Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!

Go down 
+5
exact33
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
9 posters
AuthorMessage

This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Empty
PostSubject: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 am

Quote :
On one hand I'm inclined to call this one an inside joke but too many people who's opinion I respect like this album. In fact in the NYC downtown scene this is regarded as a bit of a classic. Selling for ridiculous amounts of money, this old Futura release features a trio of guitar, bass, and drums. It's been described as free improv rock but I think that is an insult to any improv musician because it would imply that these three guys had some concept of what improv is. Basically if you dig the sound of musicans holding instruments in their hands for the first time and trying to figure out how to tune up then this is a must. Otherwise save the money.
He's SELLING that frickin' album! Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 am

You have to take your hat off to any distro that can be so honest. I can remember an online distro back in the late 90's (name escapes me) who's descriptions were so honest it was embarrassing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 5:40 am

Ken has a bunch of things like this on the site. It's great. I'm serious, though, there's not one release, from any of his labels, that I dislike. The dude has a great ear for music, I think.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am

Iorden (Stormspell) does the same thing at times. I agree Eyesore, it's refreshing and makes me more likely as a consumer to be loyal to said distro.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:08 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Iorden (Stormspell) does the same thing at times.

Yea, I loved when he referred to that band "Shatterpoint" as "Gaytera and Fukshine Head wanna-bes" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 am

Exactly!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:56 am

I've always thought Laser's Edge was a great distro but some of the stuff he recommended and some of the stuff on his label I thought was terrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I've always thought Laser's Edge was a great distro but some of the stuff he recommended and some of the stuff on his label I thought was terrible.
I can definitely see you hating most of his releases. He's got some weird, weird fusion stuff on his label.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I can definitely see you hating most of his releases. He's got some weird, weird fusion stuff on his label.

And quite a bit of horrible prog metal. Bands that hide behind pseudo-technique and couldn't write a decent song to save their lives.

And I love stuff like the first SPASTIC INK album, CYNIC, FATES WARNING, DREAM THEATER, MERCURY RISING, ANTITHESIS, the first SPIRAL ARCHITECT demo, YES, GENESIS, RUSH, KING CRIMSON, etc. etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:49 pm

I wonder what he would say about the Phoenix Reign cd? Should I contact him?

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
And quite a bit of horrible prog metal. Bands that hide behind pseudo-technique and couldn't write a decent song to save their lives.

And I love stuff like the first SPASTIC INK album, CYNIC, FATES WARNING, DREAM THEATER, MERCURY RISING, ANTITHESIS, the first SPIRAL ARCHITECT demo, YES, GENESIS, RUSH, KING CRIMSON, etc. etc. etc.
Most of those bands, while definitely prog-metal, lean more toward whatever "normal" metal they're based in (death metal for Cynic, power metal for Dream Theater, etc.). Maybe that's why you like them more? Who knows. It's all a matter of tastes.

Five years ago I would have labeled 90% of his releases as complete crap. That style was just too busy for me. But in recent years I've become a big fan, can't understand why I once disliked it so much. Weird how that works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I wonder what he would say about the Phoenix Reign cd? Should I contact him?
Why not? He's a cool dude.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:31 pm

I'll give it a shot

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Ken is a great guy too in addition to his distro honesty. I am not sure I like all his stuff but there is a lot of great jems on his site. I am like Eyesore too in the fact that a few years ago I wouldnt have given prog the time of day and now love it. I think it is nice that he actually listens to most of the stuff he stocks and doesnt call everything the best he has ever heard.

I wish he didnt have to import most of his stuff though. the cost of imports these days is killing my cd budget...

Alex

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Ken has stuff that you can't find anwhere else and gets stuff earlier than most other places. Sentinel Steel is another good distro he carries more obscure metal stuff! You know what I mean!

Wargod48

NP: Holy Martyr - Hellinic Warrior Spirit
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Ken has stuff that you can't find anwhere else and gets stuff earlier than most other places. Sentinel Steel is another good distro he carries more obscure metal stuff! You know what I mean!

Wargod48

NP: Holy Martyr - Hellinic Warrior Spirit

Denis is a great guy too!

TheKing

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Yup. I haven't ordered from SS in ages, though. I should.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 6:27 pm

i just ordered some anubis gate from denis.

Alex

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Bump for a question...

This Laser's Edge a reputable site? I was poking arond a little on there and a few itmes caught my eye. Might be inclined to send some business his way if he's as good as you folks say he is.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bump for a question...

This Laser's Edge a reputable site? I was poking arond a little on there and a few itmes caught my eye. Might be inclined to send some business his way if he's as good as you folks say he is.

I've never had any problems with him, but I have not ordered anything from him for a few years.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:10 pm

chewie wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bump for a question...

I've never had any problems with him, but I have not ordered anything from him for a few years.

Same here. I ordered a bunch of stuff from him during my "power metal daze" with no problems at all but it's been several years...

PostSubject: Re: This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!   This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This Is Why Ken Golden and Laser's Edge Rules!
Page 1 of 1