking record sales it’s getting me a lot of attention. Do people consider me a leader in this sort of music? And did I help to start the genre of power-metal? To both of those questions, the answer is ‘yes’.
And is it new?
[Laughing]: Well, the band is new, but I’m old. But, truthfully, the whole thing about this band is one-upping Manowar.
Well, the sticker on the sleeve – 'The best Manowar album since Kings Of Metal' – looks suspiciously like a gauntlet being thrown down.
That quote came from a review, not from me. But listen, I could’ve done this 20 years ago after being dismissed from the band.
So it’s all about payback?
You could say that, yeah. I pull all of this down for a while – I kept myself very busy in a musical sense, and I concentrated on being a good father – but it’s about reclaiming a little of what’s mine.
Has there been any feedback from Joey DeMaio and company?
Not a word. And the silence is deafening.
I wouldn’t like to have been in the room when DeMaio saw that sticker.
[Laughs]: No. You know Joey, right? But here’s the thing. We were partners when we started Manowar. But as the years went by he became so over-the-top; he took over the band. Then it was, ‘Ross, it’s time to go’. I’m hoping to bring some street credibility [back] to Manowar.
That’s a bold statement.
Well, it’s true. There was all that stuff; ‘death to false metal’, “we’re loudest band in the world”, “nobody wants us to open for them”. And look what happened. No-one did. No-one let us. And who suffered? Us, that’s who. I wanted to look at all of that and say something new.
Back in 2005 you played with Manowar again for the first time in 17 years, at Germany’s Earthshaker Festival. That must’ve been emotional?
Oh, it was. There was also a fan festival three days beforehand. I was truly touched but when a grown man falls to his knees and kisses your hand, you just wanna say, ‘C’mon, get up, I’m not The Pope’.
During the encore there were three drummers and three guitarists on stage?
It was loud, believe me. I felt good for Donnie [Hamzik, original Manowar drummer], who kinda stole the show. Like me, he’d gotten the raw end of it all, too.
Did Manowar offer you the chance to rejoin?
Never.
If they did, would you entertain the idea?
No. The past is the past. I know Joey and it could never work.
But isn’t going back to the past what you’re doing with this album and band?
People will see the album cover [of an eagle wielding a hammer whilst battling hordes of armoured warriors] and the logo, so I know what you’re saying. This isn’t Manowar, and I want to make that clear, but I want my fans to know what kind of an album it is. As a grown man I know that to some this will be seen as kind of juvenile, but it’s all about metallic symbolism. What would you expect if Kerry King [of Slayer] made a solo record?
Whilst talking of reunions, you seemed to be enjoying yourself with Shakin’ Street at Sweden Rock this summer?
[Non-commitally]: Yeah. I love Fabienne [Shine, singer], but they’re such an odd band to work with. We did a reunion in Paris for years ago with Nono from Trust [as second guitarist]. I wanted to make a record but nothing happened.
Fabienne’s still pretty sexy. She still wears the leather.
She is, and she does. She’s a great girl. But four years later I get a call from them to go in and do a record. I was in the middle of my metal comeback record. I was like, ‘Do you know who bad your timing is? Where were you four years ago?’ So I’m on about six tracks of their record, but I don’t think I can tour with them.
What’s going on with the Dictators?
We’re just about to do four shows in Spain, but the band is heading towards another hiatus. After that, nothing is planned.
Obviously, the priority is your own band. When will there be some UK gigs?
To be completely honest, when the record company heard that Classic Rock wanted to speak to us, they couldn’t believe it. I’m told it was the first interview they’d gotten from an English magazine. So if we can get some press going, we’ll definitely come over and play. As everyone knows the UK is such a difficult territory for a band like us, but we’ve got very aggressive management, so it would be great to make that happen early next year.
To be fair, Manowar are in the same boat. We keep seeing footage of them headlining to enormous crowds on the continent, but the last time they played Britain, in 1994, their London show was at the Marquee Club.
My explanation for that is that English-speaking audiences just don’t like them. They can understand what they’re saying… I dunno [voice trails off]. We had a pretty big buzz in England at the start, but somehow it frittered away.
So what can you tell us about your band’s live show?
We’ll play the whole [Ross The Boss] record, every single song. But there will be some of my Manowar classics in there; Gloves Of Metal one night, The Secret Of Steel on another. Also something like Hail And Kill – the ones that people want to hear. There might also be others, but this is not a Manowar show. We may even include Johnny B Goode [by Chuck Berry], who knows? We’re all fans of rock ‘n’ roll.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Great! Ross the Boss almost NEVER gets mentioned, and he is certainly a very under rated guitarist. Nice Interview!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Just got this cd and it smokes!! The above interview spoke about out-doing Manowar and he was sure right!! I am only one listen through and this thing is all the good things about Manowar and none of the orchestration and spoken stuff. This is pure heavy metal!

Alex

sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:42 pm

thanks for the interview, will def need to check this disc out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 pm

The Ross the Boss album is totally killer. I love his guitar tone. There are some Manowar-ish elements which is cool, but this album is its own album. Even casual Manowar fans will find this appaealing, IMO.
Back to top Go down

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Will have to put this on the list. Good to see him getting some mention.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Saw him/them live in the summer. Not bad, I guess, but didn't blow me away either.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 6:26 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
The Ross the Boss album is totally killer. I love his guitar tone. There are some Manowar-ish elements which is cool, but this album is its own album. Even casual Manowar fans will find this appaealing, IMO.

I think it is one of the better metal cds released lately. I spin this one quite frequently..

Alex

powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 am

I just found out about this band on the net. I have to buy this album immediately. I will talk to some friends to see if I can to to see them on Brooklyn this year
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Instead of going to Brooklyn, why don't you go to THIS?

Ross the Boss 245ka4h
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Instead of going to Brooklyn, why don't you go to THIS?

Ross the Boss 245ka4h

Wow, what a line-up? They actually got Kreyson over there? Cool!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah man! Never heard them before but it will be interesting to see.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 pm

MB and myself are major RTB fans! New Metal leader 9.5/10
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

7thSaviour wrote:

you can count me in as well. This slays anything manowar has done in a long time!

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 am

Yep! The new Ross the Boss album is quite good! If you are into traditional styled heavy metal, you really need this one.

Lurid, where was that True Metal America Fest? I had no idea about that.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 am

I love that guy (hence my name here on HoM, haha). Manowar has never quite been the same without Ross, and imo the Ross the Boss disc complete destroys anything Manowar have done since he left.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 pm

exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

you can count me in as well. This slays anything manowar has done in a long time!
Yeah, for sure. I haven't been a fan of the recent Manowar offerings.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 am

The newest Manowar EP rules though!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 am

7thSaviour wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

me too. man-o-opera is kinda boring these days...

Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 am

exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

Definitely... The last decent Manowar album was The Triumph of Steel imo.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

they lost me a long time ago. I still listen to the new material in hopes it is a return to the stuff that made them great but havent bought a cd of theirs in awhile.

Alex

7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:
exact33 wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

Yeah, Louder Than Hell and TTOS were both great!
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the postings guys. Now this old metalhead is a little bit more knowledgeable and a tiny bit less ignorant. I just like my music folks, and really know very little about the scene, what albums were put out when, who was or is in what band etc. Ross the Boss Icon_lol Except for the major players I suppose. Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:02 pm

I actually want to get the first 4 manowar albums.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Get Manowar's latest EP. It's great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ross the Boss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross the Boss   Ross the Boss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ross the Boss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next