Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio - "Magica" cover

Go down 
+5
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
skullsmasher
ultmetal
Pontus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

Dio - "Magica" cover Empty
PostSubject: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 am

Hi! I have wondered for a time about my Magica CD cover. This is the ordinary one with the classic Dio font and a demon:
Dio - "Magica" cover DioMagica

The CD cover I have, however, shows Ronnie's face behind a guitar machine head and the text font looks like a cheaper alternative to the ordinary one:
Dio - "Magica" cover Foto3310

I can't find any information about this on the Internet and hope someone here can help me with the mysterious Magica cover!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 7:08 am

The original Magica album was released by Spitfire in 2000. The cover you have is a 2005 European version released as part of the "Noble Price" series. A value series. Apparently since Spitfire Records was swallowed up by Eagle Rock in Europe, some items have been licensed out to other companies for reissue. In America it is still being sold through the Spitfire label. Whether or not if it is actually still in print in its original form or the availability is based on stock on hand is unclear. On a side note, there is also a Magica/Killing The Dragon set that was released by Recall Records in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 am

spectrefate wrote:
The original Magica album was released by Spitfire in 2000. The cover you have is a 2005 European version released as part of the "Noble Price" series. A value series. Apparently since Spitfire Records was swallowed up by Eagle Rock in Europe, some items have been licensed out to other companies for reissue. In America it is still being sold through the Spitfire label. Whether or not if it is actually still in print in its original form or the availability is based on stock on hand is unclear. On a side note, there is also a Magica/Killing The Dragon set that was released by Recall Records in the UK.

Ah, thank you very much for the info! But on another hand, the first three Raven albums in my collection (Rock Until You Drop, Wiped Out, All for One) are from the Spitfire remasters and I bought them from a real seller (not a private one) here in Sweden.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:15 am

Maybe Eagle Rock is still using the Spitfire name. I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:32 am

spectrefate wrote:
Maybe Eagle Rock is still using the Spitfire name. I'm not sure.

No. The Raven reissues were released in 2002 before Spitfire changed hands.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:14 am

Raven, I haven't heard about these guys in years. I liked 'em. Saw them open for Priest on the Turbo tour in 1986 Phoenix Arizona. Great time and cool show.

I have never seen the Magica cover that you posted, funny how the record distributors change stuff around when they shuffle the business end of things.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 am

I've never seen that "alternate" MAGICA cover either. Very strange. I like the original one better.

RAVEN RULES! Great avatar, Pontus! 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've never seen that "alternate" MAGICA cover either. Very strange. I like the original one better.

RAVEN RULES! Great avatar, Pontus! 🤘

Yes, me too but I didn't find out that it was the alternative cover until I got it with my mail.

They sure do! Thank you!

"RAVEN'S SPEED KILLS! - HAIL TO THE KINGS OF THRASH!"
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:30 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I have that dual cd set of Magica/Killing the Dragon. 🤘
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 3:30 pm

The original cover looks better.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:56 am

Original cover is a real piece of art.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:07 am

I have a t-shirit of Magica with the two faces are merged:

Dio - "Magica" cover DioMagicaposter
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 am

that's a sweet poster.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:39 am

I saw Dio on the Magica tour. It was outstanding. I really familiarized myself with that album, knowing that the band was playing the entire album on that tour. I like when bands do that.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 am

It's a dream to see dio live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I just heard this very well-conceived concept album in its entirety on my drive back this afternoon...It's better than good, but not quite excellent. Still very impressive for basically one man's effort, and it being his first concept album after all these years. The guy still has the creativity of a 25 to 35 yr. old. Which makes ya think that he might actually be in league with the devil. I heard that RJD was in the midst of putting together a Part II and III of the Magica storyline when the Heaven and Hell thing intruded and re-routed his efforts. Any word on all of that?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
I just heard this very well-conceived concept album in its entirety on my drive back this afternoon...It's better than good, but not quite excellent. Still very impressive for basically one man's effort, and it being his first concept album after all these years. The guy still has the creativity of a 25 to 35 yr. old. Which makes ya think that he might actually be in league with the devil. I heard that RJD was in the midst of putting together a Part II and III of the Magica storyline when the Heaven and Hell thing intruded and re-routed his efforts. Any word on all of that?

He is indeed planning to release sequals (sic).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

He is indeed planning to release sequals (sic).

...Hopefully he'll get them all done before he kicks the bucket. The guy ain't getting any younger and he still has to get through Heaven & Hell's doubtlessly-long album and tour schedule for this year before he can even start work on the MAGICA follow ups!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 pm

RJD has been around a loooong time. The guy has been around for every single shift and trend that Rock music has ever taken...going all the way back to Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Back when Metal was not yet even a concept, RJD was alive, a musically-inclined beginner, pluckin away at his bass and singin the blues. I just started listening to the debut Rainbow effort , as well as the final Elf outing. I'm wondering if anything earlier than Elf is readily available to the public? There's a career retrospective called Stand Up And Shout, but it only goes back to Elf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio - "Magica" cover   Dio - "Magica" cover Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio - "Magica" cover
Page 1 of 1