Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

sonata artica?

Go down 
+9
steel warrior
DallasBlack
kmorg
GrandNational
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
sam
tohostudios
powermacho
13 posters
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 4:46 pm

I attended to a free show from Sonata Artica yesterday. The thing is that I have never heard of them before. Any recommendation? I see that Nolifetilmetal only has the first 2 albums
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:15 pm

I like the early stuff. They've gotten more and more progressive with each release. My favorite album is Ecliptica.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:23 pm

always found them mediocre
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:25 pm

I like Sonata Artica and own the albums For the Sake of Revenge, Winterheart's Guild, Ecliptica, and Unia. I prefer the first 3 cds and was not a huge fan of Unia even though i like it. It seemed a little bit in the opposite direction then the latter.

Start with Reckoning Night and Ecliptica awesome cds Favorite song below other then Full Moon

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Full Moon is easily my favorite SA song, both musically and lyrically.

I also love their cover of Still Loving You; so much better than the lame Scorpions version.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm

I love all their stuff, but the first two are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:46 pm

I enjoyed them for a while. I'm just over this kind of music for now. Too fluffy at times and most of the songs blur between one another.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

powermacho wrote:
I attended to a free show from Sonata Artica yesterday. The thing is that I have never heard of them before. Any recommendation? I see that Nolifetilmetal only has the first 2 albums

So strt reading the sites that matters then! lol!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm

I quite like them. I hade Winterheart's Guild but misplaced it shortly after getting it (I only got to listen to it once). I never was able to find it again, although I do have the case and CD booklet. I later got Reckoning Night and fell in love with it instantly and it remains one of my favorite albums. Unia is a good album but not one I find myself listening to as often. I think Timmo's voice is perfect for the music.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:50 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I quite like them. I hade Winterheart's Guild but misplaced it shortly after getting it (I only got to listen to it once). I never was able to find it again, although I do have the case and CD booklet. I later got Reckoning Night and fell in love with it instantly and it remains one of my favorite albums. Unia is a good album but not one I find myself listening to as often. I think Timmo's voice is perfect for the music.

Wow! When did Winterheart's Guild become so rare?

I was gonna offer my copy to Dallas for my usual $8 but on a whim, I checked out prices elsewhere. This thing is going for about $20 on Amazon zShops and Ebay.

Guess I'll keep my copy even though I don't like it.

Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:04 pm

I like them but Reckoing Night is may fave, followed by Ecliptica. Unia sucks donkey balls!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Quote :
Unia sucks donkey balls!

Thank you. People love to give me crap because I hate this album. Sorry, it just sucks. Songwriting is waaaaay overblown and memorability is out the window on this one.

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Ecliptica, Winterhearts Guild, and Silence all rule! Reckoning Night took a while to grow on me, but I love it now. White Pearls is a standout track, along with Don't Say A Word.

Free concert? Nightwish cancel? I had to pay thirty bucks for the show! Which, uh... was worth it.

Toho, I'm with you on Unia. There are bits that I like, and then it completely derails.

If you're in America, the Live CD For The Sake of Revenge comes with a nicely done Live DVD. It's in Japan, I'm almost certain they are opening for Maiden, but don't quote me on it.

20 bucks for Winterhearts? There's three at the record store last I checked! Used, seven or eight bucks!

- Robbie
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 2:35 am

Ecliptica is probably my favourite album of theirs, but I pretty much enjoy their discography, even if there are a few dips in to the mediocre. Unia is a weird one in that it has basically split the fanbase, some hailing it as their best, others complaining about how radically a direction change it was. I quite like it personally, although it's no longer metal, that's for sure. Still, it has a really nice 'warm' quality to it (hard to say quite what I mean) and there are some great songs on it.

However. Has anyone heard the remastered first few albums with 2008 versions of songs? Specifically, Silence and it's 2008 version of 'Wolf & Raven', which is actually offensive.

Probably one of my favourite Sonata Arctica reduced to non-sensical vocal narcissism, with none of the charm of the original. At least the 'Letter to Dana' remake is slightly in tone with the original.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm seeing them live come November 1st

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 am

I got a new MP3 player and went through the long process of vetting and loading songs.

A couple of SA songs from their early years cycled through. Man, do I miss early SA. They were so creative, fast, melodic, technical. Great songwriting. I know bands evolve, but I miss that version of SA.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am

I only have the first two, but those are pretty great.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 12:38 pm

I have the first four. Haven't played them in years.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 pm

I have 2 SA songs on a "random music" comp I created several years ago.  "Full Moon" and "Still Loving You" and I still love both of those even though I've long since left power metal behind me.

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I got a new MP3 player and went through the long process of vetting and loading songs.

A couple of SA songs from their early years cycled through. Man, do I miss early SA. They were so creative, fast, melodic, technical. Great songwriting. I know bands evolve, but I miss that version of SA.

I hear ya! Tried to listen to their last album but it was just too boring and uninspired. The guitars were so low in the mix, except for the solos, they might as well have not been in there.

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 10:39 am

I like stuff up through Winterheart's Guild and Pariah's Child but their recent stuff is pretty meh.

Sponsored content

sonata artica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sonata artica?   sonata artica? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sonata artica?
Page 1 of 1