Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The kinks

Go down 
+3
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:18 pm

The Kinks who were part of the British Invasion of the 60's have always been citied as an influence and inspiration to birth of heavy metal due to classic songs like "You Really Got Me" " All Day and All of the Night" , Van Halen of course would cover "You Really Got Me" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone", I became a fan during their 80's hey day, with albums such as "State of Confusion" "Give the People What they Want" etc. I did over the years grow to also appreciate the rest of the various eras of the Kinks, Ray Davis great song writer, any fans out there?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:50 pm

The same band that turned me on to UFO also turned me on to The Kinks. They used to play Round The Dial and I loved it so I finally asked them who did it originally.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The same band that turned me on to UFO also turned me on to The Kinks. They used to play Round The Dial and I loved it so I finally asked them who did it originally.

Around the Dial great song almost punk rock song.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I agree that The Kinks were absolutely integral to the development of hard rock. My favorite by them is Sleepwalker though from the mid 70's.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Pete Townsend said that The Kinks and Ray Davies were brilliant songwriters and he even said that The Who actually "borrowed" alot of their songwriting style in the mid 60's. The Kinks were kinda like Exodus of the early 60's and the Who was Metallica; The Who got all the popularity but The Kinks were more integrital in the British Movement than any other band not named The Beatles.

I like alot of the Kinks music, not so much the early to mid 70's conceptual period but they rebounded awesomely in the mid-to-late 70's with Sleepwalker and Low Budget.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:02 pm

stepcousin wrote:
Pete Townsend said that The Kinks and Ray Davies were brilliant songwriters and he even said that The Who actually "borrowed" alot of their songwriting style in the mid 60's. The Kinks were kinda like Exodus of the early 60's and the Who was Metallica; The Who got all the popularity but The Kinks were more integrital in the British Movement than any other band not named The Beatles.

I like alot of the Kinks music, not so much the early to mid 70's conceptual period but they rebounded awesomely in the mid-to-late 70's with Sleepwalker and Low Budget.

Excellent albums, 'Low Budget" was slammed at the time for them using disco/dance beats but I didn't care I thought it was a great album, and also the only song that has a disco type feel is " Superman" and I still love that song.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am

I love the Kinks and Ray Davies.....Ray is such a great story teller, very romantic English whimsy....just listen to the stunning Waterloo Sunset.

While i love the more expansive master werks of Village Green Preservation Society and Something Else...it's that early raw r&b punk that i love the most.

Man just check out this and remember it's 1965, one of the greatest pure rock n' roll songs ever....

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:22 am

rattpoison wrote:
I love the Kinks and Ray Davies.....Ray is such a
great story teller, very romantic English whimsy....just listen to the
stunning Waterloo Sunset.

While i love the more expansive
master werks of Village Green Preservation Society and Something
Else...it's that early raw r&b punk that i love the most.

Man just check out this and remember it's 1965, one of the greatest pure rock n' roll songs ever....

Great song thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 9:43 am

My favorite album is easily Give The People What They Want. Around The Dial, Destroyer, Art Lover, Predictable. Better Things, A Little Bit Of Abuse...just a great album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Looks like I might leave the house and see a concert again in person for the first time in a long time if this happens.

Ray Davies Hints at Kinks Reunion

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/ray-davies-hints-at-kinks-reunion/29833

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2652705/You-really-got-Ray-Davies-hints-Kinks-reunion-20-years-split.html
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 am

I hope they do and if they are going to reunite, they need to do it now, both Davies brothers are approaching their 70's, actually I believe Ray is already 70
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 7:45 am

I've been trying to ascertain through all of this how much of a recovery Dave has made after his... was it a stroke? I know he was physically unable to play for a long while, but it hasn't been mentioned in a while - the assumption being no news is good news.

They're a great band, but they're one - I think, anyway - that rewards real attention. The songs are catchy and pleasant on the surface, but the stories and lyrics in them require that you give them some time to sink in. It's kind of the epitome of the band that had the gatefold sleeve with lyrics in it where you could take the whole package in as "a piece."

I've made the mistake more than a few times of taking them at face value primarily and I've always sort of ended up wandering off kind of bored with what I was hearing. Not to say the songs are bad, but I think the kind of listening I was doing wasn't what suited the material.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Runicen -
I guess you are talking more of the album-length "rock opera" type stuff they did for most of the 1970s?
I tried a couple of those albums a long time ago, but it's more of their harder rocking material that appeals to me.
Will have to give the "mellower" stuff another try.

The Kinks 1980 "One For The Road" double-LP, (and concert video) is one of the coolest I ever heard.
After that, totally understood why Van Halen would cover them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The kinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kinks   The kinks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The kinks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: