Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ASG Anyone?

Go down 
+3
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 pm

Anyone know these guys? Apparently they've been added as an opener to the Motorhead show Friday night. I never heard of them. The stuff on their myspace page sounds pretty cool though...

http://www.myspace.com/asgmusic

They're listed as death metal/bluegrass/blues, but I'm thinking that's a joke. More like stoner metal. I might actually make the effort to get inside to see them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 9:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone know these guys? Apparently they've been added as an opener to the Motorhead show Friday night. I never heard of them. The stuff on their myspace page sounds pretty cool though...

http://www.myspace.com/asgmusic

They're listed as death metal/bluegrass/blues, but I'm thinking that's a joke. More like stoner metal. I might actually make the effort to get inside to see them.

Probably not something I'd buy but based on that MySpace link, I'd go see 'em. Not bad.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:23 am

I like 'em based on the clips. Sounds like the more accessible stoner stuff out there like The Sword, Wolfmother, Priestess, Witch etc. with maybe a bit more straight metal included?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 am

Reading about them is confusing though. People describe them as southern alternative surf punk and all sorts of stuff. scratch Sounds pretty good to my ears though, whatever they call it. That's what I go by.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Reading about them is confusing though. People describe them as southern alternative surf punk and all sorts of stuff. scratch Sounds pretty good to my ears though, whatever they call it. That's what I go by.

Looks like they have 4 or 5 cd's out already, so maybe their sound has progressed over that time. Who knows? Unfortunatley, I probably won't be seeing them, especially if they go on 1st. There's a good chance I'll still be in the parking lot with my buddies.
Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 am

Music sounded "ok" but the vocals turned me off...
Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 am

Give me MSG or DSG!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:18 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Give me MSG or DSG!

monosodium glutamate?
Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Michael Schenker Group
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 pm

detuned wrote:
Michael Schenker Group

Ok smart guy. What's DSG?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:15 pm

their kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Quote :
Ok smart guy. What's DSG?

Although I know detuned could answer this, I will for him:

http://www.davidshanklegroup.com/
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:08 pm

that's a cool name, David shankle
Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Dude can shred too!! Was in Manowar for a second, before he knew better.
Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:

Just stop it.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:20 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:

I would quit to if they asked me to where a loin cloth with a buttflap Shocked
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Damn, I thought that said Ass
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 3:12 pm

The music and vocals really vary on ther latest Win Us Over. Music wise they go from a Fu Manchu to High On Fire to Halfway To Gone to sot of a Modern Rock/Alternative. I like the laest well enough, melodic type vocals mixed with a shouting/screamish type thing. Blag Dahlia from The Dwarves does guest vocals on the song Palm Springs. Find ASG at volcoment.com or asgnation.com-TJ
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Looks like they have 4 or 5 cd's out already, so maybe their sound has progressed over that time. Who knows? Unfortunatley, I probably won't be seeing them, especially if they go on 1st. There's a good chance I'll still be in the parking lot with my buddies.

As predicted, I missed these guys on Friday night. Heard from a buddy that they were just ok live. Caught the tail end of Valient Thor and thought the music was decent, but the lead singer was a spaz and sounded terrible. And he looks like thin Rick Rubin.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 am

I got the last two ASG discs, and I'm liking this a whole lot. It's unique and diverse. They seem to be evolving from a hardcore past to a stoner future; with a lot of metal in the mix as well. They remind me of everybody and nobody at this point ("Win Us Over"), but I really like it and I suspect this will turn out to be pretty deep stuff.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Give me MSG or DSG!

or even better ASS lol!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 12:41 am

One last thought about this band then I'll shut up. Detuned's rant on the "Stoner" label is relevant here. Their latest album (Win Us Over) is obviously designed to be marketed as "Stoner" (artwork, song titles). But listening to the album it's really pretty unclassifiable except by song, and perhaps not even then. Others might not like it as much as I do, or at all; but the fact is that it's difficult to grasp this thing by verbal descriptions, labels, or even a few clips IMO. Their previous album even more so. It's not gratuitously strange, it's just very creative like some other hard to label albums such as Anacrusis "Screams & Whispers" or Greta "No Biting". Not that it sounds anything like either of those, it doesn't).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ASG Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASG Anyone?   ASG Anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ASG Anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: