Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bar owner defends toilet cameras

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bar owner defends toilet cameras Empty
PostSubject: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:09 pm

New 9:00AM Thursday August 07, 2008

The owner of a Hamilton nightclub is defending the use of video cameras in toilets to stop vandalism.

Waikato student Sam Hulton was horrified to discover he had been filmed in the men's toilet of the Bahama Hut bar on Friday night, The Dominion Post reported.

The 21-year-old had been captured pulling down a poster and putting it in the urinal.

Mr Hulton admitted he was drunk and that what he did "wasn't the best", but said he was shocked when two security staff came in to the toilet and dragged him to a back room.

He was then shown footage of himself urinating in the toilet and was asked to identify himself.

"I had no idea I was being filmed," Mr Hulton, a screen and media student, said.

"I pointed out (it) is illegal due to the fact I was urinating in the urinal at the time."

Bahama Hut general manager Simon Batters said the bar had at least four video cameras set up, including one in each of the men's and women's toilets.

He said staff used footage as proof of vandalism.

=bar owner defends toilet cameras hamilton nightclub defending use video toilets stop vandalism waikato student sam hulton was horrified discover filmed men bahama hut friday night dominion post reported year old captured pulling down poster"

Warning signs were unnecessary because they did not film patrons actually going to the toilet, he said.

Mr Hulton said he had complained to police in the hope that the incident would not be repeated with other customers.

Privacy Commissioner Marie Shroff said personal information, such as video, should be collected only in a way that was open and transparent.

"It would rarely, if ever, be acceptable for CCTV to be in places such as washrooms and locker rooms, where individuals can fairly expect to have privacy," she said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Huh. Thats interesting. As long as they don't film anyone actually taking a piss, then I guess that's okay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Quote :
As long as they don't film anyone actually taking a piss, then I guess that's okay.

I'm not sure it's okay.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

This is an interesting idea. Maybe these cameras can finally tell us why, when you're at a bar, women always go to the ladies' room in groups of three or more. What are they DOING in there that requires back-up??

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Yea, I guess depending on what the cameras are shooting (the backs of men standing at urinals?) I don't see a problem with it. Perhaps a sign warning folks that they are under servailence might help the situation.

If he's got secret cameras in the toilets, hoping to catch a glimpse of some dude's 3-piece set or some girls copping a squat, well that's a whole different kettle of fish. Just ask Chuck Berry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:43 pm

This is bad. No cameras should be allowed in bathrooms. Hire a bathroom security guard, then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
This is bad. No cameras should be allowed in bathrooms. Hire a bathroom security guard, then.

That would be a fun job.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:47 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That would be a fun job.

Remember when rest rooms used to have "attendants?" Guys that would stand there and hand you a paper towel after you wash your hands?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm

yeah, and you had to give them a tip. i ignore them.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 5:39 pm

yet another reason to avoid public restrooms.

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I think this guy should be sued till the cows come home. Without notice posted you can have a reasonable expectation of that your privacy is being adhered to in a public restroom. This guy is violating that expectation and splitting hairs to do it. Not even employers can put cameras in the restrooms or other places where people might change. I understand what he is trying to do but I hope he gets it good for taping people in the restroom.

Alex

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bar owner defends toilet cameras   Bar owner defends toilet cameras Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1