Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

And Another One Gone...

Go down 
+10
ThrashedOutCobra33
Schbopo
manny
the sentinel
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
mc666
Stender
sam
MetalGuy71
14 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

And Another One Gone... Empty
PostSubject: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 1:42 pm

I went downtown today at lunch to purchase Motorhead tickets and I saw that another music shop I used to frequent, Relapse Records, has gone belly-up. The area where it was located, South Street, used to be home to at least 4 or 5 independant shops (that I can remember anyway) and a Tower Records. I'm not sure, but I think Relapse was the last one to go. There might be one still left, but it was primarily a vinyl shop catering to dj's and not much in the way of cd's.

So sad, but that's just the way it is anymore. Oh well, we'll always have the inter-webs, I guess.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 1:56 pm

man that sucks, all the records stores we had over here went under before i was born.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 pm

That sucks, I don't even have a record store in my town, I have to travel about 45min to the nearest one for me.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:32 pm

there are like 4 decent music stores in my area. there used to be more, but that's how it goes these days. i'm still pretty lucky.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:35 pm

The whole are of South Street used to be a really cool place to shop, hang out, drink, see shows, etc., but about 5 or 6 years ago, the area went through an "urban renewal", meaning that all the cool little independant shops & resturants got forced out so big chains could move in. Now the place is full of KFC's, Gap and T-Mobile stores. There are still a handfull of cool places, but for the most part, it's all gone.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:55 pm

Stender wrote:
That sucks, I don't even have a record store in my town, I have to travel about 45min to the nearest one for me.

Ditto, the lone halfway decent one in this area is about a 40 minute drive for me. I used to pass it on my way home from work every day so I could stop in any time I wanted, but then I got transferred to a new office so I'm nowhere near it anymore. I miss that place!!
angry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 pm

i used to buy from indepenent shops until i realised i could get them half price off net
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:54 pm

There are nothing but chain stores around me (Newbury, FYE) and no "Mom n' Pop" record stores. There used to be 7 up until a few years ago. Sad
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

If I want to buy a cd I either can go to a chain store, and there selection sucks, Walmart which sucks even more, or I can drive 45 minutes to a store called Sound Exchange which is great independent store, but 5 or 6 years ago we had 4 to 5 good ones, even one that was just dedicated to metal called Ace's, but that is gone to. thank god for Amazon and internet or i would be forced to special order my cd from one of these big chains
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:23 pm

the sentinel wrote:
There are nothing but chain stores around me (Newbury, FYE) and no "Mom n' Pop" record stores. There used to be 7 up until a few years ago. Sad

Same here. It's sort of a love/hate relationship I have with FYE, because I love their selection but I refuse to pay $20 for a copy of The Blessed Hellride. I just won't do it. And Another One Gone... 505193
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:30 pm

We don'y really have any record stores ive found records in like second hand stores though. Which have some rock and stuff but the non-christian stuff they throw out which is just sad...But ive found some good Alice Cooper and Van Halen in some bins.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:08 pm

Schbopo wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Same here. It's sort of a love/hate relationship I have with FYE, because I love their selection but I refuse to pay $20 for a copy of The Blessed Hellride. I just won't do it. And Another One Gone... 505193

This + 100. The next (only) option for me is Best Buy and Target. And their selectiond have been getting worse and worse. And I still have to drive about 30 minutes to get to either them or FYE.

We're being slowly forced into the digital download age. Like it or not.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 pm

I bought a few albums from one of the remaining record stores around the University of New Mexico area in Albuquerque a few weeks ago. August was their last month open. I asked the owner why he was going out of business, and he said "it's just time for me to retire." Sucks!

There is still a few stores left around Albuquerque, but they are disappearing fast. Stupid MP3s and lazy people who would rather steal music than pay for it!

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Could you tell me a few of em, Ult? I live pretty close to Albuquerque and I have yet to find any. Always have to buy stuff at the mall, which gets pretty expensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Portland has about three good ones left so every time I go see family I stop. Yakima has one good one and they know all my personal information i'm in there so much.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 pm

All the good ones here have gone belly up.

There's still the classic Vintage Vinyl in University City but that's just too far away.

I can get pretty much anything I want off the Internet but I really miss the CD stores that would let employees pick out their favorite new releases for "listening stations". I found more bands I never would have heard of that way.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm

There are 2 large used stores, SecondSpin.com the store, and FYE, and maybe 3 or 4 small record stores that specialize in punk. I get most of my stuff from those places. There was a record store that was a Century Media & Nuclear Blast distro but it went outta business.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Quote :
I can get pretty much anything I want off the Internet but I really miss the CD stores that would let employees pick out their favorite new releases for "listening stations". I found more bands I never would have heard of that way.

Same here. The majority of my purchases are on-line anymore. I'll miss the shops though. Going through the stacks and stacks of poop to find that one gem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And Another One Gone...   And Another One Gone... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

And Another One Gone...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: