Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jimi Hendrix

Go down 
+27
MetalRob331
DevZor
journeyman
James B.
SpectreFate
jstate
Eyesore
jettafiend
mikeinfla
Andy
exact33
chewie
TheGooch
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
mlotek
sam
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
XYZ
assault_attack
Schbopo
skullsmasher
ultmetal
akeldama
manny
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:56 pm

This September 17 will mark 38 years since Jimi Hendrix passed away. In
the three short years that Hendrix's public life lasted he made an
impact that has been equalled by very few musicians of any era, the
master of the stratocaster classic albums released in his lifetime are
timeless, " Electric Ladyland" ' Axis: Bold as Love" and " Are
You Experinced?" I still hear something new when I listen to them even
after all these years.
Countless of albums have been released posthumously of various
degrees of quality, but if you listen closely you will hear a man who
was touched by the muses and you can still hear the wind cry Mary.
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm

My favorite was always the Band Of Gypsys record, that's the album that truly made me realize I was listening to a genius and not just a guitar player. My second favorite is probably Axis: Bold As Love, they are some great songs on that album that don't get mentioned enough: Wait Until Tomorrow, You Got Me Floatin', etc.

There has been ALOT of Hendrix material released over the past several years via the Hendrix family. I've gotten all of the studio material and have yet to be disapointed. They are all available via Dagger Records.

http://www.daggerrecords.com/

The amount of instrumental material is really breathtaking, check out the releases Hear My Music and Burning Desire first.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:20 am

I've always dug Hendrix a lot. First Rays Of The New Rising Sun has been my fave since it came out in '97 but none of his work has disappointed me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 8:46 am

Huge Hendrix fan. Have been since I was a kid. "Electric Ladyland" has always been my favorite, but I really like everything he has recorded. Even all those sloppy bootlegs are cool.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 am

ultmetal wrote:
Huge Hendrix fan. Have been since I was a kid. "Electric Ladyland" has always been my favorite, but I really like everything he has recorded. Even all those sloppy bootlegs are cool.

I agree, my fave album is Axis Bold as Love.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Detuned brought up " Band of Gypsys" excellent live album and only one released during his lifetime, the version of " Machine Gun" on this album is incredible. I have lots of Hendrix cds about 38 at last count but I still have not gotten around to buying the Dagger Record releases, I will have to invest in thoses releases soon.
Also in the mid 90's they released more of that " Band of Gypsys" concert as ' Live in the Fillmore East" which is worth getting, if you don't award own it detuned.
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 pm

I've purchased all of the "official" releases on the Experience Hendrix label, plus I have all the studio recordings from Dagger Records and the Experience box set (which I'm getting ready to re-purchase on vinyl).

I've also got a 10 CD set of bootleg recordings and about 20 or so CDR's.

I love's me some Hendrix. headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 5:50 pm

It is amazing for a man who's career lasted 3 years (1967-1970) what a huge impact he made in general, and how many cds of outakes and live recordings have been released, not including the numerous compliations.
I am glad his family took over the estate, ever since than the have placed quality control over Hendrix's music and legacy, cleaned up the market of some of the more questionable releases such as ' Nine to the Universe" and "Crash Landing" where they re-recorded the bass and drum tracks with studio musicians, thankfully alot of the songs that were on those albums have been reissued and the original recordings restored. Experience Hendrix have handled the reissues with great deal of care and paid close attention to both detail and quality.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Hmm. I always got the impression you liked "Are you experienced" best.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 pm

"Machine Gun" Wow! What an amazing track that is.
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 10:10 pm

assault_attack wrote:
"Machine Gun" Wow! What an amazing track that is.

Its even better Live. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:37 am

Watched a vhs copy of the film " Jimi Hendrix" that my friend gave me last night, excellent documentary and was one of the first documentaries based on major rock musician, it was filmed and released in 1973. They show this film from time to time on VH1 Classic, if you haven't seen this film, I would recommend you do so even if your not fan of Jimi Hendrix. Some amazing film footage of Hendrix performing, and they were able to interview a few close friends and ex girlfirends since it was filmed and released only 3 years after his passing.
Alot of the live footage that is shown in the film has since been cleaned up both the visual and audio since the family has taken over the estate but the live footage is worth the price of admission alone.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Electric Ladyland is his best, imo.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:57 pm

I love Jimi. Genius.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 11:01 am

Listened to Jimi Hendrix-The Last Experience this morning, ULt has it reviewed under another title "Greatest Hits" the album is really various recordings of the last two shows of the original The Jimi Hendrix Experience, great shows but whoever edited this needs to be shot, it cuts out the ending of songs etc, avoid this title unless you are diehard fan like myself and apparently ULT.
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Brought on by the discussion in the playlist thread, I thought it might be helpful to untangle the current Hendrix discography.

Official Studio Recordings:

Are You Experienced
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
(songs from the unfinished 4th album)
South Saturn Delta (more songs from the unfinished 4th album, plus alternates)

Official Live Albums:

Bandy Of Gypsys
Live At The Fillmore (more material from the Band Of Gypsys concert)
Live At Woodstock
Blue Wild Angel (live at the Isle Of Wight)
Live At Berkely (second set, different from the film)
Live At Monterary (from the 1967 Monteray Pop Festival)

Box Sets & Dagger Records releases
:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (box set featuring alternate takes, studio & live tracks)
The BBC Sessions (tracks recorded for radio during Jimi's stay in London)
Jimi Hendrix: Blues (compilation of blues songs from various eras, mostly not available elsewhere)
Hear My Music (unreleased instrumental studio recordings)
Morning Symphony Ideas (unreleased instrumental & vocal studio recordings)
Burning Desire (unreleased studio recordings with Band Of Gypsys)
The Baggy's Rehearsal Session (recorded practice sessions with Band Of Gypsys)

more live material from Dagger records:

Live At Oakland Coliseum
Live At Clark University
Live In Ottawa
Paris 1967/San Francisco 1968
Live At The Isle Of Fehmarn

Compilations:
Smash Hits
Experience Hendrix: Best of

Voodoo Child (2 CD best of)
Martin Scorcese Presents The Blues (mostly superfluous but does have a couple songs not available elsewhere)

There are still alot of other bootlegs floating around...and still hundreds of hours of studio & live recordings that haven't been released yet.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Incredible that an artist who's career in the public eye lasted only three years (1967-1970) died at 27 could leave such a huge impact on rock music (all genres) and leave behind so much studio and live recordings that coming up on 39 years after his death where only beginning to scratch the surface. Scottmitchell said it best "Genius"
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:18 pm

I just added it up in my media player and I have over 32 hours of Hendrix on my computer.

🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Not to tarnish the man's reputation or discount any of his work, but do you think Hendrix would be relevant today if he were still alive or would he be forgotten, playing to empty clubs or county fairs with other "oldies acts"?

Guys like Clapton and McCartney can still pack decent sized venues, but neither has had a hit in years. Same with the Rolling Stones. They're all living off of the past. Would Hendrix be as legendary today if he were still alive?

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Quote :
Guys like Clapton and McCartney can still pack
decent sized venues, but neither has had a hit in years. Same with the
Rolling Stones. They're all living off of the past. Would Hendrix be as
legendary today if he were still alive?

Of course no one knows for sure but I'll speculate that he would be up there with Clapton and McCartney as rock royalty. He would have been at least as well known as that freak Syd Barrett still is. Smile
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 pm

I don't think there's anyway to answer that question. I don't pay attention to the Hendrix hype machine, I just know what I hear. The music he recorded is timeless and kind of speaks for itself.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Not to tarnish the man's reputation or discount any of his work, but do you think Hendrix would be relevant today if he were still alive or would he be forgotten, playing to empty clubs or county fairs with other "oldies acts"?

Guys like Clapton and McCartney can still pack decent sized venues, but neither has had a hit in years. Same with the Rolling Stones. They're all living off of the past. Would Hendrix be as legendary today if he were still alive?

I think it would be similar to Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and even the Rolling Stones, considered a living legend and huge touring act and releases albums for his die hard fan base, with sales that are good but not blockbusters of yesteryears . But it is hard to tell.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:56 pm

I don't have an answer either. I'm just wondering. There are times when I think he'd be considdered legendary, still packing the house, then other times I think he'd be sort of forgotten or living in obscurity. Same with Jim Morrison or Janis Joplin. Sure their deaths made them bigger than life, but had they lived, would their legacy be tarnished by a decline in popularity and record sales and watching them grow old. I don't know. This is just something I think about instead of being productive at work.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't have an answer either. I'm just wondering. There are times when I think he'd be considdered legendary, still packing the house, then other times I think he'd be sort of forgotten or living in obscurity. Same with Jim Morrison or Janis Joplin. Sure their deaths made them bigger than life, but had they lived, would their legacy be tarnished by a decline in popularity and record sales and watching them grow old. I don't know. This is just something I think about instead of being productive at work.

I am huge Doors fan but if Jim Morrison had lived I think at best we would have maybe gotten one more album from him, from various books I have read he loved performing music but didnot like the circus his life had become. I think he would have pulled a Syd Barrett lived off his royalities and lived in obsurity writing books of poetry with rumors circulating about an impending Doors reunion every few years, that is my theory anyway.
Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:06 pm

The one thing that I've learned about Hendrix over the years was the man wasn't content to do one thing well, he had a voracious appetite for music and the arts. The next scheduled recording for him was to have been an album with Miles Davis (this info from Miles Davis' autobiography). Miles went electric with his band primarily because of Hendrix' inspiration. Miles thought Hendrix was a genius and envisioned him as "the next John Coltrane".

I think Hendrix would have tried his hand at many different styles of music, jazz being just one of them.

That's as far as I'd like to "dream forward", I just know that my life has been forever enriched by the material he recorded during his short time on the planet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jimi Hendrix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next