Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Who

Go down 
+4
DeathCult
tohostudios
Schbopo
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Who Empty
PostSubject: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 3:55 am

I could swear we had a thread on the Who but I couldn't find it. I was
watching a dvd THE WHO -Live in Boston, this post John Entwistle, what
a great show and what a great catalog of songs. Despite it only having
Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend being the last Who men standing they
played with passion and give it their all. Great great band.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 3:56 am

Yeah, there was one. Huh. Well, anyway, I like the Who. Not one of my favorites, but a good band.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:00 am

There definitely was a Who thread here somewhere.

Anyway, great band. "Who's Next" is a classic!

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 am

The Who is one band Ive never been able to get into. About three or four songs I like, but they just dont do anything for me really. I feel the same way about The Rolling Stones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 am

Never could get into 'em, there's a few I like. I did like the VH1 Rock Honors The Who though, good stuff.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 6:04 am

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am

I used to think Pete Townsend wasnt that great of a guitarist. Now I realize he is a great musician. I have a newer appreciation for The Who and Pete as a complete musician and guitarist.
I never had any doubt that John Entwistle was one of the best bass players of all time, however.
Yes, there was a recent thread on The Who so thats why I just said a few snippets above.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 2:19 am

XYZ found the old thread I had responded on originally but the search
engine didn't detect it, oh well. The Who is definitley in my personal
top 20 list. The impact they made couldn't be overstated.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 am

Last night’s Kennedy Center Honors was easily the strangest in its 31-year history. In a first, Washington’s most glitzy event celebrated a legendary rock act. Along with musicians George Jones and Barbra Streisand, actor Morgan Freeman and choreographer Twyla Tharp, the event gave the honorable nod to the Who.
And the crowd of 2,300 in the capitol’s Opera House reflected that odd mix. Dressed in formal black tie, Newt Gringrich, Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, Madeleine Albright, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Reps. Daniel Patrick Leahey and Patrick Kennedy streamed down the red carpet with Dave Grohl, Jack Black, Rob Thomas, and the Who’s Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, who earlier in the day made the traditional visit to the White House for a chat with President Bush. Is George W. a fan? “Let’s just say he appreciates them,” said a West Wing staffer.
First, Denzel Washington presented a warm salute to Morgan Freeman, a longtime fan of the Mississippi Delta Blues. Onstage, a gathering of legendary blues musicians including Willie “Big Eyes” Smith, Honeyboy Edwards and Pinetop Perkins arrived, each one shuffling onstage slower than the first. With Coco Taylor taking vocals, the band slipped into “Everything is Going to be Alright” with startlingly crisp, clear sound. Later, looking sagely and stoic, Freeman watched and mouthed the words to B.B. King playing “Let the Good Times Roll” as his wife dabbed her tears. Next up was Lilly Tomlin who celebrated legendary choreographer Twyla Tharp, who has created dances to music of Bob Dylan and Billy Joel and collaborated with David Byrne. Then there was Jack Black introducing the Who.
“When I was 10, I fell in love with the Who,” he said. “I saw Tommy and was deeply moved. I wasn’t deaf, dumb or blind, but I wanted to be felt, seen, heard and healed. Seriously, I’m not going for laughs here … When I first heard them in 1979, it hit me like a torpedo in my third eye. It was a collection of ass-kicking songs the likes of which will never see again. And it’s about time they get some sweet-ass recognish.”
After a video montage, fellow Brit Joss Stone slinked about the stage in bare feet singing “My Generation.” Chris Cornell took on “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” attempting Daltrey’s wild-boy act. Bettye LaVette sang a bluesy “Love Reign O’er Me.” By the time Dave Grohl took the stage to rip the hell out of “Who Are You,” the volume was high and the speakers were warm. As he thrashed on a blue hollow-body electric guitar, an elderly man nearby grasped his cane and began frowning and shaking his head. How many times do you get to opportunity to sing “Who the Smurf are you?” before the President of the United States? Rob Thomas did an anemic “Baba O’Riley” that was saved when the flashing, lighted Union Jack backdrop parted to reveal an army of New York fireman and police men — the same who attended the 9-11 concert that reunited the remaining members of the Who.
Traditionally, the Kennedy Center honorees are recognized for their lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts, which makes it unique that the first rock band to be celebrated is a U.K. outfit. “This is a great thrill,” Townsend told the press earlier. “Since the Who began in the early ’60s we have loved American music and audiences and have made deep and lasting friendships with everyone involved in the industry there. Roger and I both feel our work in the United States has been as important as our work at home. Because our medium rock music is quintessentially American music with broad and deep international and multicultural roots, this honor is especially meaningful to we Brits.”
“As a teenager growing up in the austerity of post-war England, it was the music I heard emanating from America that gave me a dream to hang my life on,” Daltrey said. “To make music and make it there. I am deeply touched at receiving this honor, the warmth and affection I feel from our U.S. audience is humbling indeed. To be added to the list of past recipients of this award makes that dream come true.”
After a brief intermission, Laura Bush introduced the George Jones tribute and a who’s who of modern country gave tributes, including Brad Paisley, Randy Travis, Alan Jackson and Shelby Lynne. Bush chewed gum and sang along to Garth Brooks doing “The Race is On.” Rounding out the evening was Queen Latifah and Glenn Close paying tribute to Barbra Streisand, and BeyoncĂ© emerged from beneath the stage boards to sing “The Way We Were.”
The event will be telecast on CBS December 30th at 9:00 p.m. EST.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 am

My favorite band all-time. I would go weeks at a time only listening to their albums in my early 20's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who   The Who Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Who
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: