Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Slade fans out there?

Go down 
+3
Metal Misfit
SAHB Healer
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Any Slade fans out there? Empty
PostSubject: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Slade very huge band in Europe during most of the 70's, very influential on this side of the pond, KISS always mention them for example, best known for Quiet Riot's cover version of " Cum on Feel The Noise" and " Mama weer all Crazee", anyone else a fan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 pm

I like a few songs, but I'm not a fan.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Yes I am. I'm dressed in my Noddy Holder outfit right now. I especially like their live stuff and their "metal" years (Til Deaf Do Us Part, etc.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Uncanny how similar Noddy and Kevin DuBrow sounded. Pretty solid band, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 pm

I like the QR covers, but I don't like the originals. Razz

Everything else I've heard, I don't like either. The Boneyard on XM Radio will sometimes play them, I can't remember the one song they'll usually do, but I absolutely hate it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 1:15 am

'Bout time there was a thread on Slade.

Just 4 chord stompin' no bullsh*t rock n' roll. Deceptively heavy but you wouldn't know it thanks to a ever swingin' and movin' beat.

A total shame if they are only known in the US because of those horrible Quiet Riot covers....because down here and in the UK they were huge and still are very popular.

My fav Slade slab is Old New Borrowed And Blue.

I think Kurt Cobain said it best about Slade in an old interview...

"Slade! A band that would never bend over for anyone."

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:00 am

I get all those novelty and bubblegum acts from the UK in the 70's confused (Slade, Sweet, Status Quo, SAHB). How come they all have to start with the letter S anyway? just kidding
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I get all those novelty and bubblegum acts from the UK in the 70's confused (Slade, Sweet, Status Quo, SAHB).
How come they all have to start with the letter S anyway? just kidding

Yeah Bubblegum delivered with a Sledgehammer.

Add Sparks and Skyhooks to the list.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 am

From the USA, the Sparks "Big Beat" album was heavier than their usual; although not up to the UK bands I mentioned. And Strapps would fit right in, although they never got famous like the above bands.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:20 am

What about.....Smokie, Sweeney Todd, Silverhead, Supernaut...stop me!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 am

Silverhead "Sixteen & Savaged" stomps smashingly. Seriously!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:30 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Silverhead "Sixteen & Savaged" stomps smashingly. Seriously!

No doubt about it.

You heard Supernaut? You'll love em...hot on the heals of Skyhooks and Sweet.

This song is as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:43 am

I've never seen or heard them. From down under there?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I've never seen or heard them. From down under there?

Yeah, their S/T from 1976 is a bit of a minor classic. Glam Hard Rock bordering on Punk in attitude, kind of behind but ahead of the times and that name is obviously taken from Black Sabbath.

Steve Jones is a big fan of the band, he reguarly plays them on his radio show out of LA.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 am

I like 'em fairly well, I have The Very Best of Slade, Wall of Hits and Keep your Hands Off My Power Supply. I originally heard and read about these guys mostly being mentioned by other bands as this huge influence on them so I decided to find out for myself what they were about. Good band, cool songs. I'll play them every now and again.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 am

Slade's Old Borrowed and Blue was released over here as Stomp your Hands and Clap your Feet, classic album and very underrated, this guys were a major influence, what other band can claim to have influenced both KISS and Nirvana, hell even Ritchie Blackmore has said nice thing about them, check out the album titled Slayed? It is so raw, and the guy that managed and produced them was Chas Chandler who also managed Jimi Hendrix for a short awhile and produced both Are you Experince and Axis: Bold as Love for hendrix in 1967
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 am

manny wrote:
..these guys were a major influence, what other band can claim to have influenced both KISS and Nirvana...

.....and the Ramones, Cheap Trick, Sex Pistols, Motley Crue, Oasis etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I like the QR covers, but I don't like the originals. Razz

Everything else I've heard, I don't like either. The Boneyard on XM Radio will sometimes play them, I can't remember the one song they'll usually do, but I absolutely hate it.

Given your age I can understand why, don't mean anything by it but Slade is classic in every sense of the band. Early to mid 70's Slade was best!

You had to grow up in that era to appreciate them!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:36 am

Absolutely love this band! In my top 3 easily. Noddy Holder is without a doubt my favourite singer.

Like SAHB, I really like their heavier stuff (Til Deaf Do Us Part, Amazing Kamikaze Syndrome, and the live stuff being the top choices for me). Slayed? of course is a classic, and 'Whatever Happened To Slade' is another great one too. Noddy Holder influenced many an 80s metal screamer too (Kevin DuBrow being the obvious one, but I'd wager that guys like Dee Snider, Blackie Lawless and Brian Vollmer took big cues from him too).

Jim Lea is probably one of the most criminally underrated bassists in rock - not only did he co-write basically everything the band did, but check him out on their live stuff. Apparently, Chas Chandler (who was the bassist for The Animals before he got into management and production) refused to pick up his bass in-studio when Jim was around Laughing

Last edited by HellRaiser on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:40 am

rattpoison wrote:
Sweeney Todd

Their second album 'If Wishes Were Horses' is essential listening - not because it's particularly good or anything, but it's priceless hearing Bryan Adams sing like a 14 year-old girl Laughing (He was basically just trying to mimick Nick Gilder as close as humanly possible).

Gilder actually put out a decent solo album in 79 called Frequency - it's poppy as hell, but it was probably the first time he dropped the overly theatrical crap.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 7:08 pm

In case anyone is getting interested from a hard rock perspective, but may be getting confused by the general enthusiasm, here is what I believe to be some of the heavier entries from these "S' bands:

1. Sweet "Give Us A Wink" (anything mid 70's really)
2. SAHB "Live"
3. Silverhead "16 and Savaged"
4. Slade "On Stage" (or Til Deaf Do Us Part-studio)
5. Status Quo- "Blue for You" (s/t or Quo)

The other bands mentioned are really not as loud usually, despite exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Slade fans out there?   Any Slade fans out there? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Slade fans out there?
Page 1 of 1