Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Y&T anyone?

Go down 
+10
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
Shiney
krokus
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
mc666
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
ultmetal
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 10:26 am

Y&T anyone? Any fans? Favorites?

:metal:
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 10:33 am

youve probably heard this before but the first time I heard Y&T's Black Tiger album in 1981 I thought it was Sammy Hagar. I liked them back in the day when they were heavy metal/hard rock and then they kinda lamed out around 1986 or so IMO, they went commercial-ish(see:Krokus) and I lost track of anything they did after that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 10:36 am

The only cd I have is a compilation cd, The Ultimate Collection or something like that. I like the older songs (ie Mean Streak), but their later stuff (ie Summertime Girls) sounds too watered-down & pop-oriented. Overall, not bad, but nothing that made me want to rush out and buy anything else.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 10:37 am

Yes, I too thought he sounded like Hagar.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am

i never cared for this band. they just didn't appeal to me.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 12:15 pm

I like these guys' early stuff quite a bit. Many great songs! I've lost interest in them though because they just haven't been the same.

Black Tiger, Meanstreak, Rescue Me, and Forever are all amazing tunes!
Back to top Go down

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 12:31 pm

"In Rock We Trust" is a classic! Right up there beside Metal Heart and Headhunter for that era.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37649

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Never was a huge fan of these guys. I liked a few odd songs here and there but I never got around to picking up any of their albums.
I did have a promo copy (on cassette!) of their TEN album when I was the music critic at my college newspaper years ago, but it bored me stiff, so I got rid of it ...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm

I like their heavy rock days, their more metal days and their melodic hard rock days. They always knew how to right great songs, in 1981, 1987 or 1997 for exemple. My fave albums are MEAN STREAK from 83, DOWN FOR THE COUNT from 85, CONTAGIOUS from 87 and ENDANGERED SPECIES from 97 but i love them all (only MUSICALLY INCORRECT was not very good). They were better on record then live (i saw them a couple of times and they dont realy kick ass in my opinion).
Back to top Go down

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm

There a good band. All their 70's and 80's albums are classic. I also liked the Ten album.

I still need to pick up the rereleases they put out last year.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 pm

I like this band....even in their cheesy endeavors

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 5:15 pm

They were a great live band and I love their stuff all the way from their self-titled debut album in 1976 up through Mean Streak in 1984. The rest of their catalogue gets kinda spotty after that...
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Of course being the old fart I am; my faves are the "Yesterday & Today" albums, before they abbreviated their name. Kind of like Riot's "Rock City", but a little more stonerish. Actually the most similar band to them then would be "Dirty Tricks". Kinda retro. I have a comp of their prime Y & T stuff; and I like it quite a bit; but yes it does bring the Hagar sound more to mind.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39602

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 7:14 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
"In Rock We Trust" is a classic! Right up there beside Metal Heart and Headhunter for that era.

Agreed. I love that album !
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Love their first 2 albums the best they are great!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 pm

Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area I liked Y&T.
Yes EarthShaker, Black Tiger and MeanStreak were their best material.

I don't hear the Sammy Hagar connection at all. They were big in the Bay Area (Soldier opened for them once, 3rd on the bill I think).

My favorite tune has to be 'Hurricane' from "Earthshaker". Back in Jr. High we used to laugh really hard when 'Barroom Boogie' would play. Radio used to play 'Forever' constantly.

Related story. When I was growing up my neighbors across the street had a band called 'Benny & The Jets'... then they became 'The Jets'. I remember Benny loaned me a demo of two of their songs 'Lipstick & Leather' and 'Do You Know'. They were pretty good I thought. Well about 6 months later I guess Benny tells me they sold the songs to 'Y&T' for $125,000 a piece. He was happy, yet nobody would believe me because Benny LeBarge doesn't get credit for those tunes on 'In Rock We Trust'.

However when I bought the best of 81-85 ( which is a great comp) Benny got credit for 'Lipstick'.....

A & M really screwed them. Another example of a great U.S. band (along with Riot, Armored Saint) who released many albums but never got their due....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 2:06 am

I like Y&T. My favorites are Meanstreak, Black Tiger, and In Rock We Trust. I had Meanstreak on tape and wore it out. I need to replace it, I just don't want to spend the money on the japanese import. I saw them in concert when they opened for Motley Crue on the Theatre Of Pain tour. They put on a good show.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39602

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 2:57 pm

journeyman wrote:
I like Y&T. My favorites are Meanstreak, Black Tiger, and In Rock We Trust. I had Meanstreak on tape and wore it out. I need to replace it, I just don't want to spend the money on the japanese import.

A few of their releases (including the 3 you've mentioned) have been remastered and rereleased. They're available at Meniketti.com
Back to top Go down

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 6:18 pm

I have an old tape called In Rock We Trust. I really like it...

)+(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Y&T anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y&T anyone?   Y&T anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Y&T anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: